Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Caps 1: Because Kunitz Maattas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Flyer fan here and as much as i hate to say it and shudder at the thought, penguins will raise the cup this year. I dont think any team can stop you this year. I picked the pens before the playoffs started and your team's play in the first 2 rounds reinforced it. You dont have the most talented defensemen overall but the defensive system you guys play is impressive....i wish i am wrong about my prediction, but i dont see anyone in the east stop you. You might run into some trouble with the blues, but shouldnt happen.

Injuries are the wild card.If the caps dont take out crosby malkin or letang, there isnt a team out there that should beat the penguins.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
he was crappy against the Rangers. I hope he continues to be great for the rest of the playoffs and HBK is a huge part of a cup run. I will gladly eat crow and my own face, but right now he's had 2 good games out of 7.

You say that, yet he still put up 5 points in 5 games against them. Though 7 games, he leads the team in assists (7), is tied with Crosby for 2nd on the team in points (8), only one being Malkin (9), leads all forwards in +/- (+5) and is only +1 behind Letang and Cole for the team lead in +/-. He's also got the best FO% of all the Pens' regular centers at 49.6% (team is struggling there).

Either way, that line has been key for this team so far. The fact that we regularly run Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel all on their own lines makes it very hard to defend. Even harder when Cullen's line can go out there and play the way they do.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
he was crappy against the Rangers. I hope he continues to be great for the rest of the playoffs and HBK is a huge part of a cup run. I will gladly eat crow and my own face, but right now he's had 2 good games out of 7.

I feel like they've had decent games and possessed the puck well but didn't score. They're dominating possession in this series. Kessel is getting his looks and just missing.

If anything, the Cullen line should be considered the one that needs breaking up. I need to pay closer attention to how they're being deployed because unless its all D-zone starts against the Caps top six when Sid isn't out there, they're not nearly good enough.

Getting outshot two to one for awhile now. I'd consider going with a three line model and move Cullen up.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Rest? who needs rest. Letang is not even a human being, he's a robot set to beast mode.

Yepp. He's the only guy who played last night who is practicing today. Guy is a monster.

Edit:

Also this team is becoming likable again.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
And to think, Letang had a stroke a few years ago.

Going away from Washington tied is great, it is encouraging as well to think that we could easily be 2-0 up.

Win our games at home and we'll be fine. Win Game 3 and I could see us win the series in 5.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Going away from Washington tied is great, it is encouraging as well to think that we could easily be 2-0 up.

Win our games at home and we'll be fine. Win Game 3 and I could see us win the series in 5.

I don't understand how anyone could think we can win this in five. Both games were 1 goal games. I thought we deserved Game 2, and almost didn't win it. I thought Game 1 was bad all around in terms of quality, but we missed a chance to steal it.

1 goal games so far. That's what we have. Until the Pens really solve Holtby and put 4-5 in, then this is going to be a long series 50/50 chance. We controlled play big time, but our powerplay almost made us lose while Washington's kept them in the game. We said it before... it could end a series for us one day.

Lot of series left. There is no definitive in this series. That notion needs to be stopped.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I think 5 is wishful thinking tbh, still say 6 even if Pens do manage a 3-1 lead. Would lose in Washington, they will be fighting to survive, then we take game 6 at home.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't understand how anyone could think we can win this in five. Both games were 1 goal games. I thought we deserved Game 2, and almost didn't win it. I thought Game 1 was bad all around in terms of quality, but we missed a chance to steal it.

1 goal games so far. That's what we have. Until the Pens really solve Holtby and put 4-5 in, then this is going to be a long series 50/50 chance. We controlled play big time, but our powerplay almost made us lose while Washington's kept them in the game. We said it before... it could end a series for us one day.

Lot of series left. There is no definitive in this series. That notion needs to be stopped.

If we can keep the series decided at ES and Malkin gets going, this doesn't go 7.

I don't expect our PP to do much this series. The Caps PK is good and Holtby is even better. Just match whatever the Caps put up on us and make special teams a draw.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He's a freak of nature but he also doesn't play 82 games. I'm really curious about what his limit with TOI in one game would be before he was out of gas, though.

I really don't think missing games in December has anything to do with how much time he can play in April and May though.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Williams is Kunitzing it in this series. Kuznetsov is playing with half a line like Geno is right now. I'd match those two up at home and tell Geno to win that matchup if you want to win this series.

Let the Kessel line **** on Mike Richards.

Kuznetsov line was matched with Cullen's line yesterday and against Bonino's in the first game. That line (Kuzy's) was non factor in their first round against the Flyers, and is non factor so far in this series. I think every our line would match pretty well against them. Even the line with Geno and two our worst wingers.

Tortz's matching Malkin with Beagle tho, who's a pretty good checking center, and with Carlson-Orpik. Considering that Malkin is playing with Kunitz-Fehr it's really tough matchup for him.

We don't have a checking line, so matching Crosby-Hornqvist +Letang with Backstrom-Ovechkin + Niskanen seems fair.

Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel are reaping the benefits being matched against Caps third pairing right now. With Sid and Geno drawing 1st and 2nd.
I think Bonino was our best forward in two games.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really don't think missing games in December has anything to do with how much time he can play in April and May though.

I think it's twofold, or possibly is. He's clearly a freak but he's also missing time so we can't be sure about what effect that would have right now. He misses time but he's also recovering from his latest injury, but he's not taking more abuse during that time and other things are allowed to recuperate.

I think the question is if he could handle this in a deep cup run. He probably could but then what happens next season?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm with Cole. I expect this to be 6 at the shortest, win or lose.
Yup. Too many variables. Will a game be decided by special teams? Will Murray or Holtby (more likely) absolutely steal a game their team doesn't deserve? Will a huge star come up big in a game their team didn't deserve?

Too many variables. Ceteris Paribus - I like our chances. I've learned that in sports, it rarely goes by the books.

He's a freak of nature but he also doesn't play 82 games. I'm really curious about what his limit with TOI in one game would be before he was out of gas, though.

I would love Letang to take a page out of Kessel's book going into the future. It's okay to take a few 50/50 plays off and just play it safe. Just stay on d-side positioning instead of putting your body in harm's way 24/7. He'd be healthier, guaranteed.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Agree with you there. Like I said, they aren't doing the same things they did against NY, but Washington is better against that line. Period. But that sequence is exactly why that line should be together for as long as they can.

I cannot wait to see what happens at home where we get Sid matched up away from Backstrom. Sully's matchups might be able to spark a few lines.

And don't forget Geno's goal in game 1. That line forced a turnover and kept them hemmed in while we jumped Geno's line on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad