OT: Penn Station renovation and what it means for Madison Square Garden

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Please discuss here.

23849795369_6b059906f2_k-thumb.jpg

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/01/07/penn_stations_3b_renovation_plans_revealed.php

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
These plans would mean the garden is staying where it is, I'm all for a redesign of penn. it's a dump currently but I love the designs they have planned going forward

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I feel the Garden is a great name for the city of NY, and sports to be honest.
I don`t understand the renovation topic.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

They're renovating Penn Station, which is the transportation hub that Madison Square Garden sits on top of. It likely means some major changes to the Garden, but I haven't seen many details on this. Biggest thing I saw in the NY Times article is that they may have to get rid of the Theater at MSG. But hopefully it also means much better, cleaner food options in the Penn concourse.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Obviously it doesn't have to be a one or the other type of situation, but Penn Station is far more important to the city than MSG. It really isn't close at all.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Obviously it doesn't have to be a one or the other type of situation, but Penn Station is far more important to the city than MSG. It really isn't close at all.

Yes, I understand better now; Penn Station's severe overcrowding issues. And the plans looks great - hopefully they figure it out financially how to approach it.
We`ve similar issues where I live, and too many people start to settle on an small popular island, and we need to drive over 1 bridge to our main city, Tønsberg.
And it`s usually traffic chaos around (3.30-4 pm.) :)

11262115_1123628494323350_1131841145_n.jpg

Last edited:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It's about time, when I am in NY I spend way way too much time in Penn Station, my good friend is a bartender on the tracks, his job encourages people to hang out all day. lol

Holy smokes is it dirty and nasty down there.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
It's about time, when I am in NY I spend way way too much time in Penn Station, my good friend is a bartender on the tracks, his job encourages people to hang out all day. lol

Holy smokes is it dirty and nasty down there.

yes its dirty and nasty down there now, but its about 100% better than it used to be circa 2000 or so.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
As long as there's still an easily accessible rose's and the Rangers play in NYC it really doesn't matter to me. No doubt Penn is a dump but it comes with the territory of using public transportation in NY. As someone mentioned those plans include leaving MSG as is which is a win-win no?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
yes its dirty and nasty down there now, but its about 100% better than it used to be circa 2000 or so.

I just texted my buddy, he wasn't too enthused with the renovations, it seems there's still a segment of the population that is too lazy to walk to the restrooms 250 feet away.

You're right though, it's cleaner than 15 years ago but it's long overdue for renovation. Honestly though who knows if they even fix the tracks. They may just try and make the upstairs look pretty.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The entire god damn subway system could use a renovation. It's repulsive.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
The entire god damn subway system could use a renovation. It's repulsive.

But it has a certain je ne sais quoi, if you think about it. The trash, the falling off tiles, the smell of urine. It gives off this aura of "why the **** didn't I take my car to work today," only for you to realize that you work in the city and the traffic always ****ing blows.

Wait, what are we talking about? Either way, Wyoming is a great place to live in.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Its been around for 100 years and 8M people live in this city. Would love to know how it could look better given those circumstances.

Rip a page from Tokyo, Moscow, and London. That, and hire competent project managers and city planners to finish whatever tasks they have at hand before starting on a new project. I mean something like the 2nd Avenue line should have been completed by now.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Rip a page from Tokyo, Moscow, and London. That, and hire competent project managers and city planners to finish whatever tasks they have at hand before starting on a new project. I mean something like the 2nd Avenue line should have been completed by now.

London's subway absolutely sucks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Its been around for 100 years and 8M people live in this city. Would love to know how it could look better given those circumstances.

I don't think it's an age issue so much as a maintenance issue.

With that said, I do think New Yorkers tend to take their transportation systems for granted.

Trust me, living in areas with little or no viable mass transit will change your perception of how important its appearance is.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

With that said, I do think New Yorkers tend to take their transportation systems for granted.

Trust me, living in areas with little or no viable mass transit will change your perception of how important its appearance is.

Given it's age, I think the overall "dinginess" is inevitable.

I curse to high heaven when there are delays and shutdowns, but the system itself is amazing and probably the best in the world given it's load when you think about it.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Honestly, New York is one of the filthiest, most disgusting "big cities" in the entire world. The entire ****ing city needs a renovation. I think Penn Station's needed a renovation or a total move for a while now, and the subway system's needed a total revamp for decades. Unfortunately, with the way the city's structured, it would be hard to do much of anything without tearing the entire city apart.

I really wish we still had the old Penn Station, now that thing was ****ing gorgeous.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

New Yorkers, definitely, take the fact that the system is 24 hours for granted.

It can make for some really inconvenient vacations in other cities cough Rome cough.

London's subway is horrid.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Ours aren't too spectacular as well. Heavy rainfall and you can expect certain lines to either be running late or to be out of service.

The best is when trains start running express for no reason.

Moscow's system is terrific. There's a train every minute. Why the hell do I have to wait 20 minutes during rush hour?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
New Yorkers, definitely, take the fact that the system is 24 hours for granted.

It can make for some really inconvenient vacations in other cities cough Rome cough.

London's subway is horrid.

Tokyo does it all the best. Imagine New York, but significantly larger, significantly cleaner, significantly more modern, and overall better maintained.

Just how do you fix things when you're dealing with a city that's over 100 years old built on over 100 year old infrastructure housing 8 million people. How do you do that without displacing thousands of people? It's just an awkward situation, and anything anybody would try would take years to do anyway, which is very discouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad