News: Penguins will not buy out any players

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hunwick is still a serviceable bottom pairing dman.

He was a great bottom pairing guy until his concussion then after that, he never regained his mojo. I expect him to have a bounce back pretty easily.

That said, what do bottom pairing guys normally go for?

If the Penguins want to move him, it's cap related and not necessarily performance related.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Barring a trade, it's fine for him and Ruhwedel to battle it out for a 7th Dman and it all evens out because Ruhwedel is such great value. If we were to buy out Hunwick, it would make more sense the following summer rather than this one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would they buyout hunwick? He's hardly even a caphit if ceiling is 80m

Don't think 'team that doesn't need to buy anyone out isn't going to' is big news or there would be about 20 team threads

Bingo on the first part. There's genuinely no purpose of buying out Hunwick, his cap hit is way too small to even justify it. Stashing him in the minors costs you $1.25 million a year or so for 2 years, while a buyout would cost you about $3 million over 4 years. Just not worth it.

Reactions: domaug and Giskard

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Because Matt Hunwick is awful only Martin Marincin is worse, I'd rather go with 5 D men then bring Matt Hunwick back.

**** that
we would save cap (a little bit anyways) and trade from a position of strength (the guys been a healthy scratch for nearly half the season) to add depth to a position of need

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They'll probably take on more players other teams happened to give up on, then take them in and turn them into star players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad