News Article: Penguins want Jet Fuel

penguins2946*

Pens fan here. The Pens don't have the assets to get really any of them, unless a package of Bennett, Despres, a 1st and prospects will be enough (which I doubt). Maatta and Pouliot has been deemed untouchable by Shero from the way it sounds (Pouliot is extremely unique to the system and Maatta is fantastic). I highly doubt the Pens have the goods to get any of Kane, Ladd or Wheeler. Any offer from the Pens will basically be Despres+Sutter/Bennett+1st+prospects, which the Jets shouldn't and wouldn't take. That's what happens when a team has been a playoff team since 06-07, their highly valuable trade able assets become scarce.

Setoguchi is an interesting option though. He played exactly how the Pens would want him to play in San Jose while along Thornton. I'd be all over Setoguchi.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Pens fan here. The Pens don't have the assets to get really any of them, unless a package of Bennett, Despres, a 1st and prospects will be enough (which I doubt). Maatta and Pouliot has been deemed untouchable by Shero from the way it sounds (Pouliot is extremely unique to the system and Maatta is fantastic). I highly doubt the Pens have the goods to get any of Kane, Ladd or Wheeler. Any offer from the Pens will basically be Despres+Sutter/Bennett+1st+prospects, which the Jets shouldn't and wouldn't take. That's what happens when a team has been a playoff team since 06-07, their highly valuable trade able assets become scarce.

Pouliot or Maatta would have to be included to get things started, they would be the reasons we're making this trade in the first place. If that gets no traction, I think we're pretty much done.

Setoguchi is an interesting option though. He played exactly how the Pens would want him to play in San Jose while along Thornton. I'd be all over Setoguchi.

Like I said on the other boards, 2015 2nd + prospect.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Funny, I was speculating with friends the other day about trading Wheeler to Pitts...thought something around Sutter, Depres and Bennett (or Harrington, especially if we also trade Buff for a forward or two).

Maybe one of my friends is secretly ghost writing for Lawless?

In the end, it makes much more sense to trade Setoguchi for one of their LHD prospects. Highly unlikely Chevy trades 2 core guys (Buff and Wheeler) anyways.

penguins2946*

Setoguchi for Megna + conditional 2nd in 2015. Do it.

Make the 2nd unconditional and change Megna to Kuhnhackl and I'd do it.

Pouliot or Maatta would have to be included to get things started, they would be the reasons we're making this trade in the first place. If that gets no traction, I think we're pretty much done.

Yeah, I can't see the Pens trading for either of then then. Our top-4 is going to consist of those 2, Letang and Harrington in the near future (2 or 3 years). The Pens love both (and Harrington). I can't see the Pens moving any of them. Unless Despres is an enticing starting piece, I don't see any deal to be made.

Like I said on the other boards, 2015 2nd + prospect.

I offered Kuhnhackl (4th round in 2010) and a 2015 2nd a while back and it was taken pretty well.

penguins2946*

Didn't realize Megna had that much value to the Pens, wow. At any rate, I would do this deal.

Just curious, what's Reid McNeill's value relative to Kuhnhackl?

It's not that he's extremely valuable, it's just that him and Bennett are literally the only forwards that we've developed in the last few years. He's also our 3rd line RW when healthy. McNeill's value is similar to Kuhnhackl's in the sense that it's not a lot.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Kane Crosby Kunitz line would be incredible.

The Penguins franchise are not cheapskates & know how to assemble an all star team year after year.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I have no idea how you are able to claim that I don't like Seto. All I said was that he was a rental player that cost us a 2nd rounder. That's hardly an opinion; it's fact. I also didn't say we needed to sell the farm. You seem to be making things up out of thin air...are you my wife?
How is Seto a rental player? Frankly I wouldn't mind resigning him if he wants to be here. He's a good 3rd/4th line player now, and actually plays well with Kane & Scheifele on our 2nd line, if we can't find a replacement, then let's keep him.

You suggested we need more picks, we don't, we need consistent players. And a system that works with our players.

Now get dressed, you're taking me out to dinner. After you take out the garbage that is.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Thanks for this! :)

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Seto would be an excellent, economical short term option for the Pens. If they want a long term option, the Flyers probably match up better. Voracek would look good next to Sid.

Other more expensive short term options could be Vanek and Moulsen as I believe both are FA's this summer(?).

penguins2946*

Thanks for this! :)

It's fun to talk about a legit winger for Crosby, but it's just not going to happen. Yeah, Wheeler would be sexy as hell along Crosby, but we just don't have the assets to get him.

I think Seto would be an excellent, economical short term option for the Pens. If they want a long term option, the Flyers probably match up better. Voracek would look good next to Sid.

Other more expensive short term options could be Vanek and Moulsen as I believe both are FA's this summer(?).

I'm not sure, Seto could be a long term solution. Hell, he put up 30-30 in a similar system with a playmaking center, so I think he could do it again with Crosby. The Pens would never make a big trade with the Pens, especially with Voracek involved. Remember this:

6a0120a6dde087970b0167652f7d97970b-pi

I'd trade for him today to see how he does in half a season along Crosby so I know if he works with Sid.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

Multiquote isn't working for me, but imagine it did and the most recent messages from guerzy and allan5oh are here too.

Here's my (half of an) idea:

Byfuglien to Philadelphia for Wayne Simmonds and Braydon Coburn - maybe a little something on the side, too?

Might scare Shero into really overpaying if he's convinced one of our top 3 wingers is the way to go. Plus Simmonds sorta pre-fills the hole. Or maybe he's the one to go to Pittsburgh.

See what I mean about half an idea?

I don't know many non-Jets contracts, so I'm not sure cap-wise, NMC-wise, or contract-duration-aka-fa-status-wise if Buff for Simmonds and Coburn works for either team, but how do you guys think it looks as a pure hockey trade, and should Philly be tossing more in the pot? Would it be easier or harder to dance with Shero after that? After making that trade, is there even a trade to be done anymore?

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Multiquote isn't working for me, but imagine it did and the most recent messages from guerzy and allan5oh are here too.

Here's my (half of an) idea:

Byfuglien to Philadelphia for Wayne Simmonds and Braydon Coburn - maybe a little something on the side, too?

Might scare Shero into really overpaying if he's convinced one of our top 3 wingers is the way to go. Plus Simmonds sorta pre-fills the hole. Or maybe he's the one to go to Pittsburgh.

See what I mean about half an idea?

I don't know many non-Jets contracts, so I'm not sure cap-wise, NMC-wise, or contract-duration-aka-fa-status-wise if Buff for Simmonds and Coburn works for either team, but how do you guys think it looks as a pure hockey trade, and should Philly be tossing more in the pot? Would it be easier or harder to dance with Shero after that? After making that trade, is there even a trade to be done anymore?

Pittsburgh would never never never do a trade with Philly in any way.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Kane Crosby Kunitz line would be incredible.

The Penguins franchise are not cheapskates & know how to assemble an all star team year after year.

I not sure how cheapskates comes into play.

I think that as unlikely as a deal is between the two teams, if it's Maata for Wheeler you have to pull the trigger. I like Blake but that'sa win for the Jets. I still think you can get 2 to 6 forwards for Byfuglien, and there are sine really nice players coming up in free agency (Stasny, anyone? ). A team with Maata and the Schenns is better than a team with Wheeler and Buff, especially in the longer run.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I not sure how cheapskates coves into play.

I think that as unlikely as a deal is between the two teams, if it's Maata for Wheeler you have to pull the trigger. I like Blake but that'sa win for the Jets. I still think you can get 2 to 6 forwards for Byfuglien, and there are sine really nice players coming up in free agency (Stasny, anyone? ). A team with Maata and the Schenns is better than a team with Wheeler and Buff, especially in the longer run.

How is Wheeler for Maata a win for us? I like Maata, and he's been good for the Pens, but Wheeler is the proven player, and he's signed for 5 more years.

Maata "may" turn into a top pairing D man, but the Jets need to be compensated in the trade to take on that risk.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How is Wheeler for Maata a win for us? I like Maata, and he's been good for the Pens, but Wheeler is the proven player, and he's signed for 5 more years.

Maata "may" turn into a top pairing D man, but the Jets need to be compensated in the trade to take on that risk.

I like Wheeler. I do not want to trade him. However I think you are understating Maatas value. Wheeler is also very streaky and I think it's far easier to replace Wheeler via FA than it is to get a player like Maata

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Exactly. Hey, lets take our leading scorer from last season and trade him for a prospect d-man that may or may not pan out.

jetkarma*

Maata for Wheeler straight up isn't going to happen nor do I think it fair or that Pitt would think they could get it done with just one for one.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I like Wheeler. I do not want to trade him. However I think you are understating Maatas value. Wheeler is also very streaky and I think it's far easier to replace Wheeler via FA than it is to get a player like Maata

Agree to disagree then. Where you think I am underestimating Maata (who I like), I think you are overestimating Maata, while underestimating Wheeler and the value of the proven player on a nice 5 year deal.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Exactly. Hey, lets take our leading scorer from last season and trade him for a prospect d-man that may or may not pan out.

Well, I don't think it's a question of if he may or may not pan out. He's widely regarded as a top 4 D for sure, probably top pair. If we added him, we would be adding a need (top 4 LHD) and basically locking up our top defense pairs for, possibly, a decade without significantly hurting the future. A top four that looks like Trouba, Enstrom, Maata, and Bogosian is pretty damn hot. As has been said, Wheeler is easier (and don't misunderstand, I'm not saying he's EASY to find) to find on the free market than a top D.

And I don't think we'd take him straight up either, I assume that Chevy wouldn't make this trade straight up. Wheeler would require Maata and another prospect/pick. This would just be on the reasoning that we have all the leverage in this situation.

But I think it's a fantasy. I don't think it'll happen. Just talking about what ifs, at least from my perspective.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I would probably not do Wheeler for Maatta one for one, but Maatta already looks like a top pairing D man. Might be the team making him look better, but he's really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad