News Article: Penguins want Jet Fuel

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agree to disagree then. Where you think I am underestimating Maata (who I like), I think you are overestimating Maata, while underestimating Wheeler and the value of the proven player on a nice 5 year deal.

The truth is, this deal 99% won't happen anyway and that doesn't bother me. I have always been a Wheeler fan and am happy to have him on the team.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Well, I don't think it's a question of if he may or may not pan out. He's widely regarded as a top 4 D for sure, probably top pair. If we added him, we would be adding a need (top 4 LHD) and basically locking up our top defense pairs for, possibly, a decade without significantly hurting the future. A top four that looks like Trouba, Enstrom, Maata, and Bogosian is pretty damn hot. As has been said, Wheeler is easier (and don't misunderstand, I'm not saying he's EASY to find) to find on the free market than a top D.

And I don't think we'd take him straight up either, I assume that Chevy wouldn't make this trade straight up. Wheeler would require Maata and another prospect/pick. This would just be on the reasoning that we have all the leverage in this situation.

But I think it's a fantasy. I don't think it'll happen. Just talking about what ifs, at least from my perspective.

You don't trade your #1 RW for an unproven prospect d-man - one that may or may not pan out, as stated. Thank goodness none of you are our GM. Maataa is only seeing icetime right now due injuries to the Pens D. I'm aware he is still just a kid but here is an example of his recent play...

[nhl]523451[/nhl]

As stated, while he is a good prospect, there is zero guarantee that he will pan out to a top 4 D. He is still just a prospect, period. He wouldn't be the main piece coming back in a trade for Wheeler.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You don't trade your #1 RW for an unproven prospect d-man - one that may or may not pan out, as stated. Thank goodness none of you are our GM. Maataa is only seeing icetime right now due injuries to the Pens D. I'm aware he is still just a kid but here is an example of his recent play...

As stated, while he is a good prospect, there is zero guarantee that he will pan out to a top 4 D. He is still just a prospect, period. He wouldn't be the main piece coming back in a trade for Wheeler.

With that being said though I'm a huge Maatta fan and was actually hoping we'd grab him in that draft. Obviously I'm happy now that we took Trouba instead, but Maatta will be a great player.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
You don't trade your #1 RW for an unproven prospect d-man - one that may or may not pan out, as stated. Thank goodness none of you are our GM.

Absolutely, honestly if I was the GM I'd be way too **** scared to do this. It's a crazy, ballsy move that would be a huge gamble. Just looking at what the team looks like if this does go down.

I'm only saying all of this for the sake of clarity, I'm not advocating for this trade.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

[nhl]523451[/nhl]

It really depends on the entire package. Any time you trade a top 6 forward or top 4 D and don't get one back in return, there better be one hell of a package coming back.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Instead of trading one of Kane, Ladd, or Wheeler to the Pens, and then having to move Buff to get some forwards, how about Chevy convinces Shero to trade for Buff and have him play on Sid's wing? ;)

Show him clips of the Blackhawks run with Buff owning in the crease, and let Shero imagine him playing and opening up room for Sid.

Pens get their "winger", and the Jets turn Buff into a young LHD (Mataa, Depres, or Pouliot), plus another asset or two.

(Only half serious here....)

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
It really depends on the entire package. Any time you trade a top 6 forward or top 4 D and don't get one back in return, there better be one hell of a package coming back.

No. The main piece coming back for our leading scorer won't be a prospect, as stated, package deal or not. The Jets are not anywhere near deep enough to trade their leading scorer in exchange for futures, nor are the Jets in a rebuild. They do not have his replacement on the farm right now. Wheeler must bring back at minimum one roster player if he is traded, and a good one at that. You can't as a GM when making a trade replace 60 points currently the lineup with players that might produce someday down the line; that sends a horrible message to those that remain because you are essentially throwing in the towel by doing so. You need to give consideration to the rest of your roster when making trades as well.

That sort of trade can only happen at the deadline if the Jets are completely mathematically eliminated at that point.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
To further fuel the fire, kinda:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5330147-74/shero-crosby-penguins#axzz2pVbkF39x

The Neal deal, understandably, has led to a lot of scuttlebutt recently about Winnipeg's Evander Kane, a 22-year-old winger two years removed from scoring 30 goals. He has four years left on a contract that counts $5.25 million annually against the salary cap.

The Jets reportedly would part with Kane.

Reports are not what Shero trusts this time of year.

He trusts actual conversations with fellow managers, and as of this week, he and Winnipeg's Kevin Cheveldayoff had not talked about Kane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad