Pre-Game Talk: Penguins vs. Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
A lot of us agree, but we are talking about the pens powerplay. It's run from the top of the umbrella. Until they change the concept, then ppqb means top point.

I definitely want the change and Kessel running things like Mario used to... From the left circle. Then watch that old 89 PP. You can learn so much just from watching Mario and Coffey. I also wouldnt mind a mirror image of the old Whitney backdoor play using Malkin.

Malkin112*

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'll reference two powerplays that put their best player on the weak side. Ovy is constantly on the weak side. Lemieux was constantly on the weak side. I believe Bret Hull was, too, but i was a youngster during his days. Sid being on the weak side means the defensive box has to stretch to make sure they are accountable for Sid. If they lose him for a split second, it might be a goal.

Hull played more toward the center, though he sort of went wherever he wanted, too. Majority of his damage came where Schenn/Oshie are on the Flyers/Caps PP.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Loathe as I am to agree with Wilson, I thought they've been horrible for a few games now, especially Ian Cole last game. Maybe mess around and swap Maatta with Cole. If he can't babysit scuds without getting scored on, all the more reason to get #4 the frig out of the lineup.

The important thing is that they keep benching Clendening. This strategy I'm sure will work out in the longrun.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
I know it's Wilson but interesting take on how bad Letang-Cole pairing has been.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Time-For-A-New-Top-Pairing/177/72297

It doesn't even matter how bad the first pair is. I don't think anything will be changed as long as the Pens are winning regular season games and Fleury is standing on his head every night. I mean what good does it do to view advanced statistics if even the most obvious flaws, observable night in and night out by simply just watching the game, aren't addressed.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I know it wasn't a dirty play, but why am i not surprised he got injured against the Flyers. Oh well, Crosby vs Mcdavid will have to wait until next year. Either way, Edmonton is better than their record, hope the pens are ready from the beginning. Would be nice to get 6 in a row.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
A lot of us agree, but we are talking about the pens powerplay. It's run from the top of the umbrella. Until they change the concept, then ppqb means top point.

Look, I didn't play hockey at a high enough level to have gotten into this depth of detail about power play setups, so I am unable to discuss with any degree of credibility the pros and cons of such things as how running a power play from the "weak side" affects the PK box, etc.

What I do know, though, is this...our power play stinks, and has stunk for almost a year now. It seems clear to me that Letang is not the guy through whom this team should be running the power play. He has no shot from the point, his passing ability is very "mediocre" IMO, and his decision making seems poor to me. However, what he DOES do well is he keeps the puck in the zone very well, at the point, and he has the speed to get back and defend, and break up odd-man short handed breaks. So he's not useless, but it seems obvious that he shouldn't be the guy through whom the PP runs, through whom the whole thing is funneled.

SO -- here's my question. We have all-world forwards like Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and one of the best -- if not the best in the world -- net-front presences in Hornqvist, so HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD can our coaches not be doing WHATEVER it takes to get this thing rolling? Talent is obviously NOT what is lacking. It is obviously either discipline (players freelancing), or strategy -- and that includes the possibility that the main problem is they keep running everything through Letang. I'm pretty convinced it's mainly strategy, and then this failing strategy is CAUSING some freelancing from the players, out of frustration with the lack of results. But whatever the case, WHY does this team keep forcing an umbrella setup, that runs through Letang, when it's clearly not working???? What is wrong with these coaches? Why the stubbornness? Why trying to hammer square pegs in round holes -- when we have all the evidence in the world that it's not working? What is wrong with these people??? How can you not clearly see that the talent is here, enough so that this SHOULD be the one of the top PPs in the league -- and if it's not, we need to look at ANY AND ALL solutions/strategies to maximize our talent to lead to the right results. WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR THESE COACHES???

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Shame we won't get to see Crosby vs. Mcdavid.

Although I have a feeling Connor might have embarrassed Sid. I truly feel like he could be better.

it might feel like that because were seeing sid in his decline, sid from 05-2011 was amazing, i feel mcdaid will be lucky to be THAT good.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Any word on the lineup? Really hoping MAF site tonight so I can see him play tomorrow. Don't think I have seen a game live with him, Malkin and Sid all playing.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Look, I didn't play hockey at a high enough level to have gotten into this depth of detail about power play setups, so I am unable to discuss with any degree of credibility the pros and cons of such things as how running a power play from the "weak side" affects the PK box, etc.

What I do know, though, is this...our power play stinks, and has stunk for almost a year now. It seems clear to me that Letang is not the guy through whom this team should be running the power play. He has no shot from the point, his passing ability is very "mediocre" IMO, and his decision making seems poor to me. However, what he DOES do well is he keeps the puck in the zone very well, at the point, and he has the speed to get back and defend, and break up odd-man short handed breaks. So he's not useless, but it seems obvious that he shouldn't be the guy through whom the PP runs, through whom the whole thing is funneled.

SO -- here's my question. We have all-world forwards like Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and one of the best -- if not the best in the world -- net-front presences in Hornqvist, so HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD can our coaches not be doing WHATEVER it takes to get this thing rolling? Talent is obviously NOT what is lacking. It is obviously either discipline (players freelancing), or strategy -- and that includes the possibility that the main problem is they keep running everything through Letang. I'm pretty convinced it's mainly strategy, and then this failing strategy is CAUSING some freelancing from the players, out of frustration with the lack of results. But whatever the case, WHY does this team keep forcing an umbrella setup, that runs through Letang, when it's clearly not working???? What is wrong with these coaches? Why the stubbornness? Why trying to hammer square pegs in round holes -- when we have all the evidence in the world that it's not working? What is wrong with these people??? How can you not clearly see that the talent is here, enough so that this SHOULD be the one of the top PPs in the league -- and if it's not, we need to look at ANY AND ALL solutions/strategies to maximize our talent to lead to the right results. WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR THESE COACHES???

I don't know man. I think some of the best Penguins powerplays were the ********* teams. If I'm not mistaken, our PP during the x-gen was in the top 5 one year. I think x's and o's are more a part of powerplays than people know.

For instance, Philly ran a specific powerplay a few years ago against DB's PK. They just knew it would work. DB failed to adjust. He kept having Adams get sucked in to the top point and created a 4 on 3 down low. That SAME powerplay went goaless against NY (or something similar) as they completely shut down the scheme and Philly failed to adjust.

I do not think players = good powerplay. Now for your next question "why is this so hard for these coaches"... one word - accountability. Until they hold players accountable by benching them, then nothing will come of it. In fact, the only player who was benched on the PP was doing his ****ing job. Yep, you guessed it, HORNQVIST. :laugh: That's sad accountability.

I'm not picking on Sid here, but for about 2+ years now he's failed at his favorite half-board spot. Either move him or bench him. IMO, the answer is similar to something NAO shows every game. Run the powerplay away from him. PKs are just set up against Sid and nobody else is moving. Blah blah, i've said it all before. I digress. :laugh:

Penguins were 7th overall in the league 2002-2003 season in PP.
Penguins were 8th overall in the league 2003-2004 season in PP.
Penguins were 6th overall in the league 2005-2006 season in PP.

Weird stats man for the crappiest teams.

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
film__3473-free-willy--detail.jpg

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Oilers fan chiming in. I've been a huge pens fan since crosby came into the league. He was and maybe still is my favorite hockey player (besides connor now), but it sucks they won't be head to head tonight. Connor has posters of Sid in his bedroom haha so it would of been cool. I only hope connor is half as good as Sid cus crosby to me is still the best player in the game and he will get back to it soon, just hopefully not tonight.

Also I loved seeing crosby center hall and Ebs at the world's, made me cry tears of joy.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
thanks for being almost helpful there yohe. who stayed late

it's gonna be plotnikov so we can set up the "two guys that need playing time the most" rotation

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The important thing is that they keep benching Clendening. This strategy I'm sure will work out in the longrun.

Funny you should mention that. Yohe wrote today that the front office friggin loves Clendening. You'd never know that judging by the lineups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad