Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Ryan Graves: 6 years, $4.5m AAV

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don’t think this as anywhere close as bad as people in the main board topic, including a few Pens fans. Was happy to see this thread was reasonable.

4.5 is fine. 6 years doesn’t matter because our core will be 95 years old.
Only the first 2 years matter, after that who cares we are rebuilding.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
WTF. Dubas knows there is a cap right?
It will cost a TON to get under it....

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Good player. Much needed size. Should be a notch above Dumo.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Meh I like it… unless he totally craps the bed he will still have value in three years when the cap has gone up and our window is closed so trading him then would not be an issue. In the mean time he is a good 4th d option

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Nah mate. You traumatized yourself. Hextall didn't do the damage that traumatized you wankers. The one that has been, sits behind the bench with the safest job in the franchise.
I have a hard time looking at today's prioritized signings as anything but what Sullivan expressly wanted for the team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like how Yohe-tard says Pettersson is 6'5" like Graves.

Lol

I have a hard time looking at today's prioritized signings as anything but what Sullivan expressly wanted for the team.
What, old veterans that are capable but will be used like shit?

The f*** you been? Under a rock for almost a decade with Sully? We haven't had shit players. We've seen them used in shitty ways.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Haven’t watched much of him. Is he at least decent on the breakout?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Haven’t watched much of him. Is he at least decent on the breakout?
More of a puck carrier than a passer but he's not completely stone handed either.

He took all the hard matchups w/ Marino on NJ. I could imagine that he would have even better results in a somewhat easier role. I don't think he'll be used the same way.

Reactions: mpp9

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Interesting card. Directly contradicts some of the others (on the penalty kill). That data point on recoveries looks very aberrant.

The things that catches my eye though is

a) decent zone exits and zone entries
b) outstanding zone denial

Those are the traits Pittsburgh dmen need. If he can regain dump ins and get it out of danger, he'll do well.

Reactions: Andy99 and Jacob

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Interesting card. Directly contradicts some of the others (on the penalty kill). That data point on recoveries looks very aberrant.

Those are the traits Pittsburgh dmen need. If he can regain dump ins and get it out of danger, he'll do well.

I'm curious how his defensive impact is only ranked at a 19 but his denials are ranked at a 93. You would think that rush denials would have a major impact on defense.

Would defensive impact be like positioning in the defensive zone?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Sometimes there's some glaring contradictions between models. Would love to see actual data that teams use.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm curious how his defensive impact is only ranked at a 19 but his denials are ranked at a 93. You would think that rush denials would have a major impact on defense.

Would defensive impact be like positioning in the defensive zone?

My guess is either an aggregate affected by the recoveries thing, or it's just looking at relative possession stats where's not been great... but in a shutdown role against opposition best where the rest of his team post great stats, what are we expecting?

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I've seen people think the term is extreme, but who cares...we have 2-3 years of trying to cobble together a miracle (where cap hit actually matters) and after that it's time to suck for a good long while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad