Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Dominik Simon (2015 5th Round Pick) to ELC

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This kid won't disappoint. One of the best Czechs on this year WC. Very impressive how he managed to outshine far more experienced players. I've said it immediately... HUGE steal for the Pens.

I have a question for anyone who has watched both Plotnikov and Simon. They both play wing and have played in men's leagues for a couple seasons or more and put up about the same numbers last year. I know the KHL is a better league but how much better? Both players have played with good NHL players at the WC and have done well and not looked out of place doing it. If a player can play well at the WC level why don't they have a shot to play at the NHL level at this time? Why is one talked about as a WBS player and the other maybe having a chance to play on the Malkin line.

I have not seen Simon play but have watched Plotnikov for a few games and liked what I saw and think he will be able to play in our top 9. Just looking for info on Simon and wanting to know how that 6 points going against top competition at the WC means compared to playing NHL competition. Could this kid come into camp and outplay someone like Plotnikov? I would guess not or we would not of got him in the 5th round but just trying to get a grasp on what kind of game the kid plays and his strengths and weaknesses (skating, shot, etc.).

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Well, all i know is that Simon had 1g5a at WC playing on... Jagr's line. Were those mostly primary assists? Was he a product of Jagr or was he actually helping him stack it up?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Plotnikov is four years older and a lot bigger than Simon. More maturity and experience (and in a stronger league) than the Czech kid, that's why he is seen as an NHLer and Simon looks destined for WBS.

Well, all i know is that Simon had 1g5a at WC playing on... Jagr's line. Were those mostly primary assists? Was he a product of Jagr or was he actually helping him stack it up?

It's not as if Simon was glued to Jagr's hip at the tournament. He averaged roughly 10 mins of ice time, didn't get on the PP and they combined for only 1 goal between them (scored by Jagr, 2nd assist by Simon). The other points all came with various other teammates. The Czechs had the oldest team this year so they must have needed his young legs. Simon's ice time went up a bit as the tournament went on, at the same time his scoring (along with his entire team's) decreased.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I have a question for anyone who has watched both Plotnikov and Simon. They both play wing and have played in men's leagues for a couple seasons or more and put up about the same numbers last year. I know the KHL is a better league but how much better? Both players have played with good NHL players at the WC and have done well and not looked out of place doing it. If a player can play well at the WC level why don't they have a shot to play at the NHL level at this time? Why is one talked about as a WBS player and the other maybe having a chance to play on the Malkin line.

I have not seen Simon play but have watched Plotnikov for a few games and liked what I saw and think he will be able to play in our top 9. Just looking for info on Simon and wanting to know how that 6 points going against top competition at the WC means compared to playing NHL competition. Could this kid come into camp and outplay someone like Plotnikov? I would guess not or we would not of got him in the 5th round but just trying to get a grasp on what kind of game the kid plays and his strengths and weaknesses (skating, shot, etc.).

He's considerably younger(5 years) than Plots so i don't see him battling for Plots' roster spot.
He could possibly beat out a Wilson or another WBS youngster/ahl'er for 4th line LW though but i wouldn't count on that.

He's small but he's shifty and smart. Just has to bulk up/get stronger and see where that takes him.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
I think the difference is Plot plays a physical game which will transition much easier to NHL style.
I am still excited to see Simon though, I think he will stay the duration in camp and be a final cut before the season starts.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

Great question which would deserve very comprehensive answer. I will try it to put it to the nutshell.

I have not watched Plotnikov so much, but he is 25 years old regular KHLer playing in the KHL top team which could compete with some NHL clubs. On the other hand Simon is just 20 and he smth. like PROJECT of czech hockey. He is basically the example CZ association shows how they want it to do with young players. He played for Sparta Prague but had not guaranteed top 6 spot so he moved to Pilsen. They put him to the first line and gave him a time. He was pretty much out of shape in the beginning of the season but they still kept him in the first line just because of his potential and room for grow. They let him play for Cz national team in Euro hockey tour even if his performance was poor meanwhile, reason was - int. games help him to grow. That factors logically signaficantly improved his play and he also made a big step up compare to last season. And it also lead to his nomination to WC team (as a 4th liner,he played top 6 just in one match, if I remember clear, nevertheless that 4th line was great all the tourney) He is still making progress so I am not sure if he is complete player like Plotnikov, and he is also smaller. Thats the reason why he will start in AHL if he doesnt outshine everybody in camp imo.....

Problem with the system above is for the league czech clubs imo. Pilsen gave him big chance to develope. However they did not make it to Playoff and he is leaving after one year so he is not bringing it back and they have to find another 1st line center....Which lead me to quality of both leagues. KHL is definetely much higher quality league than CZ extraliga (KHL pretty much hire best european fins,swedes,czechs etc.) On the other hand I dont see any cz player,except KOvar, staying in KHL and become better and better player. Best czech clubs are also able to beat some KHL clubs (at least in preseason game).Still staying in cz league is generally considered as a risk among young cz players with NHL potential. I dont see the big reason for it as they get more and more this "personal" treatment from clubs and national team. Staying one more year in CZ would still help Simon IMO no matter of CZ league quality (its actually not that bad). And clubs would finally benefit from this system. However stats are against my opinion. Recently there was just Hertl going straight from CZ league to NHL and than Michalek before him somewhen around 2004. So because guys like Simon are not that talented, grow later (because cz junior league does not provide that quality as NA junior leagues)and dont know the culture, NHL teams still want them behind sea pretty much ASAP and let him play in AHL even if they would be probably able to play 4th line in NHL immediately. This is where factor of KHL quality helps - plying with guys like Kovalchuk, Radulov etc. make NHL bosses probably more calm than playing with maybe skilled but basically no name guys in CZ :) So rule is clear now: KHL -> NHL; CZ ->AHL->NHL unfortunately :) Sure factor of diff. style of hockey must be mentioned..... Hope I wrote it understandable way :))

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Great question which would deserve very comprehensive answer. I will try it to put it to the nutshell.

I have not watched Plotnikov so much, but he is 25 years old regular KHLer playing in the KHL top team which could compete with some NHL clubs. On the other hand Simon is just 20 and he smth. like PROJECT of czech hockey. He is basically the example CZ association shows how they want it to do with young players. He played for Sparta Prague but had not guaranteed top 6 spot so he moved to Pilsen. They put him to the first line and gave him a time. He was pretty much out of shape in the beginning of the season but they still kept him in the first line just because of his potential and room for grow. They let him play for Cz national team in Euro hockey tour even if his performance was poor meanwhile, reason was - int. games help him to grow. That factors logically signaficantly improved his play and he also made a big step up compare to last season. And it also lead to his nomination to WC team (as a 4th liner,he played top 6 just in one match, if I remember clear, nevertheless that 4th line was great all the tourney) He is still making progress so I am not sure if he is complete player like Plotnikov, and he is also smaller. Thats the reason why he will start in AHL if he doesnt outshine everybody in camp imo.....

Problem with the system above is for the league czech clubs imo. Pilsen gave him big chance to develope. However they did not make it to Playoff and he is leaving after one year so he is not bringing it back and they have to find another 1st line center....Which lead me to quality of both leagues. KHL is definetely much higher quality league than CZ extraliga (KHL pretty much hire best european fins,swedes,czechs etc.) On the other hand I dont see any cz player,except KOvar, staying in KHL and become better and better player. Best czech clubs are also able to beat some KHL clubs (at least in preseason game).Still staying in cz league is generally considered as a risk among young cz players with NHL potential. I dont see the big reason for it as they get more and more this "personal" treatment from clubs and national team. Staying one more year in CZ would still help Simon IMO no matter of CZ league quality (its actually not that bad). And clubs would finally benefit from this system. However stats are against my opinion. Recently there was just Hertl going straight from CZ league to NHL and than Michalek before him somewhen around 2004. So because guys like Simon are not that talented, grow later (because cz junior league does not provide that quality as NA junior leagues)and dont know the culture, NHL teams still want them behind sea pretty much ASAP and let him play in AHL even if they would be probably able to play 4th line in NHL immediately. This is where factor of KHL quality helps - plying with guys like Kovalchuk, Radulov etc. make NHL bosses probably more calm than playing with maybe skilled but basically no name guys in CZ :) So rule is clear now: KHL -> NHL; CZ ->AHL->NHL unfortunately :) Sure factor of diff. style of hockey must be mentioned..... Hope I wrote it understandable way :))

Great stuff. Thanks for your insight and your thoughts. Always nice to read from people who know more about the systems in Europe and the prospects we want to see here with the Pens.

Thanks again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad