Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Dominik Simon (2015 5th Round Pick) to ELC

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
This was first mentioned in the development camp thread.

Source:
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774911

Can't remember the last time we signed a prospect drafted that late the summer of the draft.

It is common for 1st rounders (especially those in the CHL) and I think we might have done it for Harrington but I'm not 100% sure. Simon is a different case though as he's almost 21. Good that it is still a 3 year ELC as hopefully he'll be challenging for a job next year.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
It is common for 1st rounders (especially those in the CHL) and I think we might have done it for Harrington but I'm not 100% sure. Simon is a different case though as he's almost 21. Good that it is still a 3 year ELC as hopefully he'll be challenge for a job next year.

Right, that's why I said 'drafted that late.'

You make a good point in that he is older. It'll be interesting to see how he does in WBS this year, assuming he's coming over.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sorta figured this would happen with him.
Probably ends up in WBS unless he just looks dynamite in camp.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Right, that's why I said 'drafted that late.'

You make a good point in that he is older. It'll be interesting to see how he does in WBS this year, assuming he's coming over.

Harrington was a 2nd rounder but he's the only non 1st rounder signed the summer of his draft that I remember.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Real curious about this guy considering he was a productive player for the Czechs in the last 2 WCs.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Sheary - Porter - Rust
Simon - Mouillierat - Kostopoulos
Uher - Rowney - Kuhnhackl
Archibald - Dea - Macaroni
Zlobin, Loney

Lots of depth in WBS, even more if they sign a 4th liner which pushes someone else down to WBS.

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
This kid won't disappoint. One of the best Czechs on this year WC. Very impressive how he managed to outshine far more experienced players. I've said it immediately... HUGE steal for the Pens.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
This kid won't disappoint. One of the best Czechs on this year WC. Very impressive how he managed to outshine far more experienced players. I've said it immediately... HUGE steal for the Pens.

Is he more of a centre or LWer?

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Harrington was a 2nd rounder but he's the only non 1st rounder signed the summer of his draft that I remember.
Jarry (2nd rounder) was signed the summer he was drafted.

And on paper Simon should be interesting to see in WBS.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Wasn't Sundqvist signed shortly after being drafted?

Sundqvist was signed a day before the rights expired so not really shortly after being drafted :)

I vaguely remember people panicking over here whether or not he'll sign with us.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Based on what i saw from Simon at the WC's he should be a great fit for this team. Fast skater with a pesky style of play. Also packs some skill. He's already close to NHL ready as an energy forward.

To me there's no reason why the Pens shouldn't sign Lapierre. He'd click with Simon IMO.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett
Simon - Lapierre - Dupuis
Farnham

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Sundqvist was signed a day before the rights expired so not really shortly after being drafted :)

I vaguely remember people panicking over here whether or not he'll sign with us.

Yeah. It was a pretty close call, it was right after Shero had gotten fired. Everyone thought it was going to be Matt Moulson 2.0

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I saw on TIOPS "Have the Penguins found Hornqvist 2.0?". Is this who they are talking about?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Maybe we should hire Martin Straka as our head Euro scout if this kid is the real deal.

I would imagine Marty is the reason why we have had a look at him.

I am really excited for this kid. He looks like he can step in a contribute right away with WBS and would be a solid call up and aiming for a spot on the big club next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad