Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: October - No Crosby, no Geno, no problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Do you not think we’ve been a playoff threat the last three years? I mean the results suck, but as I alluded to earlier the Penguins sucked ass in the playoffs during the prime of our players career too.

I wish they didn't go out so quick, but I mean, they've done better than half the league right?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I'm not sure what brought about that interesting end to the thread but I think some of you will be in for a surprise at how competitive the Penguins are for the next few years. Yes, that's with Letang and Malkin. This isn't about legacy, although that's a bonus for me as a fan. It's about the fact that those two are still legitimate stars with a proven playoff track record, and they have both shown that they still have it. The Penguins don't strike me as the type to hand out cash for a legacy. Under Moorehouse they have been very cost-conscious. If legacy is all they think of Malkin going forward (as in his best days are long gone), then they will make him a nice video tribute and call him in a few years when it's jersey retiring time. As it is, they will wait to see how he is after this surgery and make a decision. The Malkin we saw pre-injury is absolutely an impact player in this league, worth 7M at minimum.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm not sure what brought about that interesting end to the thread but I think some of you will be in for a surprise at how competitive the Penguins are for the next few years. Yes, that's with Letang and Malkin. This isn't about legacy, although that's a bonus for me as a fan. It's about the fact that those two are still legitimate stars with a proven playoff track record, and they have both shown that they still have it. The Penguins don't strike me as the type to hand out cash for a legacy. Under Moorehouse they have been very cost-conscious. If legacy is all they think of Malkin going forward (as in his best days are long gone), then they will make him a nice video tribute and call him in a few years when it's jersey retiring time. As it is, they will wait to see how he is after this surgery and make a decision. The Malkin we saw pre-injury is absolutely an impact player in this league, worth 7M at minimum.

The team's resilience when we don't have all the stars or the stars are misfiring is amazing. It goes back years and the resilience is amazing to watch. Not just a Sully thing either; they were similarly great under DB.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think the contract extensions are all that difficult to figure out.

It's been reported Malkin is willing to take a pay cut (Yohe mailbag: On Sidney Crosby's injury timeline, the Penguins' playoff chances and much more).

I don't think the cap hit is the issue for Malkin. He'll get something around $7 million and be fine. The issue is term and that's why they're waiting. The fact that Ovechkin signed for five more years probably surprised Malkin's agency a bit. But if Geno comes back OK, a 3-year deal probably gets it done.

Letang probably won't want a cut, largely because of the money being thrown around to capable defensemen these days. Plus, his pay hasn't been subject to the same scrutiny as Malkin and he's in excellent shape. Again, it might come down to term. Does 3 years at $8 million per get it done?

Rust is the wildcard. He's 29. He's probably going to come close to doubling his current salary. He's going to wait at least five years.

So do you do a deal where you might end up paying a 34-year-old Bryan Rust $6.5 million or $7 million?

I'm not sure. Even if the Pens are in the thick of the playoff race, I wouldn't be opposed to a hockey trade involving Rust at the deadline.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I really have a hard time picturing a situation where Rust isn’t moved at the deadline, most probably as part of a package.
Really? I don't know man. My gut tells me they're gonna try to do everything they can to re-sign Rust. :laugh: Probably move Petts (yay) to re-sign Rust to some squirrely deal (boo).

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Really? I don't know man. My gut tells me they're gonna try to do everything they can to re-sign Rust. :laugh: Probably move Petts (yay) to re-sign Rust to some squirrely deal (boo).

I mean, it wouldn't be the end of the world if the re-signed him (though I think he's actually way more mediocre than conventional wisdom dictates), but I think he's going to be too pricey to get it done in season and Hextall will move him at the deadline for picks or a prospect rather than risk him leaving for absolutely nothing. I think how soon he gets moved depends on the market, but again, I'm just going off my gut read too.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Feel like I can't remember the last time a playoff bound team gave up a top 9 winger at the deadline. Which means they probably have but it's rare. I can see the case for going for an upgrade, but there's not going to be many swings than that.

My money's on him staying to the end and walking.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Feel like I can't remember the last time a playoff bound team gave up a top 9 winger at the deadline. Which means they probably have but it's rare. I can see the case for going for an upgrade, but there's not going to be many swings than that.

My money's on him staying to the end and walking.

Yeah I think this is what I would guess, too.

And if they sign Rust... it makes extensions to Letang and Malkin that much harder. And with some current roster players showing early signs of productivity plus some possible options coming on next season from the farm I just don't see the team prioritizing Rust. I could be wrong but it feels like a pretty obvious misstep they wouldn't take.

I'm not trying to hate on Rust. Love the guy... been a part of some big moments. But he's a pretty... complimentary... player. I don't see him as a major cog.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I think this is what I would guess, too.

And if they sign Rust... it makes extensions to Letang and Malkin that much harder. And with some current roster players showing early signs of productivity plus some possible options coming on next season from the farm I just don't see the team prioritizing Rust. I could be wrong but it feels like a pretty obvious misstep they wouldn't take.

I'm not trying to hate on Rust. Love the guy... been a part of some big moments. But he's a pretty... complimentary... player. I don't see him as a major cog.

Yup.

Although I might suggest recasting how we look at it. Letang and Malkin probably don't take up much extra money. Getting them signed is about the team and the player agreeing on their value, and the term. Maaaaaybe they both smack the league around, and are less team focused than in the past, and there's a bit of a raise, but I doubt it's going to be major. They take up the same amount of money agin.

Where Rust's money comes from is the guys surrounding them. We know there's probably money to be freed up there from Zucker and a LD, but what do you do with it? Kappy's got to get a share, right? Beyond that - investing a little more in the net would make sense. All of Heinen, ERod, and Simon could play their way into being guys we want to keep and will need to give more money to. POJ and DOC have expiring contracts too, I doubt they're getting the opportunity to shoot for major raises but you know. There's a lot of hands stretched out for the non-core money - before we even consider whether we can stretch things to put another big name in - and I think Rust is a) going to have to go some and b) offer a home town discount to be the best use of it

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yup.

Although I might suggest recasting how we look at it. Letang and Malkin probably don't take up much extra money. Getting them signed is about the team and the player agreeing on their value, and the term. Maaaaaybe they both smack the league around, and are less team focused than in the past, and there's a bit of a raise, but I doubt it's going to be major. They take up the same amount of money agin.

Where Rust's money comes from is the guys surrounding them. We know there's probably money to be freed up there from Zucker and a LD, but what do you do with it? Kappy's got to get a share, right? Beyond that - investing a little more in the net would make sense. All of Heinen, ERod, and Simon could play their way into being guys we want to keep and will need to give more money to. POJ and DOC have expiring contracts too, I doubt they're getting the opportunity to shoot for major raises but you know. There's a lot of hands stretched out for the non-core money - before we even consider whether we can stretch things to put another big name in - and I think Rust is a) going to have to go some and b) offer a home town discount to be the best use of it

Yeah that's a better way to look at it. It probably won't really have much of an impact on Letang/Malkin. I really, really think they will clock in right about where they already are as a pair. But not spending the likely 6-7M on Rust's extension SHOULD allow upgrades in net (if needed?) and raises for other guys that are due them.

I know it's early yet and the bloom is still on the rose but I feel a LOT better about the future of the complimentary elements around the core after these first three games. I'm sure players will settle closer to their real level as the year goes on but it's encouraging for next season, especially. And even this year if a healthy roster can gel halfway-ish through the season.

Reactions: Peat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No chance we deal Rust at the deadline unless we are sellers. Rust performs in the playoffs unlike Jake and Sid.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be completely happy to give Letang a decent pay raise if Malkin is willing to take a pay cut as well. Letang is still an $8 million player today, so if they want to give him a 5 year, $40 million deal, I'm fine with that. Give Malkin 3 years at $7.1 million and Letang 5 years at $8 million and I'm happy with that.

Also you'd have to be on crack to suggest that Rust would come in the $6.5-$7 million range. That may be what he wants, but there's a zero percent chance that any team gives him that kind of money. RNH came in at basically $5 million, Hyman came in at $5.5 million and Hall came in at $6 million. Even the dumbest of teams wouldn't pay Rust that kind of money.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be completely happy to give Letang a decent pay raise if Malkin is willing to take a pay cut as well. Letang is still an $8 million player today, so if they want to give him a 5 year, $40 million deal, I'm fine with that. Give Malkin 3 years at $7.1 million and Letang 5 years at $8 million and I'm happy with that.

Also you'd have to be on crack to suggest that Rust would come in the $6.5-$7 million range. That may be what he wants, but there's a zero percent chance that any team gives him that kind of money. RNH came in at basically $5 million, Hyman came in at $5.5 million and Hall came in at $6 million. Even the dumbest of teams wouldn't pay Rust that kind of money.
I'd agree, but somebody just paid Seth Jones $9.5 million a year for like a decade. So, GM brainworms are unpredictable. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd agree, but somebody just paid Seth Jones $9.5 million a year for like a decade. So, GM brainworms are unpredictable. :laugh:

Idk Jones hasn't been good for a few years now, but I at least understand how someone could give him that deal. He's a 27 year old, 6'4" RHD that got Norris votes as recently as 2020. Like I get why Chicago gave him that deal, they were just wrong about him being the same caliber of player he was a few years ago. They gave him a deal based on name recognition.

Rust getting $7 million is nonsensical because there has been no point at which he has been worth that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Idk Jones hasn't been good for a few years now, but I at least understand how someone could give him that deal. He's a 27 year old, 6'4" RHD that got Norris votes as recently as 2020. Like I get why Chicago gave him that deal, they were just wrong about him being the same caliber of player he was a few years ago. They gave him a deal based on name recognition.

Rust getting $7 million is nonsensical because there has been no point at which he has been worth that.
I think it's pretty neck and neck for Jones at $9.5 million for 8-years and Rust at $7 million for however long. They're both completely unimaginably dogshit deals. :laugh:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

The market is pretty much set for Rust by Blake Colemon. They are extremely similar players. Colemon just signed for 6 years a 4.9.

rust most likely gets 5 for 6yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad