Confirmed with Link: Penguins resign Pascal Dupuis for 4 years/$3.75M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Exactly. We may have outhit the Bruins, but to me that just meant we had the puck less. We were running around trying to prove our manhood while the Bruins were trying to play hockey. When it came time to fight for position if front of Rask, we lost. That was either a poor game plan, lack of effort or heart, or just not enough grit, strength, whatever you want to call it.

We don't have the strength to actually back up our grit at forward. We do OK in the corners and whatnot where good hands, brains and speed can play a part in success. But we have nobody with the raw strength to stand in the goal mouth and take that beating. I have to think a split knee cap really took that ability away from Morrow too.

Our defense did a fine job in this regard. We weren't out-muscled in our own end. But our forwards just couldn't match up against Boston's defense. Put us against about 25 teams in the league and I don't think its an issue because I think the willingness is there, but against the top defensive units guys like Kunitz and Dupuis just can't will themselves to success.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
We don't have the strength to actually back up our grit at forward. We do OK in the corners and whatnot where good hands, brains and speed can play a part in success. But we have nobody with the raw strength to stand in the goal mouth and take that beating. I have to think a split knee cap really took that ability away from Morrow too.

Our defense did a fine job in this regard. We weren't out-muscled in our own end. But our forwards just couldn't match up against Boston's defense. Put us against about 25 teams in the league and I don't think its an issue because I think the willingness is there, but against the top defensive units guys like Kunitz and Dupuis just can't will themselves to success.

The have gotten used to trying to find open spaces around the net instead of CREATING open spaces. Though neither of them have the size to really create space.

Years ago, we put Dupuis, a 3rd line winger, on the 1st line because we had no choice. He made the best of it, and priced himself out of the 3rd line (at least for us). DBs legacy is the KCD line.

We're pretty much stuck with him in that spot :shakehead. I almost hope we tank the 1st 20 games forcing DB to get Bennett into the top-6 (among other changes). I really don't think it makes sense to develop Bennett into a bottom 6 player.

What bothers me is I don't think DB knows how to develop young talent to the best of their abilities.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The have gotten used to trying to find open spaces around the net instead of CREATING open spaces. Though neither of them have the size to really create space.
That's a good way to put it. The problem then is when a team like Boston doesn't leave open spaces around the net.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't see how Bennett doesn't get in the top 6. Injuries alone mean he'll see some time there, and it just makes too much sense. No I don't think even Bylsma will screw this one up. People talk about him 'developing' on that third line. The guy is ready for god's sake. What's he have to do aside from what he's already done in limited time? Score 30 goals???

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't see how Bennett doesn't get in the top 6. Injuries alone mean he'll see some time there, and it just makes too much sense. No I don't think even Bylsma will screw this one up. People talk about him 'developing' on that third line. The guy is ready for god's sake. What's he have to do aside from what he's already done in limited time? Score 30 goals???

Score 30 goals AND play mistake-free defense. Because it seems like as soon as a rookie/youngster makes even one defensive lapse, Bylsma has them as a healthy scratch the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad