Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Philip Samuelsson (1 year | $550k | 2-way)

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
BsNGyYpCEAAy_Q-.jpg

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725945

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
EDIT: Big said it better ^^

Unless I'm mistaken -- someone will correct me -- Samuelsson is no longer exempt from waivers. So I'd guess there's a reasonable chance he's on the opening-night roster as the last defenseman with Maatta on IR.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think he was a lock to make the roster anyway because of his waiver status but that dirt cheap price really helps.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
will be interested to see what they do with him when Maatta gets back, does he prove himself enough that someone else is moved or he himself is moved? or he sticks as the 7th.

penguins2946*

What does the 2-way contract mean? Is it nothing more than he would be getting paid less in the AHL?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
What does the 2-way contract mean? Is it nothing more than he would be getting paid less in the AHL?

Yes, one way contracts are the same if you're in the NHL/AHL. Two-way deals have a lower salary when guys get sent down to the AHL.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Obviously some other defender will be injured by the time Määttä comes back. Samuelsson will likely stay around all year because he makes league minimum. Smart deal from both sides if it workes out that way.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
So unless a d is shipped out the lineup should be

Letang-Martin
Despres/Scuderi-Ehrhoff
Despres/Scuderi-Bortuzzo
Samulesson

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yepp. But it's tight. We might (barely) be able to get by if Maatta starts the year on LTIR, but once he comes back we'll be in a really tough situation if we don't move someone.

Yeah I'm still going under the premise of us shipping out one of Martin or Scuds.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If Martin gets traded before the season starts, then I think Samuelsson has a chance to start on opening night.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I hope Harrington gets a spot, seems like he's been in the AHL for 10 years and has yet to get a chance. Good signing with Samuelsson, though. What it seems to look like to me with all the 1 year deals JR is doing is he's experimenting trying to see who fits with Johnstons system and who does not fit with it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Harrington has played 76 regular season games for the Baby Penguins and has been old enough to drink in this country for all of four months. Let's not be overly dramatic here.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've never had a good feel for Samuelsson and he never seemed to have any one aspect of his game that made me notice him.

He may step up and be a valuable player for the big club this year, or be on his way to AHL journeyman.

Right now I feel like he is in the way of a guy like McNeill who really came on late last season and could be a real dark horse to be a punishing blueliner. I also think Ruopp will take a big step fwd as well.

With Harry, DP, Dumoulin and now Samulesson in the mix, I hope those two don't get lost in the shuffle because they bring the nasty element I don't see Samulesson ever having.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I thought Samuelsson looked out of his depth when he was in the NHL last year, but you gotta appreciate all the comments from staff about the big steps he has been taking these last couple of years, and in any case when he was up it was a load of rookies which didn't exactly help him.

Fine with having him as the 7th to begin with. He has the potential to be Scuds Redux, and of course it took some time for Scuds to be anything resembling good in the NHL.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
All Ulfie Jr does is keep proving people wrong, I don't expect him to suddenly stop doing that at this point. He should be even more motivated after last season and the guy is praised constantly about his steady improvement year by year.

I could see him as someone that learns a lot from Scuderi and ends up pairing with Bortuzzo to form a damn good shutdown unit that is capable of pissing off teams.

2015-16...

Maatta, Letang
Despres, Pouliot
Samuelsson/Harrington, Bortuzzo

That would be unreal, all Pens drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad