Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Matt Cullen (1 year, $1M)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
excited-baby.gif

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
great news but honestly I am expecting to be disappointed by the end of the season. At that cap hit though I can't really complain too much. I think his age and last years long run will catch up to him this year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Great news. I guess it means Vesey is not coming.

Glad to see Cullen back. Nearly identical team. We only lost Lovejoy.

Why?

It does fill a forward position, but Cullen would not be vying for Crosby or Malkin's wing as Vesey would be. And Cullen likely only plays a limited number of regular season games, if the Pens are smart.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
great news but honestly I am expecting to be disappointed by the end of the season. At that cap hit though I can't really complain too much. I think his age and last years long run will catch up to him this year.

Yeah, I doubt he repeats last season but he can be buried if the worst happens (haha, they would never) and I think he'll be good for the kids regardless. What worries me is injuries having him play above the 4th line again, that seemed to take it out of him last season and it won't be any better this time.

Why?

It does fill a forward position, but Cullen would not be vying for Crosby or Malkin's wing as Vesey would be. And Cullen likely only plays a limited number of regular season games, if the Pens are smart.

Have you met this team? Unless he's an abomination he's playing every game he's healthy enough to play.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Honestly I thought the odds of him coming back to Pittsburgh were down to about 10%, so this is a bigger surprise than I was expecting. Very nice to have back at such a minimal cap hit.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Seems like we now have around 1 million in cap space with a 22 man roster. Could fit vesey in but it will be really tight

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Do people really believe that it was the Pens keeping Cullen on a million dollar one year deal waiting until they heard from a crap shoot prospect in Vesey?

Or that Cullen was weighing if he wanted to go through another year?

I can not imagine if Cullen was agreeable that this deal has not been on the table for months now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad