Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Justin Schultz to a 1-year deal ($1.4MM AAV)

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
Really happy with this.

Looks great on the PP, there were times I wanted him in Kessel's spot. Couldn't be happier with this.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That price is simply too good to pass up. Sucks for Pouliot, but maybe we can slip him through the expansion draft now.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wow, very nice.

I assumed that if he was going to sign elsewhere it would have happened on July 1, maybe the 2nd...but once we got past the 4th with him unsigned it was just a matter of term with us. Regardless I didn't expect to get him for under $2 million, even on a show-me deal, given how barren the defensive market is, especially for righties that can move the puck.

Zero risk here, I love it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Half of what he was making and a 1 year deal? That's zero risk, IMO. That sures up some serious depth on the backend.

Boy.. I really like this deal. A 1 year deal was something I really wanted to see. I didn't think he would do it, though.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Half of what he was making and a 1 year deal? That's zero risk, IMO. That sures up some serious depth on the backend.

Boy.. I really like this deal. A 1 year deal was something I really wanted to see. I didn't think he would do it, though.

We have INSANE depth on the blueline. :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This could be a calculated gamble by Schultz, too. Play well w/ the Pens this year and go get yourself a Nisky type contract if all goes perfect. At the very least, you are in the same spot.

I'm really surprised a team like Detroit wouldn't try to gamble on Schultz.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
great! now we don't have to protect him in the expan. draft....a team won't pick a guy that could sing with anyone.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We have INSANE depth on the blueline. :laugh:

I know people around HF want to crap all over our defense, but IMO we really do have great depth for what the Pens want to do on the ice.

They aren't the prettiest bunch, but they proved they were the right bunch last year in the playoffs when nobody could forecheck us because we moved the puck quicker. Tampa/SJ had minimal effective forechecks at times, but couldn't sustain it as they ended up chasing most of the game.

On paper... average. For what the Pens want to do, IMO really good depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad