Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Jayson Megna (1 year | $874,125 | 2-way)

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
GoBots FTW!!!
robots_gobots.jpg

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Group VI unrestricted free agency is designed to give a better chance to players stuck on a deep roster. They must be 25+, have at least 3 pro seasons but fewer than 80 NHL games played. Megna will be 25 with 3 pro seasons next summer, and currently has 38 games. If he spends half the season in Pittsburgh he won't qualify for group VI anymore and be restricted again. On the other hand he will be waiver-eligible once he hits 22 games this year. Meaning we'd have to waive him first before we could send him down to WBS mid-season. So either he really makes the team, and we keep him as RFA. Or he doesn't make the jump and is likely lost on either waivers or next summer in free agency. Works for me.
Thank you, very clear explanation!
I really like him, so more he play, more the possibility to be an RFA next season, so more possibility to stay here more. A lot of more's.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
GoBots FTW!!!
robots_gobots.jpg

Always a sad day when Christmas or birthdays would roll around, my extended family knew I liked cars that turned into robots or something, and I tore off the wrapping paper only to find Gobots instead of Transformers.

Even as a 6 year old kid, you knew they were lame.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
good. i hope he gets a spot in the lineup. he has skill and speed and i think his style meshes well with both crosby and malkin, if he can put it together he should at least be a third liner

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Like the signing, will probably be our 13th forward. Liked how he crashed the net against Columbus, would have liked seeing more of that but he was Bylsma'd for looking good.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Like the signing, will probably be our 13th forward. Liked how he crashed the net against Columbus, would have liked seeing more of that but he was Bylsma'd for looking good.

I'd say there's pretty much no chance he's the 13th forward. He will either be getting consistent minutes with the big Pens or the Baby Pens. They aren't going to have him sit in the press box.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it's unusual that he opted for the QO instead of the league minimum. I assume JR & Botterill gave him the choice.

A WBS mainstay.

I think he'll spend most of the year in the NHL.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I feel like if Megna can iron out a few things he can be a good bottom 6 forward that can play a shift or two in the top 6 in a pinch due to his wheels. He already has the speed & the energy to make an impact in games, he just needs to refine various aspects of his game. If he can improve his backchecking & defensive play in general, there's no reason to keep him off the 4th line (at worst) this season.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He's one of our only players from last year's team that goes to the net with any regularity. That bodes well for him in Johnston's system at least.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Then he's gone to WBS IMO.

He's better off there than in the press box. Megna is not a finished product yet. He started hockey at a late age and there are a number of things in his game that he can still improve on and refine. There's no excuse to have him sitting when he absolutely should be playing.

The way I see it, with the forwards that we have right now it's between Megna and Sill for the last spot on the fourth line with Comeau and Goc. However, if nothing else changes, Sill gets the spot by default and Megna starts in WBS simply because of cap space.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd say there's pretty much no chance he's the 13th forward. He will either be getting consistent minutes with the big Pens or the Baby Pens. They aren't going to have him sit in the press box.

Yup it would be a waste for him and the team's precious cap space.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Beau Bennett ‏@BeauBennett19
@penguins @Jayson_Megna congrats peanut! number 59 in your brochures and number 59 in your hearts

Jayson Megna ‏@Jayson_Megna
@BeauBennett19 that's probably the 5th meanest thing you've ever said to me.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
@penguins @Jayson_Megna congrats peanut! number 59 in your brochures and number 59 in your hearts

:laugh: I'm a fan of these 2.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really like Megna, he's fast, has decent size, goes to the net and he's not comically stonehanded. How late he came to hockey intrigues me, if only he could do something about his face. I also just enjoy watching him skate.

:laugh: Bennett's twitter continues to be great and now Megna is getting in on it.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Personally, I loved what I saw from him.

Maybe not the highest hockey IQ, but he's fast and irritating and likes going to the net. Perfect for a bottom six guy.

If there's one thing I'm excited for with a new coach, it's the possibility of him trying a bunch of different things instead of the usual.

God I'm so happy the last regime is gone. A couple of years too late, but still. At some point towards the end of last season and the Rangers series, I wanted to do this to both Ray and Dan.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I really like Megna, he's fast, has decent size, goes to the net and he's not comically stonehanded. How late he came to hockey intrigues me, if only he could do something about his face. I also just enjoy watching him skate.

I wonder if Bennett calls him 'peanut' because of his tiny face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad