Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Jayson Megna (1 year | $874,125 | 2-way)

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
BsM4crlCYAE-ps2.jpg

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725936

Pretty sure he's exempt from waivers for one more season. So there's some flexibility there if needed.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Good to have him in the fold. He 'll still be an RFA next summer and has 21 NHL games remaining on his waiver exemption. Weird number, though. It's less than his QO so he must be getting a fat raise from the 70k he earned in the minors last season.

Edit: Scratch that, he will be a group VI UFA next summer unless he plays at least 42 games for Pittsburgh this season.

Last edited:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Good to have him in the fold. He 'll still be an RFA next summer and has 21 NHL games remaining on his waiver exemption. Weird number, though. It's less than his QO so he must be getting a fat raise from the 70k he earned in the minors last season.

Edit: Scratch that, he will be a group VI UFA next summer unless he plays at least 42 games for Pittsburgh this season.
So if he plays more than 42 games he will be an RFA? Weird.
Anyway, I was hoping for a 2-years deal.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Was thinking he'd end up signing a deal which is closer to the league min (as it would make it easier for him to crack the NHL roster) but with a big AHL raise.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
So if he plays more than 42 games he will be an RFA? Weird.

Group VI unrestricted free agency is designed to give a better chance to players stuck on a deep roster. They must be 25+, have at least 3 pro seasons but fewer than 80 NHL games played. Megna will be 25 with 3 pro seasons next summer, and currently has 38 games. If he spends half the season in Pittsburgh he won't qualify for group VI anymore and be restricted again. On the other hand he will be waiver-eligible once he hits 22 games this year. Meaning we'd have to waive him first before we could send him down to WBS mid-season. So either he really makes the team, and we keep him as RFA. Or he doesn't make the jump and is likely lost on either waivers or next summer in free agency. Works for me.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Group VI unrestricted free agency is designed to give a better chance to players stuck on a deep roster. They must be 25+, have at least 3 pro seasons but fewer than 80 NHL games played. Megna will be 25 with 3 pro seasons next summer, and currently has 38 games. If he spends half the season in Pittsburgh he won't qualify for group VI anymore and be restricted again. On the other hand he will be waiver-eligible once he hits 22 games this year. Meaning we'd have to waive him first before we can send him down to WBS mid-season. So either he really makes the team, and we keep him as RFA. Or he doesn't make the jump and is likely lost on either waivers or next summer in free agency. Works for me.

is that a 22 game stretch or 22 games total?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Group VI unrestricted free agency is designed to give a better chance to players stuck on a deep roster. They must be 25+, have at least 3 pro seasons but fewer than 80 NHL games played. Megna will be 25 with 3 pro seasons next summer, and currently has 38 games. If he spends half the season in Pittsburgh he won't qualify for group VI anymore and be restricted again. On the other hand he will be waiver-eligible once he hits 22 games this year. Meaning we'd have to waive him first before we could send him down to WBS mid-season. So either he really makes the team, and we keep him as RFA. Or he doesn't make the jump and is likely lost on either waivers or next summer in free agency. Works for me.

Couldn't they bring him up half way through the season and then keep him up their until the summer?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It's fun watching him skate. He's kind of electrifying in that regard. I'm not sure he'll ever put it all together enough to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level but hopefully he can. I think we're going to need him in that role sooner than later unless the Pens deal for another top 6 forward before the season.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
is that a 22 game stretch or 22 games total?

i believe its a total of 22 games while on the roster. Not GP, either. Just on the roster for a total of 22

22 total games. But I believe it is games actually played, not just spent on the roster. Anyway waiver eligiblity is one of the most arcane things in the CBA. I'm going by what capgeek.com says in their waiver calculator but who knows the exact interpretation of that. ;)

Couldn't they bring him up half way through the season and then keep him up their until the summer?

I guess so, should work on paper at least.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think he'll end up playing alot with the big club.
Very coachable kid who's willing to go to the net.
Great speed. PK'ing option.
Firmly believe the new coaching staff will love him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
i believe its a total of 22 games while on the roster. Not GP, either. Just on the roster for a total of 22

22 total games. But I believe it is games actually played, not just spent on the roster. Anyway waiver eligiblity is one of the most arcane things in the CBA. I'm going by what capgeek.com says in their waiver calculator but who knows the exact interpretation of that. ;)

I guess so, should work on paper at least.

Thanks guys.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
It will be interesting what the new coaching staff will do with him. He could be a option, if he is used the right way.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Was thinking he'd end up signing a deal which is closer to the league min (as it would make it easier for him to crack the NHL roster) but with a big AHL raise.

Could be wrong, but it looks to me like he may have just signed his qualifier.

As for why his qualifier's so high, remember, he was a UFA, not a draft pick. Shero was bidding against other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad