Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Bobby Farnham (1 year | $550k | 2 way)

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 7m
The #Pens have re-signed forward @bobbyfarnham24
to a one-year, two-way contract.
Release → http://pens.pe/1sYzMeo

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726230&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

BsmM_CzCQAAaJU5.jpg

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Sounds like he's a real pest at the AHL level. Hopefully we get to see what he can do at the NHL level one day.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
if my math is correct, we will be at 50 contracts assuming our RFAs (Sutter, Spaling, Despres) are signed. so, I guess we're done with signings unless a trade happens.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He'll go all out and fly all over the place like Zolnierczyk did, but he'll also agitate in under the radar, sneaky ways like Ruutu would.

I posted it in the WBS thread a few months back, but this interview sums up his game fairly well:

“You don’t even have to say things a lot of times,†he explained. “You just bump into them. They know it’s on purpose but it looks like it was by accident. If you get good at it and you’re consistent with it every game, it annoys them that you're still doing it. There’s nothing that they can do to stop you from doing it. That really gets under their skin.â€

Michael Sdao, a defenseman for the Binghamton Senators, has twice received game misconducts for going after Farnham. The first time, Sdao had left the bench; the second time was a cross-check that also drew a 5-minute major. Senators coach Luke Richardson said Farnham “clearly dives, like he always does. He’s good at it.â€

For Farnham, who denied diving, it was mission accomplished.

“Both times he got ejected from the game, which is kind of what I was looking for,†Farnham said. “He’s a heavyweight in the league, probably not a guy I would technically fight. I knew he wanted to fight, and you can kind of suck him in to doing something that will put him in the penalty box.

“It’s just how I play,†he continued. “I go and try to be as physical as possible. If you hit people hard enough, guys are going to come after you.â€

http://thehockeywriters.com/bobby-farnham-the-life-of-an-energy-guy/

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
if my math is correct, we will be at 50 contracts assuming our RFAs (Sutter, Spaling, Despres) are signed. so, I guess we're done with signings unless a trade happens.

I'm only getting 48, and that's counting Kapanen:
Craig Adams
Beau Bennett
Blake Comeau
Sidney Crosby
Steve Downie
Pascal Dupuis
Marcel Goc
Patric Hornqvist
Chris Kunitz
Evgeni Malkin
Jayson Megna
Nick Spaling
Brandon Sutter
Josh Archibald
Jean-Sebastian Dea
Nick Drazenovic
Andrew Ebbett
Bobby Farnham
Tom Kuehnhackl
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond
Matia Marcantuoni
Adam Payerl
Bryan Rust
Zach Sill
Dominik Uher
Scott Wilson
Anton Zlobin
Kasperi Kapanen
Robert Bortuzzo
Christian Ehrhoff
Kristopher Letang
Olli Maatta
Paul Martin
Rob Scuderi
Taylor Chorney
Nicholas D'Agostino
Brian Dumoulin
Scott Harrington
Reid McNeil
Derrick Pouliot
Harrison Ruopp
Philip Samuelsson
Simon Despres
Marc-Andre Fleury
Thomas Greiss
Jeff Zatkoff
Eric Hartzell
Matthew Murray

Am I missing someone?

Edit: Ah, I think I see the issue. You're counting Sundqvist and Jarry as well, aren't you? Jarry's going back to Juniors, since there's no way he's cracking the NHL roster this season, so his contract won't count against the limit. If Sundqvist comes over to the AHL or grabs an NHL spot, he'll count, but if he goes back to Sweden, he won't count against the contract limit. I'm expecting him to return to Sweden for another season, so I didn't count him.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sundqvist and Jarry do not slide.

Jarry will, he's only a year out from signing the contract at 18. Contracts signed as teenagers slide until the 20 year old season.

EDIT: OK, Jarry is older than I thought. My mistake. Continue.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Capgeek's FAQ on contract sliding would seem to indicate that Jarry's contract ought to slide for another year:
If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games — regular season or playoffs — the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.
Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.
http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-an-entry-level-contract-slide

Jarry's birthday is April 29, 1995, and he signed his contract when he was 18, so his contract should be able to slide for a second year this year.

Sundqvist, however, won't slide by this measure. So the Pens should have either 48 or 49 contract spots used this season, depending on whether Kapanen makes the team or not.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Capgeek's FAQ on contract sliding would seem to indicate that Jarry's contract ought to slide for another year:

Jarry's birthday is April 29, 1995, and he signed his contract when he was 18, so his contract should be able to slide for a second year this year.

Sundqvist, however, won't slide by this measure. So the Pens should have either 48 or 49 contract spots used this season, depending on whether Kapanen makes the team or not.

It says it will slide one year. I'm not sure if that same measurement is applied in subsequent years, but by taking one year literally, it wouldn't, correct?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I like how Rorabaugh says Farnham provides everything the team needs on the 4th line, but he isn't a viable option because he's a 5 minute major waiting to happen.

Maybe a major on the other team, I can't recall him taking one himself outside of fighting.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It says it will slide one year. I'm not sure if that same measurement is applied in subsequent years, but by taking one year literally, it wouldn't, correct?

The last sentence says it will slide two years: "Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons."

Jarry signed his contract when he was 18.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The last sentence says it will slide two years: "Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons."

Jarry signed his contract when he was 18.

:laugh: Oh man. I need to learn to read the whole thing before posting. Sorry about that.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site

No, re-read your link. A players age is determined by his age on September 15 of that year in which he signed his contract. So just because Jarry signed a couple of weeks before his 19th birthday, that is still considered his age 19 year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad