Recalled/Assigned: Penguins re-assign Harry Zolnierczyk and Brian Dumoulin to WBS

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Maatta has been very shaky for the last few games and it's not beyond the pale to give him a game off to get his bearings back. He's not used to the grind of the NHL season yet. The fact that he played in 41 straight games is pretty amazing in itself. It's conceptually shameful that Engelland is playing while Maatta sits, but the reasoning for a scratch seems to be sound and at least it means Despres is going to play.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Fine, then why has Letang never been scratched? I mean, we'll go by your standards.

The same standard should be had for everyone, but that's besides the point.

Maatta has struggled considerably in recent games. Asides from general unforced errors and turnovers, he's been flat out walked twice in the past three games.

He's 19 years old, playing in his first year of professional hockey, and just went through a round of games where he played about 25 minutes. He's clearly physically and mentally exhausted.

Sitting him is the right decision.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I see where your coming from but I'm still inclined to disagree on the decision, respectfully.

hey man, I'd rather see Engelland or Orpik (hahhaah) or even Niskanen, who has also been shaky the past week, sat. But I totally see the logic in sitting in Maatta. And, seeing as he's a 19 year old who might be representing his country in the Olympics and his NHL team in the playoffs, it's a good idea to get him some rest every once in a while this year.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Scratch arguably our most consistent D-man?

This board loves Maatta, and rightly so, he's been awesome as a rookie. I also distinctly remember that early in the season this board was concerned that he may start wearing out right about this point in the season. He hasn't been playing well, but we know he can. I think rotating him in and out for the next handful of games would really do him well. Personally, I don't see why teams don't intentionally rotate D players on a more regular basis, especially this team.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
By the way, I have no problem with Maatta sitting for a game or two. TOPS. Definitely hasn't been playing his best hockey the past few games.

I don't understand why other people on the team can't get rotated though. If you're a vet, you are safe. If you're a rookie, at any given time you can be sat. But honestly, why has Adams not sat ALL YEAR?? (I know, DB pic) He doesn't need to play every single game. He's 36, sit him and keep him fresh. (it won't do any good, he's finished as a player, but come on atleast humor me) Would it not make sense?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
By the way, I have no problem with Maatta sitting for a game or two. TOPS. Definitely hasn't been playing his best hockey the past few games.

I don't understand why other people on the team can't get rotated though. If you're a vet, you are safe. If you're a rookie, at any given time you can be sat. But honestly, why has Adams not sat ALL YEAR?? (I know, DB pic) He doesn't need to play every single game. He's 36, sit him and keep him fresh. (it won't do any good, he's finished as a player, but come on atleast humor me) Would it not make sense?

I wish he went to Vancouver. :(

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Adams would benefit from being a 13th forward, it would let him attempt to have something in the tank. Bylsma is just an idiot that likes to kill things with his love, Adams is an old 4th liner that gets played like a 3rd liner and it draws attention to the problem. It's got to be hard on the old dog to handle that workload.

The part that bothers me is that I could handle of Bylsma had one player that he was like this with, one 4th line player, but he has at minimum 4 and keeps trying to make one into a 1st line winger. I think at this point that I could tolerate him having two as long as they stay the **** in the bottom 6. Adams as the 13th forward and Engelland on the 4th line, it's reasonable. He can even have Dupuis on the 3rd line, but he's incapable of doing that.

I'm fine with Maatta sitting a few games, think he should, but that's only as long as it doesn't turn into a problem with Bylsma later. Sitting while Despres plays.

Blitzburgh87*

I'm starting to agree with you guys now. Whatever is best for the kid I guess. But I also agree with the poster above me. I hope it doesn't create a problem because we know how Bylsma just loves to sit our better players.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm starting to agree with you guys now. Whatever is best for the kid I guess. But I also agree with the poster above me. I hope it doesn't create a problem because we know how Bylsma just loves to sit our better players.

Very few people disagree with your biggest complaint: there is a double-standard when it comes to how players such as Maatta are treated compared to someone like Orpik or Niskanen, etc...

And I would love to see everyone held to the same standard. That said, Maatta isn't going down this year, even if he were playing great, I'd argue that he needs a break every now and then as he adjusts to the grind of a 100-game NHL season.

Blitzburgh87*

Very few people disagree with your biggest complaint: there is a double-standard when it comes to how players such as Maatta are treated compared to someone like Orpik or Niskanen, etc...

And I would love to see everyone held to the same standard. That said, Maatta isn't going down this year, even if he were playing great, I'd argue that he needs a break every now and then as he adjusts to the grind of a 100-game NHL season.
Which is fair. I guess some of his get so caught up in how good he is that we forget that the kid is only nieteen. Also, I'm a bit traumatized by Byslma's past decisions so you can't blame me there. :laugh:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What good is it doing Despres to sit in the press box? We are really doing this promising young talent a disservice just because our GM likes to collect D-men.

Dude, relax. It's been what, one game?, since Despres has been out of the line-up? Having him up here for a couple of weeks, practicing with NHL hockey players and coaches, doing drills against guys like Crosby, Geno and others, is NOT going to hurt his development. Watching a few games from the pressbox is actually beneficial. It's only when a guy isn't playing for 3-4 weeks+ that it becomes a real problem. We are very, very far from that point.

I actually think this part of the "weaning" process can be very beneficial for guys like Despres who is a bubble player for us know, but projects to be a full-time NHLer by next year. Having him up and down a few times is better than having him down all season. And now it's clear: if there's a last minute injury or illness, Despres is the first guy they're going to turn to to play for the team. And as soon as Letang or Martin comes back, he'll be down for sure. There's no problem here. This should only be viewed as a positive, and a positive step in the development and confidence of Despres as a player.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Dude, relax. It's been what, one game?, since Despres has been out of the line-up? Having him up here for a couple of weeks, practicing with NHL hockey players and coaches, doing drills against guys like Crosby, Geno and others, is NOT going to hurt his development. Watching a few games from the pressbox is actually beneficial. It's only when a guy isn't playing for 3-4 weeks+ that it becomes a real problem. We are very, very far from that point.

I actually think this part of the "weaning" process can be very beneficial for guys like Despres who is a bubble player for us know, but projects to be a full-time NHLer by next year. Having him up and down a few times is better than having him down all season. And now it's clear: if there's a last minute injury or illness, Despres is the first guy they're going to turn to to play for the team. And as soon as Letang or Martin comes back, he'll be down for sure. There's no problem here. This should only be viewed as a positive, and a positive step in the development and confidence of Despres as a player.

I feel like Despres is going to be waiver eligible soon, hopefully I'm wrong, but if so, push will come to shove when guys start getting healthy... Trade pending???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad