Pre-Game Talk: Penguins @ Rangers, 3/31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Well I don't see the Rangers winning the Cup this year anyway so I'd like for all the rooks to get as much playoff experience as they can.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This is silly and you know it. Vesey, Buchnevich, and Skjei should all be playing game 1 of the playoffs. You play your best lineup, plain and simple. Vesey and Buch are 2 of our 12 best forwards. Skjei has basically been our best defensemen for the past month.

Playing guys like Pirri or Puempel, who don't provide any benefit over Vesey or Buchnevich, would be a terrible coaching decision. Don't get me started with Tanner Glass.

didnt our coach play Glass over Hayes last playoffs?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Pirri has 4 goals in his last 50 games. This magical shot of his has disappeared. Even on the PP he's more focused on getting it on net but takes a lot of zip off. He's been ineffective on the offensive end. He's been better defensively than I thought though

im too lazy to look..but how many does Vesey have in his last 50?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is silly and you know it. Vesey, Buchnevich, and Skjei should all be playing game 1 of the playoffs. You play your best lineup, plain and simple. Vesey and Buch are 2 of our 12 best forwards. Skjei has basically been our best defensemen for the past month.

Playing guys like Pirri or Puempel, who don't provide any benefit over Vesey or Buchnevich, would be a terrible coaching decision. Don't get me started with Tanner Glass.

I agree with you. I think he should be in the lineup, but do you think AV could definitely say that about the other two rookies? Who's next man out on defense? Shouldn't be Skjei, but would anyone be shocked if it was? AV likes his experience, and Skjei has the least of it on defense. Same thing with Buchnevich. He shouldn't be sitting for Glass or Puempel, but would anyone be shocked if he was?

Thats why I think its kind of a surprise that he's saying this about Vesey. If I'm picking the lineup, I know right now that all three are in it for game 1, but I don't think AV would say that for all three, probably only Vesey, which is what I find a little strange. Or maybe not strange, I expect this of AV, as we all know he likes Vesey more than most people, but its definitely telling of his opinion. He usually doesn't say many important things in his presser, usually just fluff that we can all read through knowing his actions as coach the last four seasons, but I thought this was telling.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
yes it would be shocking if Skjei didnt play in the playoffs even if he is a dumpster fire from now until game 1.
av played him last year in the playoffs and has pretty much played him every game this year.
Yes Buch and Vesey discussion is one thing and although Buch should be in the lineup come playoff time i wouldnt be shocked if AV didnt play him every game. on the other hand, i dont understand why people keep bringing up Skjei's name in the conversation?!
He is on a different level in terms of importance to this team right now and AV realizes that. If he doesnt and scratches SKjei for game 1 of the playoffs i will be on the fire AV bandwagon as well. I just dont see any proof that he doesnt have full confidence and belief in Brady.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
yes it would be shocking if Skjei didnt play in the playoffs even if he is a dumpster fire from now until game 1.
av played him last year in the playoffs and has pretty much played him every game this year.
Yes Buch and Vesey discussion is one thing and although Buch should be in the lineup come playoff time i wouldnt be shocked if AV didnt play him every game. on the other hand, i dont understand why people keep bringing up Skjei's name in the conversation?!
He is on a different level in terms of importance to this team right now and AV realizes that. If he doesnt and scratches SKjei for game 1 of the playoffs i will be on the fire AV bandwagon as well. I just dont see any proof that he doesnt have full confidence and belief in Brady.

What indication is there that Skjei is? He's AV's 6D, based on minutes per game.

You think of all the defenseman in the lineup that Skjei has one of the safest spots? I don't. He shouldn't have his spot in jeopardy. I think most assume that Klein is the odd man out in the lineup, but if he isn't, who is it? There just aren't many candidates, and I think with this coach, he might be first to come out because of his lack of experience in comparison to other players.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What indication is there that Skjei is? He's AV's 6D, based on minutes per game.

You think of all the defenseman in the lineup that Skjei has one of the safest spots? I don't. He shouldn't have his spot in jeopardy. I think most assume that Klein is the odd man out in the lineup, but if he isn't, who is it? There just aren't many candidates, and I think with this coach, he might be first to come out because of his lack of experience in comparison to other players.

Just looking at his TOI totals and they have been going up and that's without any worthy amount of pk or pp time so not sure how big a difference say his ice time is compared to most 5/6 dmen. He's getting close to 20 min per game. If he got considerable pk or even pp time that would be close to 22-23 min per game

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Vesey scratch!?!?

giphy.gif

I bet the box that the scratches sit in is probably so fun these days. Can you just imagine how comfortable Pirri and Clendening must be there, knowing they probably won't play again all year, and the rest of those guys (sans Kampfer) are rotating in and out and probably fuming the entire time.

I imagine 73 and 4 cracking jokes all night and lol'ing at Girardi while 26 is just gonna be sulking the whole game.

That's funny in itself (good for you, haha seriously) but if Pirri could play a lick of defense and "if" he could hit the net once in a while......Maybe he would be playing.
And.....Clendening only wishes he could have the career Dan the man has had. So, they shouldn't be laughing.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
[/I][/B]

That's funny in itself (good for you, haha seriously) but if Portion could play a lick of defense and "if" he could hit the net once in a while......Maybe he would be playing.
And.....Clendening only wishes he could have the career Dan the man has had. So, they shouldn't be laughing.
The nickname Portion is never gonna stick

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The Penguins are jostling with the Jackets for home-ice advantage so expect them to have more energy tomorrow.

Funny u should mention them......I went ahead to their board and you can't imagine what some are saying! They are really ridiculing their team despite their multiple injuries. (Malkin, Letang amongst others)

They're actually discussing how they may "hopefully" lose both games vs Rangers and slide down to the 1st WC spot! Imagine that! There is intelligence in Pittsburgh after all......Just kidding.

Anyway, they don't feel they have a shot overtaking the Jackets for home ice and just want to get healthy, but doubt they will. No flipping on a switch, just like we feel here.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Well I don't see the Rangers winning the Cup this year anyway so I'd like for all the rooks to get as much playoff experience as they can.

Let's hope it's more than 4 games. :sarcasm:. Have a feeling they might make substantial donations to the cause. :yo:

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
im too lazy to look..but how many does Vesey have in his last 50?

I think it's 7. I'm in my phone so game 50 he scored. So could be 6 if I counted wrong. Vesey gets better minutes and teammates though. So they both haven't been good lately.

Puempel with 6 in 37

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I hope they are handling the Jimbo's scratching correctly. Explaining the right things, keeping the rookie season process in mind etc.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I'm not a Vesey hater by any means, but he could use a scratch.

His last ~50 games have been pretty terrible. Like I said before the Minnesota game, when's on the ice the team gives up goals. When he's on the ice the team does not score.

Vesey had a hot start but he has been seeing some serious growing pains since then.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

^This

That's why I'm still happy with the team because it's a transition year, and it's a good thing to get the noobs some seasoning even if the team isn't aiming for the distance this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad