Friedman: Penguins ramping up search for 3C; Riley Sheahan a possibility?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Atleast we know he will be useful for the very last game of the season, not the rest of it. :sarcasm:

He'll be warming up for the playoffs :laugh:.

Could make sense though. Not an ideal candidate but he should be cheap and could do a decent enough job at least until the trade deadline.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Come on JR, Riley Sheahan for a 2018 3rd round pick, Give us a little more to give to AA.

:laugh:

And AA may be KHL bound if they can't sign him soon. Talk about having leverage on JR's part. Man oh man.

Regarding Sheahan himself, I would be willing to take the chance on him. Best case, 3C, worst case 4C for us and we continue the search. JR said throughout the summer "There are guys we could trade for right now and others that we want but are not necessarily available and we may wait for them". With that, I believe Sheahan is in the "guys we could get right now" group. Serviceable option but I believe there are better fish out there.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Sheahan could be a very good addition. He was better than his numbers showed and Detroit could really use the space. Low risk high reward, and he'd likely be cheap to acquire.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Come on JR, Riley Sheahan for a 2018 3rd round pick, Give us a little more to give to AA.

I'd rather give up more and obtain AA, knowing the risk that AA may struggle at C with the Pens

I just don't understand why Holland doesn't get AA is a great talent and he should be moving OTHER players at a loss to get this dude signed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
:laugh:

And AA may be KHL bound if they can't sign him soon. Talk about having leverage on JR's part. Man oh man.

Regarding Sheahan himself, I would be willing to take the chance on him. Best case, 3C, worst case 4C for us and we continue the search. JR said throughout the summer "There are guys we could trade for right now and others that we want but are not necessarily available and we may wait for them". With that, I believe Sheahan is in the "guys we could get right now" group. Serviceable option but I believe there are better fish out there.

AA isn't KHL bound, His agent is just using the KHL as leverage because AA doesn't have it. If AA was seriously thinking of the KHL it would've happened by now. I bet AA signs within the next couple days with Detroit with training camp coming up Friday. If AA did go to the KHL it would be more or less to play in the Olmpics then to play in the KHL.

As far as Sheahan is concerned, I agree that there's much better #3Cs to go after then him. But how many of those players will be cheaper money wise and cost the Pens cheaper in terms of assets that's the question?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd rather give up more and obtain AA, knowing the risk that AA may struggle at C with the Pens

I just don't understand why Holland doesn't get AA is a great talent and he should be moving OTHER players at a loss to get this dude signed.

Because he isn't some magical great talent that you lose other players to keep?

He's a good young player who you sign at a contract that makes sense with his comparables. You don't trade away guys to clear the deck for signing Andreas Athanasiou. You sign him and make moves to get what you need.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Because he isn't some magical great talent that you lose other players to keep?

He's a good young player who you sign at a contract that makes sense with his comparables. You don't trade away guys to clear the deck for signing Andreas Athanasiou. You sign him and make moves to get what you need.

I should have clarified better on moving other players: Det has about 4 terrible contracts right now that are preventing them from signing AA.

Jettisoning just ONE of those contracts/players at a loss is a wise move, but Holland loves his Dan Cleary's and others of his old guard ilk.

Sheahan is a good 4th liner, but I don't want him as my 3C on a contending team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I should have clarified better on moving other players: Det has about 4 terrible contracts right now that are preventing them from signing AA.

Jettisoning just ONE of those contracts/players at a loss is a wise move, but Holland loves his Dan Cleary's and others of his old guard ilk.

Sheahan is a good 4th liner, but I don't want him as my 3C on a contending team.

None of them are preventing them from signing AA. AA wanting more than his comparable RFAs is preventing them from signing him. If he would sign the 1.9M offer that they gave him, they don't have to trade anyone. They don't have to take a loss. It is tight, but it isn't like Chicago jettisoning Dustin Byfuglien back in the day. They don't need to make a move. It would probably be a good idea to do so, but it is not a necessity.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Sheahan were to come in here and play with Hagelin and Kessel/Hornqvist, would you say that he'd basically be a watered down version of Bonino that gets like 15 goals and 30 points? That was to Wings fans. He seems similar to Bonino but worse offensively. If they can get him back to his 2014-2015 form, where he had his best ES points/60 season, I actually think he'd come pretty close to replacing what Bonino did in 2016-2017.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
There's a bunch of players on PTOs right now that I'd rather have as my teams #3C than Shaehan. There's probably a few UFA defencemen I'd rather have as my teams #3C.

Seriously, just sign Dan Winnik or Brandon Pirri. John Mitchell?

How about bringing back Iginla? He liked it in Pittsburgh. Then ask Guentzel to play C on the 3rd line. Whatever. Is anyone selling a cardboard cut-out of Milan Michalek on e-Bay? I bet that would be about as productive as Sheahan, and it wouldn't need to be paid over 2 million dollars.

There's better options, is what I'm saying.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
There's a bunch of players on PTOs right now that I'd rather have as my teams #3C than Shaehan. There's probably a few UFA defencemen I'd rather have as my teams #3C.

Seriously, just sign Dan Winnik or Brandon Pirri. John Mitchell?

How about bringing back Iginla? He liked it in Pittsburgh. Then ask Guentzel to play C on the 3rd line. Whatever. Is anyone selling a cardboard cut-out of Milan Michalek on e-Bay? I bet that would be about as productive as Sheahan, and it wouldn't need to be paid over 2 million dollars.

There's better options, is what I'm saying.

We've done the Winnik thing before, he's a good 12th forward but he's not a centre. What's Pirri done to show he's better than Sheahan? (plus he's not a 3rd line centre). Mitchell's coming off an even worse season than Sheahan. Iginla's done as a top 9 player on a contender (sucks that he wasn't used properly during his time in Pittsburgh).

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
We've done the Winnik thing before, he's a good 12th forward but he's not a centre. What's Pirri done to show he's better than Sheahan? (plus he's not a 3rd line centre). Mitchell's coming off an even worse season than Sheahan. Iginla's done as a top 9 player on a contender (sucks that he wasn't used properly during his time in Pittsburgh).

Well, ya. I think it was pretty obvious that I wrote that tongue in cheek. The list I threw out included an inanimate object. The point is there are guys that cost nothing to acquire, would be paid less, and might do a comparable job.

Even if Sheahan is better than Pirri, for example, there must be an option that is better than both. Sheahan would be a terrible pickup for PIT.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Well, ya. I think it was pretty obvious that I wrote that tongue in cheek. The list I threw out included an inanimate object. The point is there are guys that cost nothing to acquire, would be paid less, and might do a comparable job.

Even if Sheahan is better than Pirri, for example, there must be an option that is better than both. Sheahan would be a terrible pickup for PIT.

None of those would do a comparable job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad