• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Honest question. Did we draft Poulin in the first round to be projected as a 3rd liner?

No. Teams don't draft a forward 21st overall if they think he's going to be a 3rd line guy, unless they see him as a super high end Selke-type 3rd line guy (this was kind of the hope/projection for Phillip Danault when he was drafted, as an example).

The Pens were high on Poulin. They may have been wrong or they may have been right, and it will likely take another 2, 3 maybe even 4 or 5 years to find out. But there's no question they saw a guy who they thought was a top 6 F.

If you're sitting with the # 21 pick and your scouting staff don't feel there are any top 6 F left on the board, then you should trade back and try to get a later 1st + 2nd or 2 picks in the second round.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No. Teams don't draft a forward 21st overall if they think he's going to be a 3rd line guy, unless they see him as a super high end Selke-type 3rd line guy (this was kind of the hope/projection for Phillip Danault when he was drafted, as an example).

The Pens were high on Poulin. They may have been wrong or they may have been right, and it will likely take another 2, 3 maybe even 4 or 5 years to find out. But there's no question they saw a guy who they thought was a top 6 F.

If you're sitting with the # 21 pick and your scouting staff don't feel there are any top 6 F left on the board, then you should trade back and try to get a later 1st + 2nd or 2 picks in the second round.

I don’t think at that point teams are looking at where they lock in on the roster. They are looking at if they are NHL players. Same thing with Pickering.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don’t think at that point teams are looking at where they lock in on the roster. They are looking at if they are NHL players. Same thing with Pickering.

I'm really not sure what you're saying....

OF COURSE when scouts are putting together their books on these players and start to rank them into tiers on their draft lists, they are projecting where they think these players will play in the lineup. It doesn't always mean they're going to be right, but there's no question they're making those kind of projections when they're doing those draft rankings.

With Pickering, we actually know that BUF tried to trade pick #28 and #39 for #21, because they released their Embedded "inside the draft" video where GM KA was trying to trade up with every team from #17 and the early 20's to move up to that spot. If we thought Pickering was going to be a top 4 Dman, or we were looking at a F that we thought was going to be top 6 guy, then it's right that we didn't make that trade.

If, however, we thought the Dman was going to be #5/6 or a F was going to be a bottom 6 guy because that's how we had our tiers ranked, then that's where you want to be looking at a trade down scenario; or alternatively a trade-up scenario to get someone on the tier above on your internal draft list.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm really not sure what you're saying....

OF COURSE when scouts are putting together their books on these players and start to rank them into tiers on their draft lists, they are projecting where they think these players will play in the lineup. It doesn't always mean they're going to be right, but there's no question they're making those kind of projections when they're doing those draft rankings.

With Pickering, we actually know that BUF tried to trade pick #28 and #39 for #21, because they released their Embedded "inside the draft" video where GM KA was trying to trade up with every team from #17 and the early 20's to move up to that spot. If we thought Pickering was going to be a top 4 Dman, or we were looking at a F that we thought was going to be top 6 guy, then it's right that we didn't make that trade.

If, however, we thought the Dman was going to be #5/6 or a F was going to be a bottom 6 guy because that's how we had our tiers ranked, then that's where you want to be looking at a trade down scenario; or alternatively a trade-up scenario to get someone on the tier above on your internal draft list.

I think viewing Poulin as a top nine 20 goal and 20 assist guy with upside of a top six talent because of his size and hands if he can figure out skating is different than what you are saying.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well I guess this is the next little pile of players on the table to sort through... DOC, Poulin and Puus.

Poulin should be the easy pick here due to age and pedigree. But I'm not convinced his ceiling isn't just "solid third liner." Not bad... but as a ceiling maybe not great. DOC has done some intriguing things and was damn near a PPG on a very poor WB/S team that featured almost nothing in the way of offense. He also had a nice stretch of play for the Penguins to start last season which he could not sustain but was still encouraging. Like @Peat -- I'm just not convinced he can take the exciting parts of his game to the NHL full time and the clock is starting to tick a little on him. Puus played basically a full campaign for WB/S and was their top scorer his first year. He's kind of your classic wildcard in this prospect pool. But he seems to have good instincts and his game LOOKS like it should translate with more ease than many others on this list.

I'm going with Puus. He scored at an 82 point pace in the NHL last year, after all.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Its Poulin and DOC for the next slots but I went with Poulin because he's more of a prospect to me than DOC.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
O’Connor looks like a great pickup but we overrate him here imo. I don’t think he’s some safe bet to be better than say, a Scott Wilson was.

charlie-day-always-sunny.gif

:laugh:

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
f*** it, I hear that Svejkovsky kid is interesting. Go for him.
He did have a great year in the WHL, though as an overager.
On the one hand, he's less than six feet tall, so he didn't have such a great year by simply being bigger and stronger like many other overagers do.
On the other hand, he's less than six feet tall, so maybe his size will hinder him getting into the NHL?

(As an example of his great year, he was the only good player on the Medicine Hat team, and was traded to Seattle on Dec. 27th. He finished the season as Medicine Hat's top scorer.)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Went with Puustinen. Feels like the team talks him up a bit. Nearly as close to NHL regular as DOC, better ceiling. I don't expect to feel right about that one in two months because either of a) Poulin continuing to score equal or more than him in WBS, as happened at the end of last season b) DOC actually sticking in the NHL as a productive guy would make me wrong, but there we go.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Heads up all that I intend to run this poll until midnight tonight EST, and right now the margin doesn't look tight enough for a run-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad