• Swoyer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The top three are picked with Blomqvist getting our bronze medal. So who's next?

The following are still not on the poll:

Airola, Laatsch, McCleary, Collins, Maniscalco, Bjorkqvist, Devlin, Yoder, Plante

Suggestions welcome for next in, will likely default to next highest pick that's not Bjorkqvist if people don't say.

1. Pickering (34.7%. won run-off vs POJ)
2. Joseph
3. Blomqvist (50%)

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I feel like Lindberg would have just as much potential as Blomqvist, but this injury that won't heal is very concerning.

Nevertheless, I'll go against my skeptical nature and vote for him, in hopes that he'll be alright.
Just really like his fundamentals and confidence.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
puusy. the lindberg injury is a cliche at this point. if he ever plays a game again i’ll be happy

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Count me in for Puusy…definitely the forward rn with the best combination of ceiling and NHL readiness…

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
DOC. Played in the NHL right out of college. Not really successful at that time but his main line mates were Jankowski and Lafferty.

Nearly a point per game in the AHL playing all positions and all situations. Usually WBS's best player.

Could be a 2nd liner but I believe he's at least a 4th liner.

Why didn't I vote Poulin or Puustinen? Their ceilings are also 2nd liners but I don't see their floors as being 4th liners yet. In Puustinen's case I don't think his skills even translate to a 4th line player. He's middle six or bust.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
DOC. Played in the NHL right out of college. Not really successful at that time but his main line mates were Jankowski and Lafferty.

Nearly a point per game in the AHL playing all positions and all situations. Usually WBS's best player.

Could be a 2nd liner but I believe he's at least a 4th liner.

Why didn't I vote Poulin or Puustinen? Their ceilings are also 2nd liners but I don't see their floors as being 4th liners yet. In Puustinen's case I don't think his skills even translate to a 4th line player. He's middle six or bust.

I don't know how anyone could have Poulin over DOC if you watch WBS games and watch both of them play.

Poulin may or may not turn into a good player, and I'm pretty high on Puustinen, but DOC Is Life

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I don't know how anyone could have Poulin over DOC if you watch WBS games and watch both of them play.

Poulin may or may not turn into a good player, and I'm pretty high on Puustinen, but DOC Is Life
Probably a combo of draft status, current age gap, the fact that DOC has not really looked solidified in his NHL stints.

I'm super down on Poulin but he's got a higher ceiling than DOC...hitting it is another question. But it's all about Puus for the #4 spot.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Probably a combo of draft status, current age gap, the fact that DOC has not really looked solidified in his NHL stints.

I'm super down on Poulin but he's got a higher ceiling than DOC...hitting it is another question. But it's all about Puus for the #4 spot.

Well the counter argument is DOC wasn't even eligible to be recalled in the latter half of last season because of the salary cap (not having enough space for his performance bonuses), so I don't think we can say with a straight face that he wasn't given a chance to solidify an NHL spot.

This season he'll have that chance, while Poulin has to get to the point where he can get to DOC's level of dominance at the AHL level before he can make any jump and be effective at the NHL level. DOC out-produced Puusy as well down there. So I have Puusy ahead of Poulin, but DOC ahead of both (and also ahead of POJ).

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Well the counter argument is DOC wasn't even eligible to be recalled in the latter half of last season because of the salary cap (not having enough space for his performance bonuses), so I don't think we can say with a straight face that he wasn't given a chance to solidify an NHL spot.

This season he'll have that chance, while Poulin has to get to the point where he can get to DOC's level of dominance at the AHL level before he can make any jump and be effective at the NHL level. DOC out-produced Puusy as well down there. So I have Puusy ahead of Poulin, but DOC ahead of both (and also ahead of POJ).
DOC is 24, he better be dominating AHL talent if he wants the big show. I really am waiting to see how this plays out for him. Don't get me wrong I want your top 6 dream to be accurate. It'd be such a diamond in the rough.

But if I'm realistic....I won't get my hopes up until he shows me something against NHL competition.

Zohorna 2 years back made some big boy moves/goals that really grabbed my attention. Last year he was lethargic and I was massively disappointed. I hope he also comes in better conditioned.

Reactions: Andy99

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
DOC is 24, he better be dominating AHL talent if he wants the big show. I really am waiting to see how this plays out for him. Don't get me wrong I want your top 6 dream to be accurate. It'd be such a diamond in the rough.

But if I'm realistic....I won't get my hopes up until he shows me something against NHL competition.

Zohorna 2 years back made some big boy moves/goals that really grabbed my attention. Last year he was lethargic and I was massively disappointed. I hope he also comes in better conditioned.

You mention DOC being 24, which is pretty much EXACTLY the development path and timeframe of later round draft picks or undrafted college players who make it.

Look at Rust at the same age. Look at Kunitz at the same age. To use a non-Pens example, look at Zach Hyman at the same age.

DOC is right on track with all of those guys, if not ahead of them, considering he was a late bloomer (physically and developmentally) and only played 2 years in college, unlike the 4 years all those other guys played.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
You mention DOC being 24, which is pretty much EXACTLY the development path and timeframe of later round draft picks or undrafted college players who make it.

Look at Rust at the same age. Look at Kunitz at the same age. To use a non-Pens example, look at Zach Hyman at the same age.

DOC is right on track with all of those guys, if not ahead of them, considering he was a late bloomer (physically and developmentally) and only played 2 years in college, unlike the 4 years all those other guys played.

Michael Bunting another late bloomer. Helps he was no long on/with Arizona.

Reactions: jmelm

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I’m not sure this is necessarily true.

I think we need to acknowledge how low scoring WBS was last year and it’s not like all the last couple players to develop into NHL talent were PPG players (Blueger and Rust are my examples).

Reactions: Malkinstheman

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’m not sure this is necessarily true.

I think we need to acknowledge how low scoring WBS was last year and it’s not like all the last couple players to develop into NHL talent were PPG players (Blueger and Rust are my examples).

Yes, but Rust -- though he developed later into an offensive force -- and Blueger were not offensive players in the AHL and that was not their NHL projection. They always projected to be bottom 6 role players, though Rust exceeded that after entering the NHL in that kind of role. Poulin was drafted to be an offensive player. The expectation was that he would be a top 6 player.

Now, perhaps the Pens' staff and fans have needed to revise their expectations down on Poulin and see him as a bottom 6 guy. If that's the case, sure: he doesn't need to be pushing a point per game in that role, but he's got to be a great PKer and shot blocker, etc.

But if Poulin is still seen as, or has hopes to be, a top 6 offensive player, then he should be putting up close to a point per game and 25-30 goals at the AHL level either in his second or his third/final year in WBS. That's not an unreasonable expectation if we expect him to be a top 6 contributor in the NHL.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

The outlook of this team would immediately trend North if he were a young Kunitz. Are you in contact with DOC? Can you tell him to get it done?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, but Rust -- though he developed later into an offensive force -- and Blueger were not offensive players in the AHL and that was not their NHL projection. They always projected to be bottom 6 role players, though Rust exceeded that after entering the NHL in that kind of role. Poulin was drafted to be an offensive player. The expectation was that he would be a top 6 player.

Now, perhaps the Pens' staff and fans have needed to revise their expectations down on Poulin and see him as a bottom 6 guy. If that's the case, sure: he doesn't need to be pushing a point per game in that role, but he's got to be a great PKer and shot blocker, etc.

But if Poulin is still seen as, or has hopes to be, a top 6 offensive player, then he should be putting up close to a point per game and 25-30 goals at the AHL level either in his second or his third/final year in WBS. That's not an unreasonable expectation if we expect him to be a top 6 contributor in the NHL.

I don't recall Poulin ever being cast as a top six forward.

I think the book on Poulin has always been a top nine winger who has hands, size, can be trusted in all situations, and chip in goals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Honest question. Did we draft Poulin in the first round to be projected as a 3rd liner?

I mean, the bottom 20s is an area where you are likely getting an NHL player, but I don't think you are getting top six locks. It's kind of like people saying Pickering has top pairing potential. I just don't see that happening at all either. He'll probably be a # 4 at best. Just like Poulin at best was going to be a third wheel on L2.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don't recall Poulin ever being cast as a top six forward.

I think the book on Poulin has always been a top nine winger who has hands, size, can be trusted in all situations, and chip in goals.

Ehh a lot of reports said he had top six potential. Some even called him a potential boom or bust.

Reactions: jmelm

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ehh a lot of reports said he had top six potential. Some even called him a potential boom or bust.

Top six potential and being a top six forward is different in my opinion. Top six potential means he may get there. I don't know. I think Poulin could be in the NHL right now if they team wanted him up.

Pelletier who is a much better prospect hasn't played an NHL game yet either.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Top six potential and being a top six forward is different in my opinion. Top six potential means he may get there. I don't know. I think Poulin could be in the NHL right now if they team wanted him up.

Pelletier who is a much better prospect hasn't played an NHL game yet either.

I am not worried about Poulin yet. This is a huge year for him. He should be tops on the team with Puustinen. Especially if DOC, Z or both are off the team. He had a decent rookie year but he really needs to start excelling.

I think progression is more important than coming out high flying. He just needs to keep getting better to have a chance. I would like to see him get at least one game this year though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I am not worried about Poulin yet. This is a huge year for him. He should be tops on the team with Puustinen. Especially if DOC, Z or both are off the team. He had a decent rookie year but he really needs to start excelling.

I think progression is more important than coming out high flying. He just needs to keep getting better to have a chance. I would like to see him get at least one game this year though.

I honestly think Poulin has all the skills needed to be an NHL player right now. His issue right now is commitment and effort. And I seriously wonder if that has to do with COVID given how he has alluded to a personal situation effecting him last season prior to the scratch.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Poulin came into camp skating and disrupting like he was in the covid pre-playoff bubble camp, I'd have him top of this list in a heartbeat.

I'm going to take a little longer to think about him vs Puustinen and DOC, but I think he's next. He finished last season in WBS stronger than Puustinen, and worries about Poulin's skating must be put against Puustinen's size. DOC, I'm slowly souring on his ability to translate his AHL and junior production to the big league.

I do think Poulin has the highest production ceiling here too. I think they've probably all got equal goalscoring ceilings, but Poulin's ability to make plays looks a step ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad