Proposal: Penguins-Oilers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Sheahan, DeSmith and Sprong
Oilers trade Talbot at 50% and Rattie/Khaira

Who adds in this? I keep alternating between this being bad for the Penguins and being bad for the Oilers, which makes me think it's close in value.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
This is bad very bad for Pittsburgh. They get almost no value back. Talbot is a UFA after this season and has been very bad so far (while DeSmith had been good). Rattie or Juju are 3rd/4th liners on most teams and while they still have some value its very minimal.

But as an Oilers fan, yes please.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Penguins trade Sheahan, DeSmith and Sprong
Oilers trade Talbot at 50% and Rattie/Khaira

Who adds in this? I keep alternating between this being bad for the Penguins and being bad for the Oilers, which makes me think it's close in value.

has Jim Rutherford suffered a stroke or are the oilers holding his wife, kids and the family dog hostage to get this deal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is bad very bad for Pittsburgh. They get almost no value back. Talbot is a UFA after this season and has been very bad so far (while DeSmith had been good). Rattie or Juju are 3rd/4th liners on most teams and while they still have some value its very minimal.

But as an Oilers fan, yes please.

They're also really not giving anything up, though. Sprong is really the only valuable piece they're giving up here, and his value in reality is probably far less than it is on here due to his performance in the NHL and his waiver eligibility. I think purely in terms of value, Sprong's value right now can't be higher than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I think the big thing here is that I don't view really any of these pieces to be all that valuable, so it's basically swapping spare parts for spare parts. The Penguins get a more reliable 1B option than DeSmith, which they are rumored to be shopping for (based on them being interested in Howard), and a decent bottom-6 piece. The Oilers get a replacement backup goalie, a bottom-6 center and a struggling prospect who requires waivers.

You can balance the trade with picks if you want, but I feel like the value in this trade is too low for any significant picks to be added here.

Last edited:

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
They're also really not giving anything up, though. Sprong is really the only valuable piece they're giving up here, and his value in reality is probably far less than it is on here due to his performance in the NHL and his waiver eligibility. I think purely in terms of value, Sprong's value right now can't be higher than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I think the big thing here is that I don't view really any of these pieces to be all that valuable, so it's basically swapping spare parts for spare parts. The Penguins get a more reliable 1B option than DeSmith, which they are rumored to be shopping for (based on them being interested in Howard), and a decent bottom-6 piece. The Oilers get a replacement backup goalie, a bottom-6 center and a struggling prospect who requires waivers.

You can balance the trade with picks if you want, but I feel like the value in this trade is too low for any significant picks to be added here.

21 year old ppg player in the AHL and just hasnt broke into the NHL yet doesnt scream struggling. I'd say Pens fans wouldnt trade him alone for Talbs and Rattie let alone adding a goalie performing better than Talbot and an equivalent bottom 6 player. DeSmith and Sheahan for Talbs and Khaira is closer. Sprong is essentially free in this offer.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Sprong has been Sullivan'd. His value is probably at an all time low. If you were wondering why Cole was only a throw in in the Brassard trade, now you know.

Reactions: Lemieuxs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
21 year old ppg player in the AHL and just hasnt broke into the NHL yet doesnt scream struggling. I'd say Pens fans wouldnt trade him alone for Talbs and Rattie let alone adding a goalie performing better than Talbot and an equivalent bottom 6 player. DeSmith and Sheahan for Talbs and Khaira is closer. Sprong is essentially free in this offer.

The problem is that he can't be sent down to the AHL because he's waiver eligible, and he needs more time in the AHL to round out the rest of his game. He's about in the worst spot possible for a prospect, he's waiver eligible while needing more time to develop on a win-now team that isn't focused on developing young players. Sullivan doesn't like his game (and I don't blame him), which just makes it even worse for him. Sprong's value is almost completely down the drain because of his waiver eligibility, which is a screw up that dates back to 2015.

I'd 1000% do DeSmith and Sheahan for Talbot and Khaira, I just don't see why the Oilers would do that and it seems really bad in value for them. Even with Talbot struggling this year, he still has a track record of performing in a starter's workload. His value may be lower due to his struggles, but I don't think he's valueless. Even with DeSmith having a really good start to his NHL career, his value is like a 4th round pick based on what other backup goalies have been traded for.

In this trade, I'd probably say Sheahan, DeSmith and Khaira are both worth mid to late round picks (3rd or later) and Sprong is worth a middle round pick (2nd or 3rd). I may just be overvaluing Talbot, but I feel like a 2nd and 4th for Talbot at 50% isn't a ridiculous suggestion.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The problem is that he can't be sent down to the AHL because he's waiver eligible, and he needs more time in the AHL to round out the rest of his game. He's about in the worst spot possible for a prospect, he's waiver eligible while needing more time to develop on a win-now team that isn't focused on developing young players. Sullivan doesn't like his game (and I don't blame him), which just makes it even worse for him. Sprong's value is almost completely down the drain because of his waiver eligibility, which is a screw up that dates back to 2015.

I'd 1000% do DeSmith and Sheahan for Talbot and Khaira, I just don't see why the Oilers would do that and it seems really bad in value for them. Even with Talbot struggling this year, he still has a track record of performing in a starter's workload. His value may be lower due to his struggles, but I don't think he's valueless. Even with DeSmith having a really good start to his NHL career, his value is like a 4th round pick based on what other backup goalies have been traded for.

In this trade, I'd probably say Sheahan, DeSmith and Khaira are both worth mid to late round picks (3rd or later) and Sprong is worth a middle round pick (2nd or 3rd). I may just be overvaluing Talbot, but I feel like a 2nd and 4th for Talbot at 50% isn't a ridiculous suggestion.

Talbot has had 1 season of proven success as a starter and has looked awful, his value is probably less than we paid. I guess it's just a difference of opinion, but I think Sprong has value. See what everyone else thinks though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad