Proposal: Penguins-Oilers offseason goalie swap

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Jarry
Oilers trade Campbell at $3.5 million and a 2024 2nd

Oilers run with Jarry and Skinner as their goalie tandem going forward, while the Penguins treat Campbell more as a 1B to either Nedjelkovic or Blomqvist. The $1.5 million salary retention on Campbell makes his contract much more reasonable (3 years at $3.5 million). This is a “change of scenery” swap for both of them, but with Edmonton adding due to the difference between Campbell and Jarry.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Penguins trade Jarry

Oilers run with Jarry and Skinner as their goalie tandem going forward, while the Penguins treat Campbell more as a 1B to either Nedjelkovic or Blomqvist. The $1.5 million salary retention on Campbell makes his contract much more reasonable (3 years at $3.5 million). This is a “change of scenery” swap for both of them, but with Edmonton adding due to the difference between Campbell and Jarry.
Done.

Edit: OK that might have been a bit premature. With the retained $1.5m and Jarry’s $5.375m salary that would mean the Oilers would be paying $6.875m for a Jarry quality goalie and Jarry has an additional year on his contract. Maybe better to go the buyout route with Campbell. Jarry is the better value for sure and there is hope he might bounce back. I have little, to no, confidence that Campbell will ever be an NHL goalie again.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Done.

Edit: OK that might have been a bit premature. With the retained $1.5m and Jarry’s $5.75m salary that would mean the Oilers would be paying $7.25m for a Jarry quality goalie and Jarry has an additional year on his contract. Maybe better to go the buyout route with Campbell. Jarry is the better value for sure and there is hope he might bounce back. I have little, to no, confidence that Campbell will ever be an NHL goalie again.

Jarry's only making $5.35 million, so he's making a bit less.

But yeah, the concept here is that the Oilers are taking a "bad" deal by trading a 2nd and taking back Jarry at effectively $6.85 million, but the alternative to that with Campbell is to either buy him out or trading even more to get out of his deal. Jarry's having a down year but even a "down" year for him has him at a league average save%.

The idea with the Penguins is gambling on Campbell rebounding with a change of scenery, not into a starter but more into a 1B type of goalie. He has been really good statistically in the AHL this year (.921 save% in 30 games), so they'd be acquiring him hoping he can give like 30-35 games a year at a .905 save% or so. Either Campbell ends up crappy and they stash him in the AHL for a $2.3 million cap penalty with Nedjelkovic and Blomqvist as their NHL goalies, or Campbell bounces back into some sort of NHL form and they have him as a 1B goalie at a fair 1B goalie price.

Reactions: zar

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Penguins trade Jarry

The pens do this?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The pens do this?

Really depends on what Dubas thinks of Campbell. There's the obvious connection with Toronto and Campbell is having a good AHL season this year. If Dubas thinks he can be rehabilitated into at least an effective 1B goalie, I can absolutely see him pulling the trigger on this.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Really depends on what Dubas thinks of Campbell. There's the obvious connection with Toronto and Campbell is having a good AHL season this year. If Dubas thinks he can be rehabilitated into at least an effective 1B goalie, I can absolutely see him pulling the trigger on this.

Being in a (somewhat) less rambunctious city for hockey would help. His issues are almost all mental. He needs a place where pressure isn't super high.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
At first glance, it seems like a no brainer for Edmonton, but honestly, Skinner looks good enough for us to run with a very inexpensive backup, like they have right now. The alternative, of course, is to buy out Campbell.

I suspect that the Oilers might do this if they could flip Jarry, but I imagine the Pens would do their due dilligence first to see if there was a better deal out there, and if they made this deal, it would show that there wasn't.

It's an interesting concept for sure, but I'm just not sure if the Oilers are interested in having 9.25ish M wrapped up in goaltending, when they also need to improve the 2nd pair RD (probably a 6M hit+ to do that), and ideally add some depth to the forward core too. I just don't see how it fits in with the Oilers cap scenario. Buying out Campbell only leaves us with a 1.5M penalty next year.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If Jarry is so good and in demand, Pens should trade him for a pick and then also take a pick from Edmonton to take Campbell in the scenario Dubas would take him on as a reclamation project.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Jarry's only making $5.35 million, so he's making a bit less.

But yeah, the concept here is that the Oilers are taking a "bad" deal by trading a 2nd and taking back Jarry at effectively $6.85 million, but the alternative to that with Campbell is to either buy him out or trading even more to get out of his deal. Jarry's having a down year but even a "down" year for him has him at a league average save%.

The idea with the Penguins is gambling on Campbell rebounding with a change of scenery, not into a starter but more into a 1B type of goalie. He has been really good statistically in the AHL this year (.921 save% in 30 games), so they'd be acquiring him hoping he can give like 30-35 games a year at a .905 save% or so. Either Campbell ends up crappy and they stash him in the AHL for a $2.3 million cap penalty with Nedjelkovic and Blomqvist as their NHL goalies, or Campbell bounces back into some sort of NHL form and they have him as a 1B goalie at a fair 1B goalie price.
Kudos for a well-written proposal and justification.

That being said, I'm not sure EDM isn't better off with a buyout, and I'm not sure a 2nd is enough of a sweetener to take on a large contract for a complete gamble.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I’d rather run with Stu and Soup

Skinner is the goalie of the future and Soup only has 3 years left after this season. He’s had a good stretch in the AHL this season, I’d give him a shot as backup next year

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oil can’t do this from a cap perspective. We’ll be looking to shed salary this off-season, not gain salary.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If Jarry is so good and in demand, Pens should trade him for a pick and then also take a pick from Edmonton to take Campbell in the scenario Dubas would take him on as a reclamation project.

Similar to this situation, deal Jarry somewhere else and then sign Campbell for cheap after the Oilers buy him out. That probably works out better and would save both teams cap space.

Challenge would be to find a team with the cap space that needs Jarry. Maybe LA? Would they trade within the division with Philly or New Jersey?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I can see the logic but I think I would want more in return than just a 2nd.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Easy pass. The buyout of Campbell is better than losing almost 7m in cap for Jarry.

I don't think it's a good move for either club.

I’d rather keep Campbell or buy him out than pay a second and effectively have Jarry at nearly 7 per. If Dubas was good with Campbell with no retention, I think there could be something worked out (a bigger sweetener obviously)

That's the only way I'd consider this too. Even still I'd probably see what is available to us to improve with the cap if we buyout Campbell. I'm not even remotely convinced this is the best option.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah that's an easy pass for the Oilers, would rather run Campbell with Skinner than to retain AND pay an asset for a goalie that has struggled just like Campbell. Goaltenders that aren't elite are seriously voodoo as hell, not worth the risk for the Oilers. Much easier to buy Campbell out and use the money to upgrade elsewhere.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Interesting but I'd rather just buy-out Campbell. Save that pick and maybe take a shot at a change of scenery guy as backup. That could also change depending how Skinner fairs in the playoffs too

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Penguins trade Jarry

Into the sun with that idea. Are you a Flyers fan all of a sudden?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah that's an easy pass for the Oilers, would rather run Campbell with Skinner than to retain AND pay an asset for a goalie that has struggled just like Campbell. Goaltenders that aren't elite are seriously voodoo as hell, not worth the risk for the Oilers. Much easier to buy Campbell out and use the money to upgrade elsewhere.

Saying Jarry has struggled like Campbell is a wildly bizarre thing to say.

Reactions: domaug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad