News Article: Penguins' Maatta expects to be ready for camp

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Like I've mentioned, I think they're just being cautious as ****, which they should, to be honest. You've got recovery from surgery, then the rehab, then finally building back upper-body muscle -- I'd imagine they're giving extra time at the end of each step to make sure he's absolutely ready to move on to the next one. It's a crucial stage of his young career. They don't wanna **** anything up. Can't afford to.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i mean, he's only been out for like 10 months, so why be certainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I can't wait for the Lifetime Movie:

Olli Maatta: A Career Finnished too Soon

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
This can't be good news about the long lasting affects of the injury. Didn't they botch his shoulder surgery and had to get it repaired?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I think the issue was that he rushed back before fully recovered.
(correct me if I'm wrong)

Thing is shoulder's are wonky, I've had one surgery where the full recovery window was up to 18 months. Most normal surgeries for labrums/rotator stuff the ortho doc will tell you that you'll be functional in 6 months, but you won't have a good shoulder until a year. At his age/conditioning he can be under a year for sure, not knowing anything about the nature of the 2nd surgery.

But it's not surprising that his recovery schedule takes him out 9 months from surgery.

This is also why I get a little anxious about the idea that he will be glued to Letang's hip next season and play huge minutes. He hasn't survived one season yet, let alone one where he is playing top pairing minutes.

I'm hopeful but it might be unrealistic to expect him to fulfill that role.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
i mean, he's only been out for like 10 months, so why be certainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I can't wait for the Lifetime Movie:

Olli Maatta: A Career Finnished too Soon

david-caruso.jpg

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I don't think we ever found out of it was a botched surgery or botched timeline.

Didn't Blackburn and Palffy have to retire because of shoulders? If that happens to him I'm out.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't think we ever found out of it was a botched surgery or botched timeline.

Didn't Blackburn and Palffy have to retire because of shoulders? If that happens to him I'm out.

Blackburn had a fluky nerve injury in his shoulder that pretty much took away any range of motion he had with his glove hand. It wasn't just chronic shoulder problems, it was a rare, catastrophic type of injury.

Palffy "retired" and then went back home and started playing again, he just wanted to get off of the 05/06 Penguins.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If I'm the opposition coach my whole game plan is to hit, hit, and then hit again both Maata and Letang.

Hope they both make it through 82+.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
As a fan of Finnish hockey, I hope his play hasn't taken a hit due to him being absent for so long. Hope he becomes a stud for you guys! :)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The rumor was that the surgery required drilling a hole in his scapula and that the drilled hole ended up cracking his scapula. Certainly that didn't happen during surgery or else they would've noticed it and repaired it or at least adjusted the rehab timeline accordingly. So it must've happened after. So it sounds like just bad luck more than anything, a bunch of factors working against him.

Blackburn had nerve damage from off-season training and couldn't lift his catching hand up very high. Palffy kept playing in Slovakia for a while.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd be surprised if he wasn't. I think he'll come out on fire initially and after that we'll see how everything holds up. I'm excited to see him play again, hopefully his skating took a step forward.

Letang's head is the bigger concern, and his consistent fragility. So many concussions and a stroke, Jesus is that worrying.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Maatta or Letang goes down...we will be in trouble. At some point during the season I'd like to see Scuds traded off for peanuts and ideally Kunitz sent out with a dman coming back. Even if it's a bad 3, good 4. Would be a life saver to have Niskanen right now...but oh well.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I always got the sense that Palffy's shoulder problems were an excuse to go back to Europe. Timeline of his situation was that he skipped games to get married, said he couldn't play any more because his shoulder hurt, retired, got on a plane, then immediately signed with a Czech team.

Seems to me Ziggy may have had a "wife doesn't want to live in the US" problem more than a shoulder problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00