Seravalli: Penguins looking to trade Pierre-Olivier Joseph

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How is Pitts goaltending depth? Canucks looking to move DiPietro

Not an issue. They have Jarry, DeSmith, Tokarski and Lindberg as depth. They don't need DiPietro.

They'd probably be looking to get an depth defensemen they can put in the AHL back for him. Using Vancouver as an example, they'd probably want something like Wolanin and NYR's 4th for POJ.

Reactions: Nucker42

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Because he was a top pairing D at one point on here according to this board. Just pointing out a pattern
I don't see any pattern. Maatta was a top 4 dman on back to back cup teams. Then he got cancer and his game fell off a cliff. PO Joseph isn't even an NHL regular yet.

Reactions: Peen

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Smith is not close to NHL quality as to defense and needs work. POJ just is not highly regarded now and most prospects fail at some point.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think a team that really makes sense as a potential POJ suitor is Florida. They're extremely thin on defense with their off-season moves and could really use a cheap gamble to get some competent and cheap NHL play from their defense. POJ is signed for both this year and next year at $800k, so he is a pretty cheap cap committment.

Their defense right now is:

Forsling-Ekblad
Staal-Gudas
Carlsson-Montour

And I really struggle to see POJ not being an upgrade on Staal on that 2nd pair.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
How about Klim Kostin? Trade of former 1sts who have been unable to get footing. Both need waivers to go down. Maybe both would benefit from change of scenery?
He’s a mythical player for a lot of Pens fans as he was the guy the Blues picked with that all-time great trade of a 1st and Sundqvist for approximately 50 mins TOI of Ryan Reaves.

I’d do that trade just to help put that memory to rest.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Damn yet another vastly overrated dman out of Pitts. Maata, Marino, now POJ.

The irony coming from your fanbase, especially considering Penguins fans never sold POJ as anything special. Outside hope he'd turn into a #4D at some point, but no expectations beyond that.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The irony coming from your fanbase, especially considering Penguins fans never sold POJ as anything special. Outside hope he'd turn into a #4D at some point, but no expectations beyond that.

Please. When y'all got rid of Marino the thread was filled with Pens fans saying POJ made him expendable.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Please. When y'all got rid of Marino the thread was filled with Pens fans saying POJ made him expendable.

I call BS because they don't even play the same side. The additions of Petry and Ruutta made Marino expendable. POJ was just a cheap alternative to fill out that third pairing LD spot.

And in any case, it's still ironic that the fanbase most notorious for overrating the hell out of their players is mocking other fanbases for that.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Teams should take advantage of full durrrp Hextall right now.

Operation donate every player under 30 continues in Pittsburgh

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I just don't see any real value there. He's just had too many failures to launch at this point. Maybe some of it is not fitting with the coach/system, but 1st round picks like that get a lot of chances and opportunities, and he's just repeatedly failed to establish any momentum with that.

But maybe for a team in need of cheap depth would toss a late pick or prospect their way, to jump the waiver priority i guess. Just seems like everyone's got plenty of quantity right now (especially LHD who haven't established themselves as NHLers). What everyone is desperate for, is Quality. And/or Cap Space. Or just roster spots.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I wouldn't be shocked if nobody trades for him, knowing they can get him for free in a week or even sooner,

Here's the issue with that train of thought. Unless you're at the top of the waiver wire queue, there's no guarantee that you'll get him.

Reactions: Blueston

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Looks like he’s finally run out of options in Pittsburgh. He’s likely waiver bound at this point. They’re not going to mess with another player’s advancement (Ty Smith) just to keep POJ’s rights.

Obviously there hasn’t been much (if any) interest after offering him to all 31 teams.. Maybe a team throws a late pick at the Pens just to take a look, or they have a forward they think they’ll lose on waivers, they’d be willing to swap. Probably not though.

Although waivers is another story, he really hasn’t shown enough to guarantee he’s claimed either. Maybe if a team lacks a quality 7th who can send that #7 down, has an injury, or has enough cap space they can roster 8 dmen right now, just to take a hard look for a month?? Even at that, chances are, he’ll end up on waivers again later this year.

Pro scouting is so good these days, everyone knows him and what he brings to the table. He’s a second or two behind where he needs to be in his decision making. It’s always been the major difference between NHL players, especially dmen, and really good players in the AHL, SHL, etc.

He’s not a player like Cholowski, who has the skill set (to play in the NHL) and for whatever reason just doesn’t seem to be able to get physically stronger. Teams will keep giving him chances for another year or two hoping he somehow is able to put on some muscle. POJ just doesn’t have that upside. He’s had the same issues since Arizona drafted him.

So although he’ll get a couple more chances (on waivers) around the league, the writing has been on the wall for awhile now.

He might wanna keep a bag packed this year cause he’ll likely be on waivers multiple times.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Although waivers is another story, he really hasn’t shown enough to guarantee he’s claimed either. Maybe if a team lacks a quality 7th who can send that #7 down, has an injury, or has enough cap space they can roster 8 dmen right now, just to take a hard look for a month?? Even at that, chances are, he’ll end up on waivers again later this year.

I assure you he would get claimed off waivers.

He's right on that Cholowski/Mete/Juolevi/ect tier of young defensemen who never pass through waivers. Teams aren't willing to trade much for them, but they absolutely never get through waivers on their first time on waivers.

Even with his flaws, teams will see a 23 year old former 1st rounder who's a NHL ready 2-way defenseman who skates phenomenally well. That's not getting through waivers, especially when teams like Florida are playing Marc Staal on their 2nd pair.

Reactions: Pens x

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He’s a mythical player for a lot of Pens fans as he was the guy the Blues picked with that all-time great trade of a 1st and Sundqvist for approximately 50 mins TOI of Ryan Reaves.

I’d do that trade just to help put that memory to rest.
To be fair, it was Reaves and a 2nd (51st pick) for a 1st (31st pick) and Sundqvist.

It didn’t seem like a terrible trade at the time to me. We move down 20 picks for Reaves and a player who could never crack the lineup and would’ve be put on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad