Speculation: Penguins in market for another center

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Can either of these guys play the wing at all? While center is kind of a need at the moment, it would be nice to be able to acquire guys who can play both C and W when everyone is healthy and pieces need to be moved around.

I guess you could try anything but I would not play Zajac at wing. He's a center all the way.

He has a full NMC, NJ fans are guessing that he won't want to uproot to go play somewhere else, but there's speculation that he'd waive to go to the Islanders since he wouldn't have to move.

But I was thinking, Pittsburgh plays in NJ, Philly, New York City, Boston, and Buffalo, 4 of the teams that they play are in driving distance to where Zajac lives, which means he would only be away from home for the Pittsburgh, Boston, and Buffalo games.

Don't care too much about the return, it would be very cool to see Zajac get another shot at a cup.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Tbh Sam Bennett fits the mold they're probably looking for, but I don't know if there's a viable trade to be made.
There is serious smoke here.. this woukd be my guess for sure. Bennett for Petterson.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Major no's to....Bennett, Sutter, Brassard. If guys feel a need for any of them really need to try and prove why they'd be good. Bennett doesn't even play center anymore. The name Bennett in these parts is cursed, Beau should check in on this.

I'd be down for Soderberg/Glendening/ Strome and such, Strome more for future purposes than a solid bottom six defensive two ways center. I think he could learn a lot from Geno and Sid to bring out his potential to be even more offensive down the line.

Pitt confirmed they will NOT be dealing this pick.

The only thing they said they were not trading was Poulin and Legare. Depending on who's available and the costs are not too high there's possibilities.

A 2nd for Strome could be seen as a steal. Fit what they are trying to do, filling a now and future need.

Needless to say, this is more a move to make than for Bennett. Long-in-the-pants at 6'3 200 lbs. with 1 more year at a manageable cap.

People are caught up with the whole 4c because they are frighten about Blueger's place amongst the ranks... No doubt it's more of a 3c type center if you want to have two 3rd lines.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Major no's to....Bennett, Sutter, Brassard. If guys feel a need for any of them really need to try and prove why they'd be good. Bennett doesn't even play center anymore. The name Bennett in these parts is cursed, Beau should check in on this.

I'd be down for Soderberg/Glendening/ Strome and such, Strome more for future purposes than a solid bottom six defensive two ways center. I think he could learn a lot from Geno and Sid to bring out his potential to be even more offensive down the line.

The only thing they said they were not trading was Poulin and Legare. Depending on who's available and the costs are not too high there's possibilities.

A 2nd for Strome could be seen as a steal. Fit what they are trying to do, filling a now and future need.

Needless to say, this is more a move to make than for Bennett. Long-in-the-pants at 6'3 200 lbs. with 1 more year at a manageable cap.

People are caught up with the whole 4c because they are frighten about Blueger's place amongst the ranks... No doubt it's more of a 3c type center if you want to have two 3rd lines.
Wrong.... Burke said today hextall has said they are NOT trading the second round pick . Via sportsnet .

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wrong.... Burke said today hextall has said they are NOT trading the second round pick . Via sportsnet .

That's the 2021 2nd and I'd agree. But there's also in how it's worded "Burke also mentioned GM Ron Hextall doesn’t want to trade the team’s second-round pick." Not that they won't.

Sounds like they should be targeting the other Gaudreau.

Guentzel - Crosby
Gaudreau - Malkin

That's a nice 1-2 punch if they can get 71 back for the playoffs.

:laugh:

No way they have the assets for that

In a trade of this magnitude it would take a roster player to complete a trade like this. Not saying Calgary would ever do this or accept it...but..

Zucker++ would have to be the major piece going back. Now what those pluses are is up for debate as is what a trade like this could end up shaking out to be considering it could grow into more to even out any discrepancies.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
That's the 2021 2nd and I'd agree. But there's also in how it's worded "Burke also mentioned GM Ron Hextall doesn’t want to trade the team’s second-round pick." Not that they won't.

In a trade of this magnitude it would take a roster player to complete a trade like this. Not saying Calgary would ever do this or accept it...but..

Zucker++ would have to be the major piece going back. Now what those pluses are is up for debate as is what a trade like this could end up shaking out to be considering it could grow into more to even out any discrepancies.
They have tradeable assets besides this pick. Hextall won't trade this.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
They have tradeable assets besides this pick. Hextall won't trade this.

Sure, but if the player fits the bill of what they are trying to accomplish they haven't put an expressive no there either. All it means is they will not waste that pick on some UFA.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Sure, but if the player fits the bill of what they are trying to accomplish they haven't put an expressive no there either. All it means is they will not waste that pick on some UFA.
These 2 coming sre have been super cautious perhaps even to the point of missing out. Eric stall would have been a good fit IMO. But rest assured they are not going to trade away this pick at this time . The pens have been great as of late but they are more than one piece away and a 2nd round pick isn't going to get you that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
These 2 coming sre have been super cautious perhaps even to the point of missing out. Eric stall would have been a good fit IMO. But rest assured they are not going to trade away this pick at this time . The pens have been great as of late but they are more than one piece away and a 2nd round pick isn't going to get you that.

No matter what you are saying here, it doesn't change that possibly they will trade it for the right deal. It's up for debate of how many pieces they are away because, with each injury has had someone come forward. Mostly in support roles.

So, agree to disagree. They may or may not trade it. It's your personal opinion they won't.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Can either of these guys play the wing at all? While center is kind of a need at the moment, it would be nice to be able to acquire guys who can play both C and W when everyone is healthy and pieces need to be moved around.
Glendening would be strictly a C i'd think, I don't know if it still stands, but a couple weeks ago he led the NHL in faceoff percentage, he was sitting above 63%

I don't recall him playing on either wing in recent memory.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No matter what you are saying here, it doesn't change that possibly they will trade it for the right deal. It's up for debate of how many pieces they are away because, with each injury has had someone come forward. Mostly in support roles.

So, agree to disagree. They may or may not trade it. It's your personal opinion they won't.
No its actually common sense here . This isn't Rutherford. You can Imagine all you want about magical deals but at the end of the day ..after trade deadline that pick will still belong to Pittsburgh. There are not many things guaranteed in hockey but thats as close as it gets. The pens have defence that will be long traded before their to pick. You dont have to agree and 8 may not even do a " i told you so" after the deadline

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
If the Flyers would do a trade with the Pens, Scott Laughton would be a nice addition. I don't know the cost - maybe a second round pick. He is a UFA so he isn't going to fetch much of a return.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If the Flyers would do a trade with the Pens, Scott Laughton would be a nice addition. I don't know the cost - maybe a second round pick. He is a UFA so he isn't going to fetch much of a return.

Yes Flyers are absolutely dying to strengthen the Pens for not much of a return, good call

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad