Speculation: Penguins in market for another center

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If the Flyers would do a trade with the Pens, Scott Laughton would be a nice addition. I don't know the cost - maybe a second round pick. He is a UFA so he isn't going to fetch much of a return.

He's definitely a piece we would love as Pens fan, but I really don't see that organization working with Hextall considering how that ended supposedly.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Glendening would be strictly a C i'd think, I don't know if it still stands, but a couple weeks ago he led the NHL in faceoff percentage, he was sitting above 63%

I don't recall him playing on either wing in recent memory.
He woukd be a OK fit as well... still think Bennett is the guy

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Yes Flyers are absolutely dying to strengthen the Pens for not much of a return, good call
Remember, you are dealing with a team that waived one of their better defensemen and also played Nate Prosser over Mark Friedman, losing Friedman to waivers. Don't underestimate the stupidity of the Flyers brass. Actually, they might just waive Laughton and then any team could have him for free.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
No its actually common sense here . This isn't Rutherford. You can Imagine all you want about magical deals but at the end of the day ..after trade deadline that pick will still belong to Pittsburgh. There are not many things guaranteed in hockey but thats as close as it gets. The pens have defence that will be long traded before their to pick. You dont have to agree and 8 may not even do a " i told you so" after the deadline

You'd pass up Strome for a 2nd and label that common sense....?

Because that's what you quoted.

You'd be lucky to get an everyday player with a late 2nd in what's perceived to be a weaker draft and not just because of Covid. It would be more prudent to not trade a 2022 pick over this years.

The Pens have few picks this year because they got guaranteed NHL'ers with those picks...

I'd say, common sense is taking a young NHL'er the quality of Strome for a 2nd would be better than any player you take mid to late 2nd round this year.

I already agree to disagree, and you on the subject of the perceived trade are just flat out wrong, and would be a fool not to do it.

Common sense has failed you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Laughton is a guy I could see the Penguins signing this off-season is Laughton to likely replace whichever or Zucker or McCann they lose in the expansion draft.

Reactions: ownal

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Would Andrew Copp from the Jets be of interest? We stand to lose him to Seattle, so better to trade him. He could be a 2c or 3c

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Would Andrew Copp from the Jets be of interest? We stand to lose him to Seattle, so better to trade him. He could be a 2c or 3c

What is the price?

I can't imagine this would be cheap. I also know it would probably not change any outcome ED wise. Meaning it couldn't be just picks/prospects considering Copp would be looking at a hefty raise.

Reactions: ownal

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
The more I think about this, the more I wonder why
Crosby
Malkin
Bluegar/McCann
Gaudreau
Jankowski

I think Lafferty, Angello and Zohorna have played Center too. If the Pens need a forward it’s a wing.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
David Krejci for ????

Krejci has 1 goal on tbe season and that was on the PP. Can't see paying the price it would take for that production. He is turning 35 this month and could be cooked. All pass, that was the Shero style of trading for aging vets and most as rentals. Loved the Rutherford method of trading for players that are young or in prime with term. Kessel, Perron, Brassard, Pearson, McCann, Zucker, Kapanen, Pettersson, and Marino come to mind. Some worked out and some didn't but all take those types of trades any day over adding aging vets.

If you are paying the price for a new like that I rather find the next Kapanen young breakout forward with upside. If you are going to use future assets to add make sure it is for a player you can have around for a while. When you trade for players like Kapanen, Marino, Pettersson, and McCann it is kind of like you drafted 4 1st round picks and had them instantly develop and become NHL ready. I am willing to give up assets for those types. You add the sure thing and still get the players best NHL years.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I'd love to see Brandon Sutter back with the Penguins
Nucks fan?

Coyotes will give you Brassard back for a 3rd
:laugh: Oh my goodness. Words cant really describe the delta of emotion with that first trade. I went from being so god damn pumped we just landed "big game Brass" in search of a third cup, to being mystified at how he had fallen off a cliff.

It was the biggest "name" addition since Rutherford traded for Phil Kessel, but it was so disappointing. Even if he wasnt a shadow of his former self, I dont think I could even try to relive the emotional let down.

Only if he comes with a Time Machine

Can we use it to go back to the first trade in 2012, and tell Ray Shero the galaxy brain to take Trouba or Filip Forsberg in the draft?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Nucks fan?

:laugh: Oh my goodness. Words cant really describe the delta of emotion with that first trade. I went from being so god damn pumped we just landed "big game Brass" in search of a third cup, to being mystified at how he had fallen off a cliff.

It was the biggest "name" addition since Rutherford traded for Phil Kessel, but it was so disappointing. Even if he wasnt a shadow of his former self, I dont think I could even try to relive the emotional let down.

Can we use it to go back to the first trade in 2012, and tell Ray Shero the galaxy brain to take Trouba or Filip Forsberg in the draft?

Honestly if I could go back in time I still don't change a thing. We won 2 Cups in 2016-17. Who knows what moves we make differently with having that much better player. For example if we had Forsberg we probably don't trade for Kessel who was a key part to those 2 Cups. Could Forsberg have done that? Maybe but we know we won 2 Cups with Kessel so I don't make any changes even the bad ones.

For example let's say this year we go on and win the Cup and McCann ends up being a nice help in the playoffs. You can go back to Brassard deal and say he was the main piece in getting McCann. Of course if Pens don't win another Cup you go back and change the hell out of 2018 decisions.:laugh:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Honestly if I could go back in time I still don't change a thing. We won 2 Cups in 2016-17. Who knows what moves we make differently with having that much better player. For example if we had Forsberg we probably don't trade for Kessel who was a key part to those 2 Cups. Could Forsberg have done that? Maybe but we know we won 2 Cups with Kessel so I don't make any changes even the bad ones.

For example let's say this year we go on and win the Cup and McCann ends up being a nice help in the playoffs. You can go back to Brassard deal and say he was the main piece in getting McCann. Of course if Pens don't win another Cup you go back and change the hell out of 2018 decisions.:laugh:
It's true, the butterfly effect from some earlier moves is one where you never know what might/might not happen. We were talking this morning on the Pens board about Barzal. Every time I see him rip through a whole team I think "that was our pick". Except that pick was traded for Perron, who was traded for Hagelin, who absolutely helped get us to those cups. Cups are the only thing, the most important thing, and getting two of them back to back made me so damn happy the Pens could've spent the next 10 years in the cellar and I still would've had a smile on my face.

And on top of that, there's the other factor: no guarantees the likes of Forsberg, Trouba (or anyone else you could've taken earlier) turn out to be the same high end players if they dont take the same development path. We've had "cant miss" guys in the past in the Pens org that did nothing at the top level, so nothing is guaranteed.

Even at the time, I did find myself tearing my hair out a bit going "Derek Who-liot?" during the 2012 draft. :laugh: But I'll take the busted prospect every day if Dumo still comes with it. And of course, that trade had its own Perron/Hagelin situation, when Sutter was eventually flipped for Bonino.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
What is the price?
I think for Copp, the Jet's would be looking for a very good RW prospect or either side D prospect, or a D better than DeMelo. What they really need is a 2D, but Copp wouldn't return that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad