Confirmed with Link: Penguins hire Sam Ventura as Director of Hockey Research

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Met Jesse Marshall and him at a conference at CMU. Really smart and nice guy. What a dream job.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Excellent. Obviously his work has shown fruit to the FO to get a full time position.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Welcome aboard.

To be perfectly honest, Botterill is a major loss IMHO. We need to bring in another couple of good guys to fill the gap. Analytics are becoming way to important. The further ahead we are, the better.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Welcome aboard.

To be perfectly honest, Botterill is a major loss IMHO. We need to bring in another couple of good guys to fill the gap. Analytics are becoming way to important. The further ahead we are, the better.

Karmanos is the analytics guy, not Botterill. Great news, analytics is the present, not future. Ventura in 2015 when first hired wanted to form an entire department of analytics. It begins.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This mother ****er right here, dropping a "Confirmed with Link" post in the midst of a pending hockey tsunami of player movement. :laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I always believed with some of the moves they've made since Sam was brought in as a consultant when JR/Karmanos got here that they were valuing his input. This just solidifies that for me.

When all is said and done with this era of the Pens and Sam isn't an employee anymore i'd love to hear all of his stories about working with Karmanos and JR and the things he'd pass on/discuss with them. It would be an awesome read.

Sorta like how that MTL stats guy got fired and told about some of the inner workings(disgruntled'ly) but in reverse since Sam and the Pens have had nothing but success since he's joined.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Love seeing the Pens making smart moves. Hopefully Sam getting a larger role will only promote us getting more Matt Cullen esque depth moves and less Tanner Glass types.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ytics-role-with-Penguins/stories/201706170093

a good article on the hire. some notable quotes:

“I think the biggest thing is just being around the organization every day, as opposed to just periodically, is going to allow me to have my finger on the pulse of everything that’s going on around the organization,” Ventura said. “It’s just going to allow me to do my job better. I think that’s probably the thing I’m most excited about, just being around and being able to be a little bit more hands-on in terms of what I’m able to do.”

But Ventura’s immediate future will be focused on the Penguins’ offseason. Player acquisition is part of his job description, and that became the front office’s number one concern as soon as the champagne dried from their Stanley Cup celebration.

Ventura’s shift to full-time also represents an increased commitment from the Penguins to the analytics side of the game, which has increased in scope and importance over the past few years.

Jason Karmanos, then vice president of hockey operations, played a large role in bringing Ventura aboard as a consultant in 2015. Karmanos was promoted to assistant general manager earlier this week, and will oversee Ventura’s department of hockey research.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
A analytics and stats guy hired full time. The geek squad on here must be rejoicing. :laugh:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
nice. it's really encouraging that they're fully committing to analytics by going from having a consultant to offering a full-time position with a department.

also, go tartans!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad