News Article: Penguins hire Rick Tocchet as assistant coach

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Ugh...good luck I guess :shakehead

He had been itching to get behind the bench and out of the TV studio for the past four years since leaving the Tampa Bay Lighting.

And on Wednesday afternoon, CSN television hockey analyst Rick Tocchet got his wish by accepting a job as Mike Johnston’s assistant with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The 50-year-old Tocchet, who won a Stanley Cup in 1992 as a Penguin, signed a three-year contract.

“It’s great to be back in the fire,” Tocchet told CSNPhilly.com.

...One of the things Tocchet mentioned in his news conference in Pittsburgh and again in this interview was changing the way guys play on the ice. He wants to make them focused on doing their job and not whining about missed calls or looking for retaliatory hits.

“When you are in the playoffs and get knocked down, you get back up,” Tocchet told reporters earlier. “If you have that attitude. I love that when Chicago’s [Jonathan] Toews got hit in the face, he didn’t look at the referee, he didn’t go down, he continued playing.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/penguins-hire-rick-tocchet-assistant-coach

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Yeah, this isn't a big deal in the slightest. I like(d) him but he's not that great at coaching. Good for him getting back into the league though.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
lol tocc has no idea how to handle superstars like crosby and malkin. I wonder how hes gonna get them to quit whining.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Wow those are sort of harsh comments by Toc about the Pens looking for calls and retaliating. Sort of hilarious actually

He is not going to last there if he tries to discipline those players. I mean, he is absolutely right...but Crosby runs that organization and Crosby doesnt like to be told what to do.

Last edited:

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I dont think he'll be fixing Crosby, Letang or Neals game anytime soon.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
He is not going to last there if he tries to discipline those players. I mean, he is absolutely right...but Crosby runs that organization and Crosby doesnt like to be told what to do.

Exactly. Crosby, is in essence, the coach and GM of that team. With Malkin probably the #2 man.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
lol tocc has no idea how to handle superstars like crosby and malkin. I wonder how hes gonna get them to quit whining.

He did coach Stamkos and you could even consider (to a lesser degree because of their age at the time) MSL and Vinny as superstars. None of them seem like the *****es, unlike Crosby, but that's a difference story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad