Proposal: Penguins-Hawks Defensemen Swap

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is a trade that would happen in about a month, once Murphy is back and healthy.

Penguins trade Olli Maatta
Hawks trade Connor Murphy

The Penguins are really deep on LD, but they are extremely shallow on RD, especially with Schultz out of the lineup. On the other side of the coin, the Hawks are really deep on RD, but they are extremely shallow on LD. It's basically a close to even player swap that helps balance out the RD/LD imbalance that both of these teams have. You can make more supporting points out of it, such as drawing parallels from Murphy to Daley with being poor fits in Chicago and pointing out how each of these players (Maatta being a 2-way defenseman and Murphy being a DFD) fit the needs of the other teams, but I feel like it's a pretty close deal 1 for 1.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
I’d pass as i’m no fan of olli. Both are injury question marks though both are likely #4s on a contender

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Maatta has already been a solid #3/4 for 2 Cup winning teams, while Murphy played #6 minutes for a non-playoff team last season.

Because Quenneville hated him. Same with Kempny.

Edit: nothing against maatta. I’m wary of the miles on his body in that same vein i’m also wary of murphy’s body we’ve seen what back injuries can do to a player. I’d rather stick with the devil you know.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No.

Murphy was our best D last season. Why would we trade him for Maatta? Maybe if Sprong was included.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
It will be good to see what murphy pans out to be with the Hawks now that temperamental Q is gone who puts any dman in his doghouse faster than the front office can drive them to the United center from the airport

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No.

Murphy was our best D last season. Why would we trade him for Maatta? Maybe if Sprong was included.

Yes, it makes sense that a team would have to add a top prospect on top of a defenseman in a swap for an equivalent defenseman. Makes perfect sense :laugh:

It will be good to see what murphy pans out to be with the Hawks now that temperamental Q is gone who puts any dman in his doghouse faster than the front office can drive them to the United center from the airport

This is fair, I was a little confused for why Murphy was playing borderline #5/6 minutes last season with having pretty good results overall. Either way, I still feel like this is a pretty fair deal and makes sense with who Chicago has on RD, especially with the emergence of Jokiharju as a legit top-4 defenseman already.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yes, it makes sense that a team would have to add a top prospect on top of a defenseman in a swap for an equivalent defenseman. Makes perfect sense :laugh:

This is fair, I was a little confused for why Murphy was playing borderline #5/6 minutes last season with having pretty good results overall. Either way, I still feel like this is a pretty fair deal and makes sense with who Chicago has on RD, especially with the emergence of Jokiharju as a legit top-4 defenseman already.
He was only putting up good numbers when against weaker competition on 3rd pairs.

When he played with Keith or tougher competitions he was not successful. The doghouse talk is nonsense, he struggled early there for 20 games to learn the system, but he was never representative of someone Q was down on after that. He was just a guy actually played to his strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Murphy can play the left side so this is a non issue from the hawks side. Plus I don’t like Maatta at all anyway.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Maatta might as well be David Clarkson on HFBoards. It's funny that a guy who has played some big minutes for some great teams in some big moments is completely terrible.

It's not hard to see that he's simply not a great fit in the Penguins system. Despite that, he's had some pretty good success. That says a lot about the guy.

Reactions: Badfish87

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Maatta might as well be David Clarkson on HFBoards. It's funny that a guy who has played some big minutes for some great teams in some big moments is completely terrible.

It's not hard to see that he's simply not a great fit in the Penguins system. Despite that, he's had some pretty good success. That says a lot about the guy.

Are we talking about maatta or Seabrook?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018

He might be a top prospect on the Pens but he's nowhere near that. Hes a B prospect. Hes got potential but doesn't have all that much value.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Maatta is pretty good, but it’s understandable that nobody wants him on here. We keep inserting him into every possible trade. Not the best look.

Reactions: Badfish87

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Equivalent lmao

in no world are these two equivalent...slap yourself in the face and walk away in shame...

Okay, what is this based on? Because me calling them equivalent is more me being generous towards Murphy than it is towards Maatta.

He might be a top prospect on the Pens but he's nowhere near that. Hes a B prospect. Hes got potential but doesn't have all that much value.

That wasn't really the point I was getting at. It was more so me questioning adding Sprong on top of Maatta when we're talking about Murphy. You can interpret Sprong's value however you want, but that isn't the point of what I was saying.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Okay, what is this based on? Because me calling them equivalent is more me being generous towards Murphy than it is towards Maatta.

That wasn't really the point I was getting at. It was more so me questioning adding Sprong on top of Maatta when we're talking about Murphy. You can interpret Sprong's value however you want, but that isn't the point of what I was saying.

Take Kevin’s evaluations with a grain of salt. Earlier this week he said Murphy is “100% better” than Keith, and wasn’t able to cite reasons for the claim beyond some out of context stats.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Like easily.

Maatta's production is better and faces tougher comp and was playing big mins to two Cups.

Maatta is clearly better. People just hate on him because he is slow.

Not one stat shows Murphy is better. Not one.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Like easily.

Maatta's production is better and faces tougher comp and was playing big mins to two Cups.

Maatta is clearly better. People just hate on him because he is slow.

Not one stat shows Murphy is better. Not one.

idk I could find a few on here Maatta is worse at in 5 seconds of actual research:eyeroll: Corsica | Skater Stats

Corsi rel

Corsi against

xGA,

list goes on.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
idk I could find a few on here Maatta is worse at in 5 seconds of actual research:eyeroll: Corsica | Skater Stats

Corsi rel

Corsi against

xGA,

list goes on.
From the start of last season to now, Maatta has almost double the primary points/60. (.62 to .32) And the possession gap isn’t too large. 51.57 xGF% for Murphy, 51 for Maatta. Rel does favor Murphy a lot more. Murphy plays slightly tougher mins. I do agree that Murphy is clearly better defensively, but Maatta has a large offensive gap as well. They are about even.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
From the start of last season to now, Maatta has almost double the primary points/60. (.62 to .32) And the possession gap isn’t too large. 51.57 xGF% for Murphy, 51 for Maatta. Rel does favor Murphy a lot more. Murphy plays slightly tougher mins. I do agree that Murphy is clearly better defensively, but Maatta has a large offensive gap as well. They are about even.

One plays for the best offense in the league one plays for one of the worst Maatta’s point totals says more about the team in front of him than his own individual skills offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad