Penguins have the best fans - Forbes

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Trust me, I'm not yelling and screaming during the entire game either, however there is a time and a place for everything. The atmosphere in Consol being as dry and uncaring as it was for the first couple of playoff games against Philly was just plain embarrassing. Nobody is saying you have to drink five beers and start cheering obnoxiously, but you're making it seem like you refuse to clap a single time when a "Let's go Pens" chant starts or something.

Maybe you don't have to blow the roof off of the building, but at the very least let somebody know you're in it.

I think people overstate the number of people going to games and making no noise at all. As I said though, I have never been in the lower bowl at all.

No offense, but you must not have been paying much attention. In either arena. I've been to enough games in Philly (against the Pens, obviously) to tell you that their fans are always loud and into the game. Sure they're a bunch of idiots rooting for a bunch of pansies, but at least they let those pansies know that they're rooting for them. Also, a lot of players and even coaches will tell you how intimidating it can be to play in a building like that and that can go a long way believe it or not.

Ask Claude Giroux how "intimidating" the crowds at Consol were in the playoffs last season. That little ***** would laugh in your face, and that needs to change.

No offense taken. You're just wrong, that's all. Maybe the games you were at were different; but the games I've been to at Consol were every bit as loud as the games I've been to in Philly. I have never been to a Pens game in Consol where the fans all around me weren't loud and into the game. It's never been crazy; but its been noisy. Actually, it was pretty freaking crazy when the game went to OT and when there were some big hits. I have been to a game in Philly where the Flyers fans were being noticeably out-yelled by the Penguins fans in the building.

Maybe the games I have been to are bad representations of the typical crowds. But don't tell me I'm wrong about my own experience.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate the bandwagon crap, you have a new generation of fans in every sport, it just so happened that when the Pens were finally starting to do better, with a new franchise player, a new outlook and lease on life for the entire franchise and then news of a brand new arena, playoffs, etc...the fans started to come back and then some.

People that call the Pens fan base bandwagon fans are usually just uneducated people with knowing how sports works. Every fan base has bandwagon fans, it's going to happen. I don't care about it, if they hop off, they hop off...all I care is that I have been a fan through thick and thin and there are hundreds (or more even) like me.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
In the end it's just sports. Not like we take a blood oath to be faithful to the team and dedicate as many hours when they are in last place as in first. People watch it as long as they enjoy it, pretty much. If people want to walk away and come back during the playoffs... so be it. As long as they don't run their mouth at the bar or whatever, it's extra revenue for the team.

Once the Fan-enforced probationary period is over (if this season comes back), those band-wagon fans are more than welcome to go buy some tickets and sit next to Ogre. ;) The rest of you die-hards must not buy tickets or merchandise until March at the earliest or you will be infracted for rewarding the NHL for their lockout.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
I'm hoping they knock the ticket prices down so that I can go to a game or two this year. Maybe I'll just go to Columbus... :P

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Once the Fan-enforced probationary period is over (if this season comes back), those band-wagon fans are more than welcome to go buy some tickets and sit next to Ogre. ;)
Fine with me. Since they care so little, at least they won't make much noise :laugh:

I'm hoping they knock the ticket prices down so that I can go to a game or two this year. Maybe I'll just go to Columbus... :P

I had tickets ordered for the game in Columbus that we miss already :cry:

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Console is a much bigger building, the sound does bounce as much and therefore its not as loud.

I do agree the crowds have changed. You can tell that just be the change in advertisers around the arena. Its a much more business-friendly crowd. Less college-friendly.

I don't know if that contributes to the noise as much as people think though. I think the building size matters more. Mellon was really really loud.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Amazing news. Especially since none of us knew anything about hockey before 2005.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I didn't really want to create a new thread about this and it seemed to fit this discussion so...

What do you guys think?
https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/411359500570853376
You know how half of the crowd at Consol leaves by the 10 minute mark of the third period? The players notice.

I can't really say. It wasn't for public consumption. But I don't think it impresses them.

You hit on the problem. Prices are out of hand, which leads to more people who could care less about the game being in the building.

ETA: Maybe I should have just started a new thread to cut out confusion. If, you guys think that would be better, go ahead and lock this down.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I didn't really want to create a new thread about this and it seemed to fit this discussion so...

What do you guys think?
https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/411359500570853376

I also find it a little irritating the way people leave early, but I seriously hate our media.

He makes a snide comment and then follows up with "I can't say, it wasn't for public consumption."

Then why even mention it? You threw it out there for public consumption now.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I also find it a little irritating the way people leave early, but I seriously hate our media.

He makes a snide comment and then follows up with "I can't say, it wasn't for public consumption."

Same here. That's partially why I didn't want to give it its own thread. It's really nothing more than hearsay but at the same time I'm sure the players have noticed and commented on it.

The players sometimes leave by the ten minute mark of the 3rd period, too.

The fans definitely notice.

:dunno:
:laugh:
Good point.

Lead by example? :D

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh as a city goes ape **** over winning teams. Doesn't matter the sport or team, we jump on that wagon and support winning. If the pirates win for a few more seasons, their fans will win best MLB fans even after how pathetic it was.

Also, people leave early cause they don't want to sit in that ****show of traffic outside. Can't fault them for not wanting to be herded by traffic cops while drunk people clog the road. I personally stay late to avoid it but I don't have to work in the morning usually.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

I always made fun of the habs and their fans because the media runs the show for them. I never really payed attention to the Pittsburgh media up until 2 years ago I'd say with now twitter and other sites made available for everyone and I agree I must say it's pretty bad. These guys need to worry about their jobs not telling management and others in the organization how to run the show

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have no problem saying Toronto being #1.

Id agree. I can remeber several bars that wouldnt even put sound on for Pens games back in the early 00's. People who never paid attenetion to the pens are all hardcore pens fans now... i mean I know several dozen guys that are serious hockey fans, but I wouldnt give that kind of awards to the fanbase just yet, particularly over the fanbases that have sold out longer or the ones that have gone ever so much longer without a cup or a true superstar

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I remember one kid in high school was saying how it doesn't matter if the Penguins move and that no one would care. Needless to say, he's one of THOSE fans now.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
This is the same thing for the Steelers, in my opinion. A lot of the fans IN the city and surrounding areas are bandwagon fans like they are for the Steelers and Pirates. Then there are the rest of us diehards who are part of every fanbase. But the trump card is our global fan base. They are everywhere and go to games. They follow the Pens even when games come on late as hell or early. That's why Pittsburgh, in general, has the greatest fans. When people leave this city, they take Pittsburgh with them. And when they have kids... they are raised to be Pittsburghers who moved away. It's truly remarkable.

A perfect example is my cousin. His parents grew up in Pittsburgh and they moved as a family when he was 7 or 8 years old. To this day (he's in his 30s), he is a diehard Pittsburgh fan. Even though the majority of his life as been in Michigan or Chicago, he's just a diehard Pittsburgh fan and it will never stop. Any time the Pens are in Chicago, he pays top dollar to see 'em.

Another example is when the Pens go to Columbus or even Game 7 of the Cup Finals. Our fans were there and made themselves be known. THOSE are the fans that earned us that top spot. The people in Pittsburgh (the bandwagon fans) just plain suck.

To support your point: I've never lived in Pennsylvania. Both of my Grandfathers worked the steel mills north of the city. Both of my parents were born and raised in Ellwood City. I am a lifelong, diehard Pittsburgh fan never having lived there. My 10 year old son, who has never lived anywhere but Raleigh, NC has several Steeler things on his Christmas list.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I am not sure that is entirely fair. Except for cities so large that you could get 20,000 people to pay to come see leaves blow across a parking lot, or a couple of cities in Canada both much larger than Pittsburgh and nuts about hockey, how many cities sell out when the team is sucking? I am not saying that Pens' fans are all that and a slice of bread, but just that the statement goes a bit far. A lot of teams with a much larger population than Pittsburgh, including some original teams, have had mediocre attendence during periods when their team was down.

As an aside, consider this my minor break from ennui. Honestly I have not thought overly much about hockey in a while, like the thread I started said, and have not even looked in for quite a while, but I wander back now and then, and when hockey starts up again I am sure I will make my way back as something interesting will be going on again with the sport.

Chicago and Pittsburgh were neck-and-neck in attendance during the dark years. Look at their market versus Pittsburgh. This is why branding Pittsburgh bandwagoners over Chicago is so unfair.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is the same thing for the Steelers, in my opinion. A lot of the fans IN the city and surrounding areas are bandwagon fans like they are for the Steelers and Pirates. Then there are the rest of us diehards who are part of every fanbase. But the trump card is our global fan base. They are everywhere and go to games. They follow the Pens even when games come on late as hell or early. That's why Pittsburgh, in general, has the greatest fans. When people leave this city, they take Pittsburgh with them. And when they have kids... they are raised to be Pittsburghers who moved away. It's truly remarkable.

A perfect example is my cousin.

...and fans from Chicago, displaced long ago by the tyranny of Bill Wirtz. ;)

But seriously, I don't know if in the 80s or 90s a lot of Pittsburghers moved to Chicago, or if it's just the fact both towns have a blue-collar attitude and fans were sick of Wirtz and his BS.... but anytime I've gone to a Pens game in Chicago in the last 15 years or so, there are yellow and black jerseys all over the place (long before Crosby and well after the glory years).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sometimes when I'm at Consol it's loud but sometimes when I am there it doesn't even get loud

This.

That said a regular season game against Buffalo where we are ahead 5-1 is not going to inspire me to scream my head off like a 3 year old who had her blankie taken from her.

If you have a problem with that, bite me.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm jut concerned about all this woohing I hear on the broadcasts now. I usually go to a few Pens games a year but haven't been to one this year or last. I don't even remember hearing dying cat screams in the arena or on TV. Now, it seems like every game. It's obnoxious enough on the TV. I can't imagine how annoying it is in person.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'm jut concerned about all this woohing I hear on the broadcasts now. I usually go to a few Pens games a year but haven't been to one this year or last. I don't even remember hearing dying cat screams in the arena or on TV. Now, it seems like every game. It's obnoxious enough on the TV. I can't imagine how annoying it is in person.

Dude we posted about the wooo at the exact same moment. I think that's empirical proof that wooo-ing sucks. It was sort of amusing the first couple games it happened (and how some fans got all bent out of shape) but at this point it's just being a d-bag and not much more.

Stop the Woo. â„¢

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad