News Article: Penguins' GM Jim Rutherford on Phil Kessel's so-called issues

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i really wonder if kessel really has issues with work ethic, training, commitment, etc. hes going from a dastardly place like toronto where everything is overblown to pittsburgh where the media sugarcoats everything.

hard to know what the truth is. does anyone recall if kessel had issues regarding work ethic prior to his draft year? i dont seem to remember that. i do remember his mother caused his draft stock to fall significantly but questions of work ethic pre-draft dont ring a bell.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
i really wonder if kessel really has issues with work ethic, training, commitment, etc. hes going from a dastardly place like toronto where everything is overblown to pittsburgh where the media sugarcoats everything.

hard to know what the truth is. does anyone recall if kessel had issues regarding work ethic prior to his draft year? i dont seem to remember that. i do remember his mother caused his draft stock to fall significantly but questions of work ethic pre-draft dont ring a bell.

Phil likes sugar coating on things......like hotdogs.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Off topic: What's the deal with that lead?

The soup, we assume, was not sour.

Is there a saying that I'm not getting? Or is this just sloppy writing in which the writer — without telling readers what Rutherford and Kessel had during that lunch -- makes the assumption or wants us to make the assumption that one of them ate soup?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

He would frequently be the last guy on the ice and the first guy off the ice, and word was he didn't spend as much time in the weight room as others. Personally I could care less about that as long as he worked his ass off when he was on the ice and there wasn't a condition/strength issue - which there's never been a hint of.

So while I don't think it's an issue per say... I can see how the Toronto media could make it one. Kessel was - for better or worse - a leader in Toronto, and him not being the first on and last off or putting in the extra time in the gym could easily be an issue there. But while those could have been issue there, for the same reasons I'm not worried about them being issues here. Our young players are going to be following Crosby and Malkin and Letang and MAF's lead. Some of the other guys as well, but those 4 (and primarily Crosby) will be the main focus. Both as examples for the young guys and the main focus of the media. Sure Kessel will get his share of the media attention, but it won't be nearly the same as what he faced in Toronto. All of that bodes well for Kessel. Both for how he'll be perceived (people won't care nearly as much about how he trains as long as he's in shape and effective) and for Kessel as he won't have to deal with the media ******** like he did last year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Kessel has no issues other than he's not the guy that can singlehandedly carry a team and lead in all areas like an Ovechkin, Toews or Crosby, despite what the Leafs, media and probably some of the fans expected. Which is a far cry from him being like a Yashin-esque cancer or anything.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think Kessel has no issues other than he's not the guy that can singlehandedly carry a team and lead in all areas like an Ovechkin, Toews or Crosby, despite what the Leafs, media and probably some of the fans expected. Which is a far cry from him being like a Yashin-esque cancer or anything.

Fine by me, still a game changer and one of the best goal scorers in the game. A guy this team desperatly needs. Don't need guys who can carry the team as we got Crosby and Malkin here and they can do that themselves.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

During last years training camp Damien Cox tweeted that Kessel was one of three fittest players during camp testing.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Maybe some attitude but every good player has a chip on their shoulder.

A lot of it was people calling him the American Crosby or as Mr Bugg put it... the Next Guy Lafluer. A lot of people went to tear Kessel down after stuff like that. Then people were talking about bust potential. Everything about Kessel was so polarizing... People just couldn't accept that he was a very good player and not some all time great.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Niether Towes, Crosby, nor Ovechkin ever singlehandedly carried anything... ovie never won, and the other two played with players on the team light years ahead of what Kessel has had

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Niether Towes, Crosby, nor Ovechkin ever singlehandedly carried anything... ovie never won, and the other two played with players on the team light years ahead of what Kessel has had
Basically what I'm saying is that Kessel is less an Ovechkin or Crosby and more a Pat Kane or Rick Nash, that's all. Which is exactly what we need, but not as much as what Toronto needed.

No Quarter*

Fine by me, still a game changer and one of the best goal scorers in the game. A guy this team desperatly needs. Don't need guys who can carry the team as we got Crosby and Malkin here and they can do that themselves.

Ditto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad