Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Ignoring the lol worthy comment at "hesitant to expose DeSmith"

What is LOL worthy of that comment? He almost took WBS to the Calder finals last season.

DeSmith was a very good to borderline great goalie @ UNH. He doesn't push his girlfriend around in a drunken rage and gets that 4th year in...who knows what was in store for him.

His biggest problem, such as it is, is that he's 6'0"...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What is LOL worthy of that comment? He almost took WBS to the Calder finals last season.

DeSmith was a very good to borderline great goalie @ UNH. He doesn't push his girlfriend around in a drunken rage and gets that 4th year in...who knows what was in store for him.

His biggest problem, such as it is, is that he's 6'0"...

And yet he's still a 25 year old AHL backup that isn't even under NHL contract. If he was worth anything, why haven't the Penguins signed him to a ELC yet?

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
Thanks captain hindsight, you're sure making a good first impression on this website :laugh:

It's not hindsight though. There's Pens fans everywhere that have wanted Letang or Fleury to go for years before the expansion. It only made sense with Letang getting older/play declining + the expansion draft coming and not wanting to lose Murray. It was an easy decision.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not hindsight though. There's Pens fans everywhere that have wanted Letang or Fleury to go for years before the expansion. It only made sense with Letang getting older/play declining + the expansion draft coming and not wanting to lose Murray. It was an easy decision.

Do you know what hindsight is? Because it is completely hindsight. The idea that Penguins fans everywhere have wanted Letang gone for years is just dumb too, you're just making stuff up. You're trying to tie everyone into wanting Fleury gone into everyone wanting Letang gone.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA

The guy was arguably in the top 3 players for Conn Smythe equation. That opinion is bunk. Captain Callahan with that veteran check from behind that rendered him unconscious was the only thing that slowed down his game slightly.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Probably Gustavsson, since DeSmith is a no name AHL backup.

DeSmith: Sav % .925 GAA 2.05 21 wins in 27 games.

That's not a "no-name" backup - in that league.

Wrong. In the eyes of the NHL expansion draft, AHL and ECHL only contracts do not count as pro years. That's why Sheary isn't eligible for the expansion draft. DeSmith also isn't under NHL contract right now, you're completely wrong with that.

Here's the link to The Rules ( https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592 )...where does it make that distinction? I am NOT saying that you are wrong. I just don't see anything that makes those years as a professional contingent upon having had an NHL contract.

IF the Pens trade MAF, which I believe they will, they are going to have to sign someone for the sole purpose of exposing him to the draft.

Sheary, again as I read those rules, because he is a RFA, IS eligible for the draft. He's going to have to a) have a qualifying offer made and then b) be protected.

Again, I could be wrong but that is what a plain text reading of the rules seems to be stating...to me anyway...

If you have contrary information I would love to see it. Thanks in advance.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
DeSmith: Sav % .925 GAA 2.05 21 wins in 27 games.

That's not a "no-name" backup - in that league.

Here's the link to The Rules ( https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592 )...where does it make that distinction? I am NOT saying that you are wrong. I just don't see anything that makes those years as a professional contingent upon having had an NHL contract.

IF the Pens trade MAF, which I believe they will, they are going to have to sign someone for the sole purpose of exposing him to the draft.

Sheary, again as I read those rules, because he is a RFA, IS eligible for the draft. He's going to have to a) have a qualifying offer made and then b) be protected.

Again, I could be wrong but that is what a plain text reading of the rules seems to be stating...to me anyway...

Sheary was on an AHL deal his first season. He won't have to be protected.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Which you're wrong in this case. This has been established on this forum for a while, Sheary isn't eligible for the expansion draft because only years under NHL contract count as pro years.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...pittsburgh-penguins-centers-marc-andre-fleury

Up front, as mentioned, Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are automatically protected. The Penguins catch a break because Conor Sheary is exempt from the expansion draft as a second-year pro. On the flip side, 22-year-old center Oskar Sundqvist, who has played well in the AHL, is actually eligible for the expansion draft (because he played pro hockey in Sweden in 2014-15), so the Penguins have to either protect him or expose him.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Which you're wrong in this case. This has been established on this forum for a while, Sheary isn't eligible for the expansion draft because only years under NHL contract count as pro years.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...pittsburgh-penguins-centers-marc-andre-fleury

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

Did you just ignore the link I posted or something? Sheary played for WBS in 2014-2015, signed with the Penguins after that season and is only a 2nd year pro this year. It's really not that hard to connect the dots. Pro years only count as years under NHL contract.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

A little research goes a long way.

Sheary was under an AHL only deal his first season.

Up front, as mentioned, Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are automatically protected. The Penguins catch a break because Conor Sheary is exempt from the expansion draft as a second-year pro. On the flip side, 22-year-old center Oskar Sundqvist, who has played well in the AHL, is actually eligible for the expansion draft (because he played pro hockey in Sweden in 2014-15), so the Penguins have to either protect him or expose him.

http://cdn.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/...pittsburgh-penguins-centers-marc-andre-fleury

Let's move along.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sheary is exempt. Oskar is not. Pens will protect Oskar make no mistake about that. they will also deal with MAF one way or another. preferably he waives his NMC/LTC clause and allows for him to move. Yohe from DK sports mentioned the Pens may go to a 6-4-1 protected list. First time I have heard that was a possibility.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

From your link:

Oskar Sundqvist, who has played well in the AHL, is actually eligible for the expansion draft (because he played pro hockey in Sweden in 2014-15), so the Penguins have to either protect him or expose him.

These rules were obviously drafted by the same guy who came up with the rules for what constitutes a legal catch in the NFL...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From your link:

Oskar Sundqvist, who has played well in the AHL, is actually eligible for the expansion draft (because he played pro hockey in Sweden in 2014-15), so the Penguins have to either protect him or expose him.

These rules were obviously drafted by the same guy who came up with the rules for what constitutes a legal catch in the NFL...

Oskar Sundqvist was under NHL contract in 2014-2015, which is why he's eligible for the expansion draft. He was playing in Sweden while getting paid by the Penguins, he was there on a loan. Again, you're just wrong here.

A) He was over 19

B) He played more than 10 games

A + B = 1 year pro...

It's hilarious for how wrong you are here, yet you're refusing to admit it. We have even provided sources proving you wrong and you're refusing to admit it.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Did you just ignore the link I posted or something? Sheary played for WBS in 2014-2015, signed with the Penguins after that season and is only a 2nd year pro this year. It's really not that hard to connect the dots. Pro years only count as years under NHL contract.

He'a also a RFA...

"Of note, Conor Sheary is a Restricted Free Agent next year. Vegas is allowed to draft RFA’s (but no one knows exactly how many they can draft total), so Sheary is eligible for the expansion draft. I don’t anticipate him staying that way and could see the Pens signing him to an affordable short-term deal before the expansion draft."

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com...hl-expansion-draft-who-penguins-will-protect/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He'a also a RFA...

"Of note, Conor Sheary is a Restricted Free Agent next year. Vegas is allowed to draft RFA’s (but no one knows exactly how many they can draft total), so Sheary is eligible for the expansion draft. I don’t anticipate him staying that way and could see the Pens signing him to an affordable short-term deal before the expansion draft."

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com...hl-expansion-draft-who-penguins-will-protect/

Yes, thepointofpittsburgh.com is a more reliable source than Pierre Lebrun. That same guy is saying the Penguins will protect Guentzel in the expansion draft, so he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

I’ll predict the seven protections are Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Guentzel, and Sheary.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sheary is exempt. Oskar is not. Pens will protect Oskar make no mistake about that. they will also deal with MAF one way or another. preferably he waives his NMC/LTC clause and allows for him to move. Yohe from DK sports mentioned the Pens may go to a 6-4-1 protected list. First time I have heard that was a possibility.

I haven't heard about that one.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait, 6-4-1 is an option? I'm pretty sure that's just a mistype my Yohe, there's no way that's an option when 4-4-1 is an option. If 6-4-1 is an option, that's pretty much a wet dream for the Penguins.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Oskar Sundqvist was under NHL contract in 2014-2015, which is why he's eligible for the expansion draft. He was playing in Sweden while getting paid by the Penguins, he was there on a loan. Again, you're just wrong here.

It's hilarious for how wrong you are here, yet you're refusing to admit it. We have even provided sources proving you wrong and you're refusing to admit it.

All I have is your word telling me that I am wrong when I have yet to claim that I am right...I have admitted that I DO NOT KNOW if I am right or wrong. I am seeking clarification. Linking me to articles isn't linking me to the rules...you clarified the Sundqvist situation which I thank you for.

I am asking you, again - nicely please - to offer up anything which verifies that a player HAD to be under an NHL contract to have it count as a pro. Nothing that I have read, except for your responses, makes that distinction.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Yes, thepointofpittsburgh.com is a more reliable source than Pierre Lebrun. That same guy is saying the Penguins will protect Guentzel in the expansion draft, so he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Okay...you're indicting the source and not the information...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad