Proposal: Penguins-Flames Minor Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Lafferty and a pick (thinking a 4th but I want to hear what others think)
Flames trade Kylington

Depth NHL forward for depth NHL D swap here. Kylington's a little younger than Lafferty with a higher upside, so that's where I think the pick would come in. Lafferty is still waiver exempt, so he wouldn't require waivers to be sent to the practice squad.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I mean the value is fair I think. I just don't want to trade Kylington. I think he has been handled very poorly by the Flames.

Reactions: Fig

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
I guess the swap is fine since we have O’Connor to be the 14/15 forward. I do like Lafferty though and think he can be good fourth liner for us.

Reactions: Hamurai

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The value probably isn't terrible but another depth RW doesn't do anything for us. I'd rather just hang on to Kylington and possibly package him up for something useful down the road

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The value probably isn't terrible but another depth RW doesn't do anything for us. I'd rather just hang on to Kylington and possibly package him up for something useful down the road

Lafferty's not just a RW, he plays all forward positions. I think he has mostly played LW this year, but has played all 3 positions in the NHL so far.

Lafferty's your standard versatile depth grinder type of player. We've seen glimpses that make you think he has a higher upside, but he's about to be 26 already. I think he'll probably top out as a Tanev style 4th line winger (super fast defensive grinder), but it's certainly possible that he can reach Tanev's level.

Eh I’m not adding a pick to wait two weeks for Kylington- but if it was straight up, I’m indifferent.

I think the pick is needed because Kylington is younger and has a higher upside than Lafferty.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I mean the value is fair I think. I just don't want to trade Kylington. I think he has been handled very poorly by the Flames.

How is that going to get better if he is just sitting....he'll be on waiver again and back to Europe if this continues

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lafferty's not just a RW, he plays all forward positions. I think he has mostly played LW this year, but has played all 3 positions in the NHL so far.

Lafferty's your standard versatile depth grinder type of player. We've seen glimpses that make you think he has a higher upside, but he's about to be 26 already. I think he'll probably top out as a Tanev style 4th line winger (super fast defensive grinder), but it's certainly possible that he can reach Tanev's level.

I think the pick is needed because Kylington is younger and has a higher upside than Lafferty.

How is he any difference than guys like Nordstrom or Simon who are already on the bench

I think they should trade Kylington if they are not using him. Lafferty just doesn't provide anything.

Reactions: Conbon

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

maybe a conditional pick on games played but I don’t see us giving up a 4th, a depth forward, waiting two weeks while possibly having POJ play well, and then risking Kylington on waivers?

Not a bad proposal, I just don’t know how realistic it is or how much it benefits the Pens given the extra quarantine period and the fact Lafferty is still a waiver exempt body.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
How is that going to get better if he is just sitting....he'll be on waiver again and back to Europe if this continues
I agree with you. It's a problem. Injuries happen though. I don't have an issue with the blueline we have now. Kylington isn't better than anyone who is currently playing. My issue with how last season was handled was we again brought in replacement level defenders to play instead of him. We shipped out picks to do it too. That was stupid. Treliving has sent out a ton of 3rd-4th round picks for these types over his tenure. Our scouts have been finding guys late too, so it makes it doubly hard to swallow. Then we give away Kulak/Kylington types who are just as good with potential upside for nothing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How is he any difference than guys like Nordstrom or Simon who are already on the bench

I think they should trade Kylington if they are not using him. Lafferty just doesn't provide anything.

Lafferty doesn't require waivers and can be put on the taxi squad.

Not only that, but the next forward up for the Flames appear to be Rinaldo and some guy named Buddy Robinson, who Lafferty is better than. This deal is a #7D for a #14F swap.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I agree with you. It's a problem. Injuries happen though. I don't have an issue with the blueline we have now. Kylington isn't better than anyone who is currently playing. My issue with how last season was handled was we again brought in replacement level defenders to play instead of him. We shipped out picks to do it too. That was stupid. Treliving has sent out a ton of 3rd-4th round picks for these types over his tenure. Our scouts have been finding guys late too, so it makes it doubly hard to swallow. Then we give away Kulak/Kylington types who are just as good with potential upside for nothing.

Yes, he is a tough spot now. He is not better than any of the top 6 and can't get better without playing. I just don't see his future with the team unless there is injury. He has skills but if he can't be competent defensively, he will not become anything.

Kulak was/is no more than a bottom 6/replacement level player. Not ideal but not a big loss.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lafferty doesn't require waivers and can be put on the taxi squad.

Not only that, but the next forward up for the Flames appear to be Rinaldo and some guy named Buddy Robinson, who Lafferty is better than. This deal is a #7D for a #14F swap.

Ok... it's a nothing for nothing deal then...some flames fans still have hope for Kylington though

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yes, he is a tough spot now. He is not better than any of the top 6 and can't get better without playing. I just don't see his future with the team unless there is injury. He has skills but if he can't be competent defensively, he will not become anything.

Kulak was/is no more than a bottom 6/replacement level player. Not ideal but not a big loss.

I agree, I don't see a future for Kylington unless there is an injury. I just think there is likely going to be an injury. We have Tanev and Valimaki. I'd be very surprised if neither player gets hurt at some point.

Kulak is a bottom pairing guy for sure, but so were all the other guys we acquired for picks. My point is Kulak isn't worse than Forbort, Fantenberg, Prout ect. I'd have him ahead of all of those guys.

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I agree, I don't see a future for Kylington unless there is an injury. I just think there is likely going to be an injury. We have Tanev and Valimaki. I'd be very surprised if neither player gets hurt at some point.

Kulak is a bottom pairing guy for sure, but so were all the other guys we acquired for picks. My point is Kulak isn't worse than Forbort, Fantenberg, Prout ect. I'd have him ahead of all of those guys.

Yeah we agreed, I rather keep him than trading for another replacement player with no future. He has some future albeit a very dim one.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I mean
I guess the swap is fine since we have O’Connor to be the 14/15 forward. I do like Lafferty though and think he can be good fourth liner for us.
based on what? Other than maybe his first 3 games and first 1 or 2 after his second call up (and he was only viewed as doing well during those mostly because it was extremely unexpected...he was still an MAYBE average NHL depth forward even when at his best in those games). His entire other body of work in the NHL has been well below league average and ineffective at the top end of his game to, "Jesus Christ, how did this guy fool his way onto a pro roster" at worst. And unfortunately, that lower end scale is what we're seeing show up far more consistently.
Yet our coach is an idiot who gives certain players a million chances at the expense of far better players who it seems like he actively goes out of his way to sabotage their single opportunity which he only begrudgingly gave. Sullivan lets his personal feelings dictate our line up a lot and even more so with ice time (see: season opener and the Pens leader in ice time for the entire forward group was Evan freaking Rodrigues...seriously!).

I really think that is the only reason he has gotten the opportunities that he does. He's talked about like other teams do about favorite prospects because by default, he's really the only forward in that tweener area that Pittsburgh has and again, I don't even see him as a tweener but more as a "tweener by Sully".

Reactions: Gurglesons

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

I completely disagree. He's nowhere close to Tanev level grinder as he doesn't look to hit or grind as his primary focus. Tanev knows what he is and how he can be the most affective then goes out there and does it on every shift. He might score a goal or create offense but that comes as a byproduct. When he steps over the board he is looking to wreak havoc.
Lafferty doesn't have that mentality at all. Yeah he'll play the body when the opportunity is there and he certainly isn't shy or afraid of contact but he still see's himself being a goal scorer and it shows.

But with all due respect that I have always had for you and your opinions (almost all of which I agree with) the biggest disagreement I have is that you added the word "defensive" in your description and I have no idea where the evidence of such exists to give you that idea. I mean I can honestly say that he is easily in the group of players with the worst defensive awareness I've ever seen. In fact, to say his defensive awareness is amongst the worst isn't exactly right as "worst" implies that his defensive awareness even exists at all....which in Lafferty's case, it absolutely doesn't.
The dude should have got the primary assist for an opposition goal in 2 of the last 3 games because literally, he made the plays which made both goals happen and he did so within 2 feet of his own teams net!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Aren’t you already satisfied with Jankowski!? For Kylington’s sake, I want him on another team.

overpay a little more and I might say yes. I already know that he would be a great add. Though, you already have a similar player in him with POJ.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Flames would be better off dressing one of their other forwards instead of Lafferty. He's nothing special.

As for the Pens, they have a player like Kylington in Riikola.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Unless Treliving is in a really generous mood I think you'd have to sweeten that pot significantly. Kylington is two years younger and has more career games played. We have a 9 million dollar 4th line at the moment, really no need for another depth forward for the taxi squad.

Have to believe that Kyller is our #7 at the moment and that he'll be getting into some games eventually. Otherwise it's Petrovic and Stone who don't have a future here and probably aren't long for the NHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad