Penguins fan coming in peace...

Kimmo Therapy*

I figured I'd hop in here to let you guys know how much your team improved today. I am one also to think that the contracts are horrid, but your team got a lot better.

Niskanen and Orpik added to your team's D core is a HUGE step up in what you've had previously.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I figured I'd hop in here to let you guys know how much your team improved today. I am one also to think that the contracts are horrid, but your team got a lot better.

Niskanen and Orpik added to your team's D core is a HUGE step up in what you've had previously.

Free agency=overpay. Caps D last year was so bad last year so yeah definitely helps. The third pairing was getting destroyed.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
The contracts now are a little shocking but once Laich and Green are gone it frees us up again to get another top 6 winger or 2C. I guess we have to wait and see what Trotz and Rierden can do with this group

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If Green is gone, the improvement is marginal. Niskanen is a downgrade on Green and Orpik is a wildcard at best at this point. If Green stays, then the forwards are pretty terrible.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm still confused on why everyone's freaking out over the Niskanen contract. I mean 7 years is a long time, but I thought he got paid (per year) a lot less then what he was going to make. I was thinking he'd get a 5 for 35 type contract, maybe 6 for 42.

Orpik deal is terrible but I don't see much wrong with the Niskanen contract short of not wanting anyone long term who's not an Top 10 type player.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm still confused on why everyone's freaking out over the Niskanen contract. I mean 7 years is a long time, but I thought he got paid (per year) a lot less then what he was going to make. I was thinking he'd get a 5 for 35 type contract, maybe 6 for 42.

Orpik deal is terrible but I don't see much wrong with the Niskanen contract short of not wanting anyone long term who's not an Top 10 type player.

Matt Niskanen is now the 4th highest paid Capital, and serves a completely redundant role with Carlson and Green already on the team.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Matt Niskanen is now the 4th highest paid Capital, and serves a completely redundant role with Carlson and Green already on the team.

Green seems on his way out, if not now next year. Carlson hasn't really shown to be "the guy" on a PP unit just yet so he's not actually his thing there. So if he can be a good PP player and solid 2RD, that's pretty good. He just looks worse because he'll forever be tied to Orpik.

I hate on Green pretty hard, I'm lukewarm towards Niskanen simply because he's not a terrible acquisition its just a lot to bet on a so far 1 year wonder but its not as if he's some super old 6-7 million per year scrub.

Halpysback*

He's a borderline #3 who isn't particularly good at anything who went through the Pens equivalent of Schultz's +52 who is now making top pairing money for 7 years. Watching the guy helps. He's simply not that good.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hate on Green pretty hard, I'm lukewarm towards Niskanen simply because he's not a terrible acquisition its just a lot to bet on a so far 1 year wonder but its not as if he's some super old 6-7 million per year scrub.

How anyone holds this position is beyond me. What does Niskanen do better than Green? We just paid him Green money for the next 7-years to be an inferior player.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
How anyone holds this position is beyond me. What does Niskanen do better than Green? We just paid him Green money for the next 7-years to be an inferior player.

That was meant to be Orpik. I hate on Orpik pretty hard. Niskanen is just kinda whatever to me. He's a top 4 guy, just the wrong side I'd want.

Green has been my favorite player for awhile, though its moved over to Carlson and Holts the last few years.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Pens fan here. Don't hate on me since I have family from Germantown that are Caps fans :)

Just a quick heads up on these guys. I'm sure you've read it all.

My assessment of these guys:

Niskanen: Solid #4, Great #5 with potential to be a solid #3. His game was much better after Reirden helped him get his game back, which was much ado with his confidence being shattered in Dallas more than anything. His stats were skewed last year because there was a period of about 2 months where the Pens lost their top 4 D to injuries and he/Maatta were the top pairing, playing 25+ min a night. During that time, Niskanen/Maatta was a beast pairing. His +- skyrocketed during this time and the Pens went on a nice run of wins with a bunch of AHLers in the lineup. Nisky looked great at that time. As the D became healthy and the season dragged on, Niskanen went back to being a solid #4 that started wearing down during the playoffs. He makes smart plays on the PP and could be counted on there but I'd take Mike Green 100/100 times over Nisky on the PP.

Nisky has shown a lot of potential. He plays solid both on the PK and PP. Trotz with Reirden might be the combination to get him to play like he did for those 2 months consistently throughout the year. Bylsma is a ****ing moron and there's a reason that several Dmen left the organization and made negative comments about him and his defensive strategies causing turnovers. Trotz + Reirden is a great combo for Nisky but I think those two could do wonders for Green too.

Orpik: #5 defenseman. Once a great #3 but his game has drastically declined over the past few years due to injuries. The groin injury killed him but even besides that, Orpik has picked up a habit of just staring at the play taking place in front of him and watching the action happen resulting in a goal. Doesn't tie up anyone in front of the net or try to move them away from screening the goalie. Likes to use his stick to cross check guys more than anything. Very good skater and decent first pass but the groin injury has hurt his acceleration and that's how he usually gets burned in the first 1-2 strides in the neutral/defensive zone. You probably saw this a lot when he was on Team USA this past go around. Had a terrible looking knee injury to end the year so not sure where things are at with him there.

The key to these signings is Trotz/Reirden. I think Niskanen will be solid for you but I'm not sure if he can recapture the magic he had for those 2 months and have it go all season consistently. If he does, you got a really good Dman.

Orpik, well...sorry guys :) If you signed him in 2009, it'd be understandable but he's been terribad the last few years.

The D you have looks good if you don't deal Green and if Trotz/Reirden get them all on track defensively.

Just stumped as to why the new GM would throw big $ at Orpik and then say something like Grabo wants too much $ for his blood. Grabo is a pretty damn good player and is someone I thought was a great fit for the team.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Pens fan here. Don't hate on me since I have family from Germantown that are Caps fans :)

Niskanen: Solid #4, Great #5 with potential to be a solid #3. His game was much better after Reirden helped him get his game back, which was much ado with his confidence being shattered in Dallas more than anything. His stats were skewed last year because there was a period of about 2 months where the Pens lost their top 4 D to injuries and he/Maatta were the top pairing, playing 25+ min a night. During that time, Niskanen/Maatta was a beast pairing. His +- skyrocketed during this time and the Pens went on a nice run of wins with a bunch of AHLers in the lineup. Nisky looked great at that time. As the D became healthy and the season dragged on, Niskanen went back to being a solid #4 that started wearing down during the playoffs. He makes smart plays on the PP and could be counted on there but I'd take Mike Green 100/100 times over Nisky on the PP.

Nisky has shown a lot of potential. He plays solid both on the PK and PP. Trotz with Reirden might be the combination to get him to play like he did for those 2 months consistently throughout the year. Bylsma is a ****ing moron and there's a reason that several Dmen left the organization and made negative comments about him and his defensive strategies causing turnovers. Trotz + Reirden is a great combo for Nisky but I think those two could do wonders for Green too.

Orpik: #5 defenseman. Once a great #3 but his game has drastically declined over the past few years due to injuries. The groin injury killed him but even besides that, Orpik has picked up a habit of just staring at the play taking place in front of him and watching the action happen resulting in a goal. Doesn't tie up anyone in front of the net or try to move them away from screening the goalie. Likes to use his stick to cross check guys more than anything. Very good skater and decent first pass but the groin injury has hurt his acceleration and that's how he usually gets burned in the first 1-2 strides in the neutral/defensive zone. You probably saw this a lot when he was on Team USA this past go around. Had a terrible looking knee injury to end the year so not sure where things are at with him there.

The key to these signings is Trotz/Reirden. I think Niskanen will be solid for you but I'm not sure if he can recapture the magic he had for those 2 months and have it go all season consistently. If he does, you got a really good Dman.

Orpik, well...sorry guys :) If you signed him in 2009, it'd be understandable but he's been terribad the last few years.

The D you have looks good if you don't deal Green and if Trotz/Reirden get them all on track defensively.

Just stumped as to why the new GM would throw big $ at Orpik and then say something like Grabo wants too much $ for his blood. Grabo is a pretty damn good player and is someone I thought was a great fit for the team.

Thing is if your eval is the word of god...the caps dcore is improved. Speaking for myself Niskanen is probably a 2nd pairing D and Orpik in the third pairing. IMHO I don't think the caps have any evals different in the big picture. And yet still. This still makes the caps better. Gotta make this bold move when AO is 28 even with a weak free agency. Otherwise AO should have been traded.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia

Carlson is not Matt Niskanen so stop right there. Green USED to be that guy but hasn't played anywhere close to the $6M/yr figure he is banking the past four years.

Comparison fail.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carlson is not Matt Niskanen so stop right there. Green USED to be that guy but hasn't played anywhere close to the $6M/yr figure he is banking the past four years.

Comparison fail.

I dind't compare him to either Carlson or Green, so reading comprehension fail on your part. He's redundant because his role is essentially the same as them, being a mobile RD with powerplay responsibilities. Green still executes that role better than Niskanen ever has, and Carlson brings much more of a defensive game (when he's playing well, anyway) than Niskanen. One of these $4M+ defenseman now isn't going to get the powerplay production that justifies their salaries.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Now look at least year's Cap's D and re-rank these guys. They're 2/3 IMO for us. In other words, big upgrades.

Look at Grabo's production the past 2 seasons, below par and injured. Should be easy to see why the Caps should be gunshy.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

Mstyle,

Quick observation... or maybe probing you (is it me, or does that sound icky? Oh well). Niskanen does play 2-way—maybe still a work in progress, but a huge improvement, and he's fairly consistent, in most of our opinions.

What's redundant?

IMHO, on the moves: I'm happy. It's a 180 from George's ideology. We've been on the organization to change their ways. Seems they have. Let's give em a chance, eh?

ryan519*

in other words quit ****in whining and be happy we improved our D

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
Let's get a little clarity in this thread for Penguins fans coming in peace.

If we are talking defense, do you want Mike Green?

Can you call in and try and get your new management team to offer a second round pick for him?

If so, you can have him. We sign two of your guys and you can have one of ours. It's perfect.

That would be really awesome for Caps fans who enjoy the thought of actually competing for a championship.

Thanks for considering!

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

Can you call in and try and get your new management team to offer a second round pick for him?

If so, you can have him.

That would be awesome for us.

Thanks!

I'd rather ship green to a bottom dweller or a team out west (or both)

No thanks to an interdivisional opponent.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I dind't compare him to either Carlson or Green, so reading comprehension fail on your part. He's redundant because his role is essentially the same as them, being a mobile RD with powerplay responsibilities. Green still executes that role better than Niskanen ever has, and Carlson brings much more of a defensive game (when he's playing well, anyway) than Niskanen. One of these $4M+ defenseman now isn't going to get the powerplay production that justifies their salaries.

Yup your right. I waiting to see how they manage the PP with green and niskanin. Now that we have these two off dmen, just let carlson focus on d at least.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
Now look at least year's Cap's D and re-rank these guys. They're 2/3 IMO for us. In other words, big upgrades.

I'd say they're definitely 3/4-5ish. Niskanen is more reliable for defence and durability than Green but a healthy Green is just a smidge better than Nisky overall, it's really close though. Carlson and Alzner are the 1/2.

If we're just talking rankings, I'd say:

1) Carlson
2) Alzner
3) Green
4) Niskanen
5) Orpik
6) Orlov

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd say they're definitely 3/4-5ish. Niskanen is more reliable for defence and durability than Green but a healthy Green is just a smidge better than Nisky overall, it's really close though. Carlson and Alzner are the 1/2.

1) Carlson
2) Alzner
3) Green
4) Niskanen
5) Orpik
6) Orlov

A healthy Green in top form hasn't been seen in years. You cannot count on that. Clearly the Caps don't with these additions. Alzner is debatable. I think you'll see Niskanen is the more talented 2-way guy not just a defensive D like Alzner.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

If so, you can have him. We sign two of your guys and you can have one of ours. It's perfect.

That would be really awesome for Caps fans who enjoy the thought of actually competing for a championship.

Thanks for considering!

no...but we could really use a rw. :)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

1) Carlson
2) Alzner
3) Green
4) Niskanen
5) Orpik
6) Orlov

Carlson
Alzner
Niskanen
Orlov
Green/Orpik

Kundratek, Schmidt or Wey come in when the first guy goes down. Hillen and Erskine sit in the press box or quit playing hockey all together. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00