News Article: Penguins Equipment Manager Surprises Young Girl With Leukemia With Stanley Cup

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Penguins Equipment Manager Surprises Young Girl With Leukemia With Stanley Cup

Sports often deliver moments that touch communities, families and individuals in unimaginable ways. Pittsburgh Penguins equipment manager Danny Kroll delivered one of those moments Saturday. Kroll spent his day with the Stanley Cup bringing joy to Pittsburgh morning show host Colin Dunlap and his 6-year-old daughter, Darran. Darran was diagnosed with leukemia in November and is a huge Penguins fan.

So, Kroll brought the Cup over to Dunlap’s house, and Darran’s reaction was amazing.

http://nesn.com/2017/06/penguins-eq...es-young-girl-with-leukemia-with-stanley-cup/

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
It's awesome how many stories like this we hear and never ceases to be awesome. Hockey players, more than any other sport IMO, are such great people as a group and do such an outstanding job of engaging with the community.

Every sport has it to some degree, but the way it is done with little to no self-promotion by NHL players and staff is the best.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not my story but caught this on my internet travels:

c0Bw8Hh.jpg

This picture was taken on Tuesday night at PNC Park. There is a story behind it: The guy on the right is my good friend Ron, the guy on the left is some hockey superstar named Sid, and the thing in the middle, for some reason is named after a Canadian. Ron and I have worked at PNC Park since it opened. Last night as the Penguins were leaving PNC, through Ron's area, Sidney Crosby spotted Ron in the corner of the lobby and walked over to Ron and said: "how about we take a picture of you and me and the Cup?" Sid then asked Ron if he wanted to hold it? Ron's reply was "I can't" (Ron only has use of his right hand on a limited basis). The reply back was "well then I'll hold it and you just smile"
Ron has been in that wheelchair since he was 9 years old, and if I ever have a chance to meet Sidney Crosby, I am going to thank him, for making my friend's day a very memorable one. Sid, you are "Most Triumphant"

Lord Stanley was a Brit, i believe but a great story nonetheless. :handclap:

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
It's awesome how many stories like this we hear and never ceases to be awesome. Hockey players, more than any other sport IMO, are such great people as a group and do such an outstanding job of engaging with the community.

Every sport has it to some degree, but the way it is done with little to no self-promotion by NHL players and staff is the best.

I can hold my head high and never feel dirty rooting for these guys. I can't say that about all the athletes in Pittsburgh, but I feel great that I never have to be ashamed the Pens are my team.

Way to go guys, you just keep making us proud.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
These stories are so special. My daughter has Leukemia. Every moment we are able to escape that is amazing. I am thrilled that this family had this time.

I was wondering what the players would do with the cup this year. I hope we see many more do things like this since it is a repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad