Pre-Game Talk: Penguins @ Canadiens, Wednesday at 8 p.m. (Series tied 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Maybe it's time to bring Fleury, Evans and Poehling in the lineup and get Mete, Weal and Weise out.

Tatar-Danault-Gally
Domi-Suzuki-Armia
Lehkonen-KK-Byron
Drouin-Poehling-Evans

Chiarot-weber
Kulak-Petry
Ouellet-Fleury

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why people think Poehling is an upgrade on Weal is puzzling me.

I want Weise and Ouellet out, Evans and Fluery/Juulsen (whichever seem more ready) in.
I think the Poehling over Weal thing is more they want to see a young guy who has the chance to improve over a guy who is what he is at this point when the difference between isnt all that big one way or the other

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I want Weise and Ouellet out, Evans and Fluery/Juulsen (whichever seem more ready) in.

It's less to do with Poehling being an upgrade on Weal. It's more about giving a young guy the opportunity to get some of that experience. Poehling won't do any worse than Weal, which is why I prefer giving that to the young guy.

I am also of the opinion that Poehling would bring more energy.

I'd take Hudon over Weal, too.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

It's to help Poehling develop and get a taste of playoffs. We know what we get from Weal (nothing). And we know this will not change.
Poehling, who knows... maybe he is like Rene Bourque - sleeps through the season and comes alive in the playoffs. It is hard to think how anyone can bring any less than Weal.

Reactions: habsfan891

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

My reasoning is because Julien wouldn't be putting Poehling out on the PP every time we have one like he's doing with Weal. Might be forced to make some changes that help the team.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Dumont: MTL@PIT: The third line shines (nhlcom/canadiens)
Through two games, the line has controlled 63 percent of the shots, as well as 100 percent of the high-danger chances. Now, we do have to be mindful of the small sample size. For example, saying they controlled 100 percent of the high-danger chances is much more meaningful after 10 or so games, but we can't ignore the results we've seen from the first two games in the series. After all, it's just a five-game series. We also have to be mindful of their usage.
The first thing that stands out is their aggressiveness on the forecheck. Whether it's a dump-in or a loose puck, all three of the forwards have alternated in the F1 and F2 roles (designated deep-zone forecheckers). The final key to their success is getting to the net for high-danger scoring chances,

Reactions: demetan33

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's less to do with Poehling being an upgrade on Weal. It's more about giving a young guy the opportunity to get some of that experience. Poehling won't do any worse than Weal, which is why I prefer giving that to the young guy.

I am also of the opinion that Poehling would bring more energy.

I'd take Hudon over Weal, too.
Poehling was most definitely worse than Weal all year. I'd rather just have him focus on training and mature by not pouting when he gets sent down. Evans is the guy that should play.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Poehling was most definitely worse than Weal all year. I'd rather just have him focus on training and mature by not pouting when he gets sent down. Evans is the guy that should play.

They both should play. Evans more than Poehling, for sure.

But Poehling was playing real good hockey when Laval was making that push for a playoff spot before it all stopped. He was 2nd line center every night behind Kotkaniemi and he was playing a much more complete game and was much more consistent.

Everyone is focused on his pouting when he was initially sent down. It took a bit of time, but he got focused and put in work.

Right now, watching Weal play, nothing tells me he belongs in the line-up.

I'm not saying Poehling will be better or worse. But I hope you're not looking at Weal and believe the Habs are better off with him in the line-up over Poehling.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-8-4_16-59-17.png

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

But Poehling was playing real good hockey when Laval was making that push for a playoff spot before it all stopped. He was 2nd line center every night behind Kotkaniemi and he was playing a much more complete game and was much more consistent.

Everyone is focused on his pouting when he was initially sent down. It took a bit of time, but he got focused and put in work.

Right now, watching Weal play, nothing tells me he belongs to stay in the line-up.

I hope you're not looking at Weal and say the Habs are better off with him in the line-up over Poehling.

This?

upload_2020-8-4_18-1-3.png

I don't see how this warrants anything no matter how well he was doing the small things.. that's horrendous output from a guy playing in the top 6.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This?

View attachment 357768

I don't see how this warrants anything no matter how well he was doing the small things.. that's horrendous output from a guy playing in the top 6.

You do know I'm not talking about Poehling in over Byron or Armia here, right? I'm talking about Weal. Poehling would get in on the 4th line wing over him. He'll add more energy. He's a better skater and can play with more pace.

And you know what? Okay, don't put Poehling in. How about Hudon in instead of Weal?

Put Evans in over Weise and Hudon over Weal.

Reactions: habsfan891

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Right now, watching Weal play, nothing tells me he belongs in the line-up.

I'm not saying Poehling will be better or worse. But I hope you're not looking at Weal and believe the Habs are better off with him in the line-up over Poehling.
That's not what I've read. I've read through many posters and numerous sources that it looks like he completely forgot how to play hockey this year and didn't do a damn thing except chase the play. I think it's fair to say that overall, it's been a disastrous year for him. I think it's best for him to focus on his own thing instead of playing on the 4th line. To me, Weal should be out and Evans comes in, and if we really want to remove Weise, I'd put Hudon back in over Poehling.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This?

View attachment 357768

Of course I can't comment on this too much since I haven't seen him play in Laval; however, posters have said that he's not doing anything right, plays like he has 0 IQ and has little to no effort.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You do know I'm not talking about Poehling in over Byron or Armia here, right? I'm talking about Weal. Poehling would get in on the 4th line wing over him. He'll add more energy. He's a better skater and can play with more pace.

And you know what? Okay, don't put Poehling in. How about Hudon in instead of Weal?

Put Evans in over Weise and Hudon over Weal.

I'm fine with anyone on the roster but Poehling. He literally has done nothing to deserve it and that's where I draw the line. I know we want to be excited about the guy but his year this year was bad and he didnt do anything in training camp to endear himself to the coach or media.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That's not what I've read. I've read through many posters and numerous sources that it looks like he completely forgot how to play hockey this year and didn't do a damn thing except chase the play. I think it's fair to say that overall, it's been a disastrous year for him. I think it's best for him to focus on his own thing instead of playing on the 4th line. To me, Weal should be out and Evans comes in, and if we really want to remove Weise, I'd put Hudon back in over Poehling.

I don't mind Hudon and Evans in. I replied to @WeThreeKings above and I said that if Poehling isn't to play, I am more than fine playing Hudon.

Poehling did not have a good first year in the pros. That is no secret. But when the Rocket started making a serious push for the playoffs and they won 7 of their last 8 games, Poehling was playing much better.

Reactions: DAChampion

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
here I am just hoping that we see some energy in the 3rd game (from either teams)...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
No changes to be made because there is no "dep"

WTF happened to Drouin? He flat out sux

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Domi-Suzuki-Tatar
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia
Poehling-Evans-Drouin

Status