Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Devils 5-1 | We Need More Bort License Plates

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
tumblr_lss0ykNJpy1r3lyreo1_400.jpg

Fordy

May 28, 2008
They had a few good shifts leading up to Kunitz's goal, but that was really the turning point. The first line especially came to life immediately afterwards and the whole team followed suit.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
My only minus goes to Dupuis...

On a 2-1 with Sid & Kunitz he literally dumped it in & started the cycle

Has the puck behind the net, Sid was wide open for a solid 10 seconds & Dupuis kept his back to him until it was too late.

When Sid's career is over they should just a hundred points to it as a handicap for playing with him.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
What an awesome "breakout" game for this Pens team for this season.

+ Crosby - Completely dominated the last 2 periods and showed how great he can be and how much he can change the dynamic of this team.
+ 5 v 5 D - Another outstanding game for the team D at 5 on 5 giving up 0 even strength goals for the 2nd straight game.
+ Team energy - Just felt like much more of the roster was really emotionally involved and the intensity level was much better
+ Young/new guys - Despres, Bortuzzo, and Boychuk all had very effective, efficient games in playing their roles, bringing energy and not making mistakes
+ 4th line - outstanding effort all game maintaining pressure, keeping offensive zone time and gaining momentum on each shift
+ MAF - not highly pressured but a solid controlled effort for 60 mins to bounce back from a sloppy start against NYI

- PP - only thing that can be complained about all game

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
+ Sid must have found the code for the god cheat again
+ Bortuzzo. Guy has size and knows how to use it. Nice shot to score his first goal, maybe he can actually shoot the puck?
+ Overall Defense: Everybody was playing very well today on 5 on 5.
+ Boychuck had a solid debut today, maybe he can help us on the top 6.

- PP is still awful and Letang is a huge part of it. Give Despres a try, maybe it will work.

Lovejoy should be done for the season as far as I'm concerned. Bort should be our 7th defenseman.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
Boychuk looked very good in his first game. You don't need to produce to show what you're capable of and this afternoon was a good example of that. I'd still bet against him being a long term solution, but you can't ask for much more than he showed in this game. Even better was he looked equally good with both Sid and Geno. I'd expect him to get ample time with both moving forward.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really hope Boychuk just gets better and better.
Solid showing by him today.
With him in the mix in the top six, you'll never see TK, Jeffrey and crew there and they'll be where they belong in the bottom 6.

Zach isn't a permanent solution but certainly could be a key pick up to round out the roster.

Good to see Kunitz actually play better today.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
++++ Full 60 minutes from all.
+ Welcome back to the REAL Sid.
+ Ditto to #14
+ Flower
+ Bortuzzo and Sutter's first goals as Pens
+ The moment you realize the Pens aren't "tuning out" Bylsma.

- Anyone dumb enough to think we still need to fire Bylsma/Shero or need to trade Flower/Kunitz.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
+ There is a huge difference between what Boychuk brought and what Tangradi + Jeffrey brought.

(I do think Tangradi can fit and add something to the 4th line in the future. He really looked great there against the Senators. But, it's time to send him back down to W/B-S)

+ Bortuzzo made some smart dump-ins.

+ Dumping the puck into the zone, just being hard to play against.

- Wish someone had retailed before Sid did. They took plenty of shots...

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
+ Sutter's first goal

+ Bort's first goal

+ Sid came alive - seemed like it happened right after he was hauled down by Elias

+ Sid standing up for Boychuk

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
+That was the Crosby we've been missing.
+I liked what I saw from Boychuk, has some good offensive instincts. We'll see how he does 5 games in though.
+Gap control from Martin, Orpik, and Despres
+To add to Despres, his board battle skills are fantastic. He needs to learn what to do with the puck in his own end a little better, but if he can improve on that, he's got some potential as a 2-way D. I like how he gets shots on net as well.
+Good for Bortuzzo on getting his first.

-Dupuis had a stinker.
-Letang on the powerplay

Can't give too many minuses for this game.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
+ Boychuk. Noticeable all game, slotted in seamlessly with both Malkin and Sid. Seemed to shade were Malkin tends to go which kinda jammed things up but can imagine more practices will alleviate that. I wouldn't mind...

Boychuk - Sid - Kunitz
DJ - Geno - Neal

+ Team defense. Made it very easy on Flower

+ Flower. Not too many random walk adventures behind the net. Just seemed to read everything better. Nice glove save on Clarkson at the end.

+ Sid. He's back baby.

+ Bort. MUCH better game than last time. Looked way more confident, plus a nice goal.

= Kunitz. Goal saves him from being a minus but wow did he kill some plays.

- Letang on PP. There needs to be a solution somewhere here.

Probably one of the more complete games of the year, rivaled with the season opener against Philly. If we play like this more often, this is a legit contending team.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Only able to watch the 3rd but it was a great period to see. Only thing that left something to be desired was the powerplay. Something is really wrong with it.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
everything changes when Sid gets back to life, all the x's and o's, adding good defense, waaaay better play by 7, and 44, and we are getting somewhere. Still the cluelessness of our PP is beyond belief, we don't have one player that can handle point...fix this and we are going distance...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I really like Boychuk's game. He actually has some ability with the puck and he seemed to be using his speed to get open pretty well. I noticed him making plays on both Sid *and* Geno's line. I hope Bylsma keeps giving him a chance because I'm confident he'll put a few points up if he gets some games.

Is he a long term solution? I doubt it. But he looks good so far.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
+ There is a huge difference between what Boychuk brought and what Tangradi + Jeffrey brought.

(I do think Tangradi can fit and add something to the 4th line in the future. He really looked great there against the Senators. But, it's time to send him back down to W/B-S)

+ Bortuzzo made some smart dump-ins.

+ Dumping the puck into the zone, just being hard to play against.

- Wish someone had retailed before Sid did. They took plenty of shots...

Tangradi would have to pass waivers and would probably get claimed, so WBS is out.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
everything changes when Sid gets back to life, all the x's and o's, adding good defense, waaaay better play by 7, and 44, and we are getting somewhere. Still the cluelessness of our PP is beyond belief, we don't have one player that can handle point...fix this and we are going distance...

I sorta wonder if we ought to trade for a powerplay quarterback. A legitimate one. If the rumors about Shero going hard after Keith Yandle in the off season were true, then I think Shero has a good feel for what we need. A PP qb defensemen could do wonders for our powerplay.

Skillzz

Registered Boozer
Jan 27, 2012
Omicron Persei 8
+ Sid. Just complete domination. He is flat out scary when he's on his game
+ Kunitz. Give the guy some credit. He made some mistakes (killing that rush w/ Geno and Neal comes to mind) but this was his best game of the season, by far. Hopefully this jump starts him and he gets back to form.
+ Bortuzzo. Nice knowing ya, Ben Lovejoy. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
+ Boychuk. Good first game.

Only real - is the PP. Letang just had some brutal passes and they just look really out of sync.

But, overall, a really solid game, probably their best of the year so far. NOW BRING ON THE POOPITALS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad