Post-Game Talk: Penguins are the Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Duper

Oct 2, 2014
Toronto
How does a team defeat a top tier contending team Colorado one night... then lose, and not just lose, get completely dismantled against Ottawa the next.

The answer to that will be the long standing detriment and also the impedance of this team having any solid foundation.
Looks like Colarado having some issues recently too. Down 3-0 currently to Buffalo.

But also, Pens have a tendency to make average goalies seem like vezina calibre, and, somehow, vice versa.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more than 2 goals through 8 games out of our bottom six.

The Penguins have 4 goals when Crosby and Malkin aren't on the ice at 5v5.

Even if you take out the one where it was Smith-Eller-Rust right after a PK, 3 goals in 8 games out of your bottom-6 is entirely reasonable production.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Two stats besides finishing I think tell the season so far:

The PP is 30th in the league. The way this roster is constructed, they need to at least be in the top 10.

Jarry has the 12th highest cap hit for goalies yet is 37th in save % (not getting into any fancier goalie stats). His save percentage needs to match his cap hit, and he needs to be in the top 10-15 goalies in the league.

Same issues as last season: if they had improved one or other then we’d have a positive record…tired of this shit

they need to play a much more defensive system since they can’t do anything about goaltending this season and do something, anything, about the PP

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hypothetically if Sully is fired, what options do the Pens have?

I don't think Vellucci would be an awful choice on an interim basis. Shitcan Reirden, of course. Vellucci has a fairly decorated past from juniors up through the AHL, actually.

If you wanted to tank just stick JD Forrest or Reirden in there.

Reactions: Gurglesons

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sure it does.

Everyone on this team regresses. We've seen it for years. Start hot... slide into mediocrity.

Looking forward to The Mayor™ developing this team's talent down the road!

I don’t disagree that Sullivan has a pattern of not getting the most out of players brought in here.

If Rakell continues like this and Sullivan doesn’t at least try something different, then that’s on the coach for sure. For now, I imagine he’s praying Rakell figures it out b/c the third line is at least looking like they can tilt the ice. As much as I like DOC and Zohorna, they ain’t on Rakell’s level as a finisher.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Super Duper

Oct 2, 2014
Toronto
A more defensive minded approach would be good, but its difficult when your top 2 dmen are offensive defenseman, and another dman who struggles to defend in any way.

Shea has been impressive for the most part, but Graves has been really hard to watch. Maybe time to bring up Fedun or Smith for a stint this year?

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

A more defensive minded approach would be good, but its difficult when your top 2 dmen are offensive defenseman, and another dman who struggles to defend in any way.

Shea has been impressive for the most part, but Graves has been really hard to watch. Maybe time to bring up Fedun or Smith for a stint this year?

Reactions: Super Duper

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don’t disagree that Sullivan has a pattern of not getting the most out of players brought in here.

If Rakell continues like this and Sullivan doesn’t at least try something different, then that’s on the coach for sure. For now, I imagine he’s praying Rakell figures it out b/c the third line is at least looking like they can tilt the ice. As much as I like DOC and Zohorna, they ain’t on Rakell’s level as a finisher.

I'm definitely not handwaving Raks' start away. He's been shockingly unproductive. I don't hate everything he's doing on that line and he's helping out in small ways. But this team already has problems putting the puck in the net and he was one of this team's best goal scorers last year.

He's the only top sixer that isn't cemented permanently to this roster via trade clauses. I'd be fine moving him along at some point this year for something that fits better. Honestly even if he picks things up a little. This team desperately needs to get bigger, better in front of the net, nastier or snipey-er up front. Even just ONE of those things. They have no specialization among their forwards. It's just a stew of jack-of-all-trades guys.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Rakell wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire when the Pens landed him. I think it's more likely that last season was a bit of an anomaly and he's just kinda a guy who doesn't suck at anything, but isn't all that great at anything either. He's smart, he doesn't hurt you when he's on the ice, but he's not exactly a production driver and doesn't bring a whole lotta anything away from the puck. /shrug

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'm definitely not handwaving Raks' start away. He's been shockingly unproductive. I don't hate everything he's doing on that line and he's helping out in small ways. But this team already has problems putting the puck in the net and he was one of this team's best goal scorers last year.

He's the only top sixer that isn't cemented permanently to this roster via trade clauses. I'd be fine moving him along at some point this year for something that fits better. Honestly even if he picks things up a little. This team desperately needs to get bigger, better in front of the net, nastier or snipey-er up front. Even just ONE of those things. They have no specialization among their forwards. It's just a stew of jack-of-all-trades guys.
Honestly Jake would be the first player id look to move. He still produces but ever since that shoulder injury he just hasnt been as dynamic and has been much more of a perimeter player. I also have absolutely zero interest in signing him to an extension. Swapping him for more of a "hard-nosed' player could have a Neal for Horny type impact imo.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Two stats besides finishing I think tell the season so far:

The PP is 30th in the league. The way this roster is constructed, they need to at least be in the top 10.

Jarry has the 12th highest cap hit for goalies yet is 37th in save % (not getting into any fancier goalie stats). His save percentage needs to match his cap hit, and he needs to be in the top 10-15 goalies in the league.

Same issues as last season: if they had improved one or other then we’d have a positive record…tired of this shit

they need to play a much more defensive system since they can’t do anything about goaltending this season and do something, anything, about the PP

Wow that PP stat... :laugh: WOW... you get those stars and you have got to be a min top 15. Like even Washington is typically a dynamic powerplay when you knew EXACTLY where Ovi would stand and he would still score.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly Jake would be the first player id look to move. He still produces but ever since that shoulder injury he just hasnt been as dynamic and has been much more of a perimeter player. I also have absolutely zero interest in signing him to an extension. Swapping him for more of a "hard-nosed' player could have a Neal for Horny type impact imo.

Agree. Plus I hate him on the powerplay and he's evidently a permanent, non-negotiable fixture there.

But that'll be a tough sell with the team as it stands IMO.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Agree. Plus I hate him on the powerplay and he's evidently a permanent, non-negotiable fixture there.

But that'll be a tough sell with the team as it stands IMO.
I think this is really the worst part. No matter how awful the line may be producing, Jake is pretty much guaranteed his spot on L1 and PP1. Having more flexibility in the top-6 would be a big help as well.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pens don’t have an option, if they want to try to turn this season around, but to defend and defend hard, and the system needs to be accommodated to play that way…they won’t win otherwise…it’s that simple with their goaltending and PP being crap…they should look at Boston and how they’re doing it

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think this is really the worst part. No matter how awful the line may be producing, Jake is pretty much guaranteed his spot on L1 and PP1. Having more flexibility in the top-6 would be a big help as well.

Theoretically one of Jake's biggest perks as a player on this team is that he's shown terrific ability with BOTH centers. But you know... we wouldn't want to take advantage of the things just sitting in front of us.

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
I'd move Jake first followed by Raks... but only after he was given a legit shot with Sid again.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Agreed. Kessel and PH didn’t exactly have great chemistry with 87/71, but they filled much needed roles here. This group better figure it the **** out with EK at least.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
From a process standpoint, I thought the 1st period was real encouraging.
- Mike Sullivan

Finishing chances is the most important part of the process, Mike. I'm sorry that it means nothing to you.

The team's 28th in GFAx. 31st last year.
Do something about it? Net-front drills in practice? Encouraging east-west and holding onto pucks? New PP schematic and personnel (28th in NHL)? Bring 2 new 4th liners?

It's crazy how he lets the same shit happen as last year without making any adjustments and saying the same crap, right after missing the playoffs.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
- Mike Sullivan

Finishing chances is the most important part of the process, Mike. I'm sorry that it means nothing to you.

The team's 28th in GFAx. 31st last year.
Do something about it? Net-front drills in practice? Encouraging east-west and holding onto pucks? New PP schematic and personnel (28th in NHL)? Bring 2 new 4th liners?

It's crazy how he lets the same shit happen as last year without making any adjustments and saying the same crap, right after missing the playoffs.

It's extremely bizarre to watch a team say "trust the process" when "the process" hasn't won them shit for a long, long time. It's not like this is a one season fluke thing where you can realistically tell yourself that they just didn't get the breaks. They have been also-rans for like six seasons, now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's extremely bizarre to watch a team say "trust the process" when "the process" hasn't won them shit for a long, long time. It's not like this is a one season fluke thing where you can realistically tell yourself that they just didn't get the breaks. They have been also-rans for like six seasons, now.

Is it extremely bizarre? Isn't it exactly what you'd expect from our staff?

They are so arrogant they think what they are doing will work. It's why we lost in the playoffs four years in the row without a prayer.

Also like. At best we get DOC or Z scratched for Hino next game right? More likely it is the same exact lines.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Is it extremely bizarre? Isn't it exactly what you'd expect from our staff?

They are so arrogant they think what they are doing will work. It's why we lost in the playoffs four years in the row without a prayer.

Well yeah but I guess what I mean is that it's CLEARLY bizarre to anyone with two eyes and a few braincells to rub together. Yet people still line up to go to bat and make excuses hand over fist for The Mayor™ like he's some kind of untouchable savant.

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
"The process" is the team feeding people PR bullshit mediaspeak while doing the equivalent of jiggling the mouse as their boss walks by so their monitor's screen saver isn't on. :laugh:

I've said it before, but if Karlsson hadn't landed gift-wrapped into this team's lap this past summer--holy f***, would this team be miserable. I mean, they're already pretty miserable, but yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad