Friedman: Penguins almost reacquired Carl Hagelin

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Why would you retain a few hundred k on a Ufa contract to a noncompetitive non cap team that's not hurting for money lol

Ask your mom if she'll buy you a Nintendo Switch for shovelling the walks once, there rookie. Ya she's not hurting for money, but she's not going to just toss away money when she doesn't have to. That's not how Mom's or NHL owners get to where they are financially, they're shrewd business people, not charities.

tldr: The nhl is a business

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
But.....why?

GettyImages-102418263.0.jpg

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
You would think that Rutherford and Blake would know that the trade wasn't permissible. Many us mere fans know that.
Why would Blake care, he may have known it and used it to see if he could squeeze out a better deal.

Rutherford on the other hand, well.....

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Between this attempted move, and trading Pearson to Vancouver I feel like the Pens want a do over on that one.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

This is actually a weird rule.

I know if team A traded player X to B , team A can’t reacquire him with retained salary. That’s giving team A benefit and circumvented np the cap. If team A retained I don’t see why they shouldn’t.

I know part of the concern is stashing a player on a different team in lieu of waiving him then reaquire at tdl.

I don’t recall the rules saying team can’t reaquire a traded player for one year no matter what. If that was n place then the trade being blocked made sense.

The rule show have been in place of trading a player, he’s bought out, then the club he was initially on resigns him. That was allowed with the Washington and Colorado trade of the Dman ( blanking right now)

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
The Pens never came close to reacquiring Haglin, because they literally could not.

The fact that they even thought it was a possibility, shows a complete lack of foresight that the league has not seen since Calgary sent an offersheet to O'Reilly.

Reactions: JackFr

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
If true, that's a pretty embarrassing mistake to make.
As somebody else already stated, a regular fan would have likely picked up on it. At the very least they'd remember Hagelin being with their team not too long ago which would cause a thought process like "hey, didn't Carl play for us not too long ago, let's check the rules on when we can technically reacquire him".

Yikes

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I also would find it hard to believe that GMJR would do that. However this is the same GM who traded for Brassard with Vegas agreeing to retain 2 million with out actually being in a trade with the Pens. thus the reworked deal with Reaves going to Vegas and the 2 million this year.

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
The Pens never came close to reacquiring Haglin, because they literally could not.

The fact that they even thought it was a possibility, shows a complete lack of foresight that the league has not seen since Calgary sent an offersheet to O'Reilly.
I agree with your sentiment. To play devils advocate I would have to assume they tried pertains to them seeing a potential interpretation of the rules (in other words investigating/assessing the legalities of the rules).

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
I agree with your sentiment. To play devils advocate I would have to assume they tried pertains to them seeing a potential interpretation of the rules (in other words investigating/assessing the legalities of the rules).

I would certainly hope so, but the way the quote reads to me is that they were well into the workings of a deal before this came into consideration. Rather than being proactive, it sounds as though Rutherford and Blake wasted each other's time on a deal that they both should have known was dead in the water.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the worse part is that JR retained $250k to make the Hagelin-Pearson swap cap neutral, which caused him to be unable to re-acquire Hagelin down the road. It's barely anything in terms of cap, but that's why they couldn't acquire him.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Ask your mom if she'll buy you a Nintendo Switch for shovelling the walks once, there rookie. Ya she's not hurting for money, but she's not going to just toss away money when she doesn't have to. That's not how Mom's or NHL owners get to where they are financially, they're shrewd business people, not charities.

tldr: The nhl is a business

Generally business people know how to do business. That didn't happen here. Also don't see how that example is relevant.

This whole thing is stupid. Trading Hagelin didn't make that much sense in the first place, especially considering they tried to get him back and ended up with Gudbranson. What a ****ing joke. If it were another team I would laugh. But this just makes me lose faith in the front office and think we lucked into two Cups.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Pretty obvious JR changes his mind all the damn time and doesn't really know what he's doing a lot of the time.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3