penguins "advanced stats" analysis?

hiddenvariable

Apr 8, 2008
pittsburgh, pa
good evening, hfboards penguins fans! does anyone know where one can find an analysis of the penguins and their games that relies on the more nerdy components available to us? i've read an occasional few for other teams that show up once in a while on twitter, and i've become more and more interested, especially as an advanced stats ("machine learning", we call it) nerd myself. and i know the numbers are out there, but i'm only just figuring them out and would like a more seasoned voice to guide me through them.

and so i wonder if there are places out there that will provide detailed, prosaic analyses of the many numbers now available to us, and give a presumably objective and numerical recount of how things actually go down.

that said, i would certainly not mind if this thread turned into such a forum!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I'll add one more.

http:\\stats.hockeyanalysis.com

What that site has that others don't is good, easy access to WOWYs (with or without player X).

In other words, if you'd like to see how Sidney Crosby does while Brain Dumoulin's on the ice with him or when Dominic Moore's on the ice against him, that site will sort that out for you.

But for game by game stuff, nothing beats extraskater.

hiddenvariable

Apr 8, 2008
pittsburgh, pa
so, these are helpful (i already knew about one of them, at least), but i'm looking for a more verbal analysis. like, an actual sportswriter (hopefully) looking at the stats and saying "so-and-so had a good game because...". i see that out there for a couple teams, and occasionally for hockey in general (i.e. a game or two per night), but nothing dedicated to the penguins.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
so, these are helpful (i already knew about one of them, at least), but i'm looking for a more verbal analysis. like, an actual sportswriter (hopefully) looking at the stats and saying "so-and-so had a good game because...". i see that out there for a couple teams, and occasionally for hockey in general (i.e. a game or two per night), but nothing dedicated to the penguins.

There was someone that did a blog that analysed each game in terms of positive and negative players and analysed each goal for who was responsible. Forget what it was called though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad