Penguins add GM duties for new AHL coach Mike Vellucci

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I like what I read about this guy. But it's a tough tell because we are not behind the scenes. To be 100% fair, Johnston had a concept/idea but obviously would not be able to connect with the group. So it's really always tough to tell.

As for head coaches in Pittsburgh. This is f***ing insane.
- Bob Johnson: Stanley Cup in year 1 of HC of the Pens.
- Bowman: Stanley Cup in year 1 of HC of the Pens.
- Dan Bylsma: Stanley Cup in year 1 of HC of the Pens (technically less than 6 months in)
- Sully: Back to back Cups in about 19 months of head coaching of the Pens.

The 5 Stanley Cups have less than 5 tenured years of head coaching. That has to be an insane f***ing stat.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There’s probably not a lot to do for that job right now anyway... all the minor league and two-way deals are done. All he’s gotta do now is coach and give the Pittsburgh FO periodic updates and recommendations on call-ups. Plus Karmanos is still an AGM too.

Is he keeping Forrest & Skalde as assistants? I think Forrest could be a good head coach in his own right some day.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hoping he will be a shot in the arm for the organization the same way Sullivan was.

Sounds like he wants to be a NHL head coach more than a GM...if WBS gets off to a good start and the NHL Pens don't, Sullivan better watch out.

I really wish Francis wasn't the GM of Seattle. I would really have liked to have brought him into the org. I do think there's a lot of good reasons to have faith in our FO's ability to produce quality executives, but I think we are getting into a crucial time with this org and I would like to have another solid, grounded vet up there to keep GMJR in check.

We have to start balancing fresh young talent with now acquisitions to help us squeeze the last bits out of the Sid-Geno era. We need to admit that we basically racked up the credit card bill for the last 14 years and now it's time to start paying it down.

Reactions: BHD

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There’s probably not a lot to do for that job right now anyway... all the minor league and two-way deals are done. All he’s gotta do now is coach and give the Pittsburgh FO periodic updates and recommendations on call-ups. Plus Karmanos is still an AGM too.

Is he keeping Forrest & Skalde as assistants? I think Forrest could be a good head coach in his own right some day.

To the best of my knowledge yes.

And agreed on it being a fairly quiet job for now. The big question is who's replacing Guerin's voice when Rutherford's talking about trade options - this move doesn't answer that.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
To the best of my knowledge yes.

And agreed on it being a fairly quiet job for now. The big question is who's replacing Guerin's voice when Rutherford's talking about trade options - this move doesn't answer that.

Certainly no shortage of voices still.
Allvin, Karmanos, Ventura, Velluci and Craig Patrick are all guys i can see him leaning on.
Probably some North American long tenured scouts in there as well who's voices/thoughts he values.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Certainly no shortage of voices still.
Allvin, Karmanos, Ventura, Velluci and Craig Patrick are all guys i can see him leaning on.
Probably some North American long tenured scouts in there as well who's voices/thoughts he values.

But you don't know which one's loudest. I don't know which one's loudest. We used to be pretty sure Guerin's voice was very loud due to his position and media interviews. That's gone.

And Allvin handles amateur stuff, Karmanos is mainly amateur facing, and Vellucci will probably be too busy to weigh in heavily on NHL targets. Might he start learning harder on some of the pro scouts? Sure, but which ones?

And, of course, there's no guarantee he actually listens to them. It's pretty likely he listened a lot to Guerin.

Someone getting promoted to AGM would answer some of those questions. But it hasn't happened. It's still an open question.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
But you don't know which one's loudest. I don't know which one's loudest. We used to be pretty sure Guerin's voice was very loud due to his position and media interviews. That's gone.

And Allvin handles amateur stuff, Karmanos is mainly amateur facing, and Vellucci will probably be too busy to weigh in heavily on NHL targets. Might he start learning harder on some of the pro scouts? Sure, but which ones?

And, of course, there's no guarantee he actually listens to them. It's pretty likely he listened a lot to Guerin.

Someone getting promoted to AGM would answer some of those questions. But it hasn't happened. It's still an open question.

When it comes to things like trades and signings, specifically, I would assume the people leaned on most right now would be Karmanos (he should have already been involved, since the Analytics department has been under him since he started), Ventura (as Directory of Hockey Research), Derek Clancey (as Director of Professional Scouting), and Mike Sullivan. Which is likely the same group as before, only minus Guerin.

Whose voice would now be loudest? I can't say, as I don't know the personalities involved. There may not be a loudest voice at the moment. Karmanos and Clancey have the titles that would seemingly grant them more authority on the matters, but there's a good chance that Sullivan's personality will hold the most sway in the short-term.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like what I read about this guy. But it's a tough tell because we are not behind the scenes. To be 100% fair, Johnston had a concept/idea but obviously would not be able to connect with the group. So it's really always tough to tell.

As for head coaches in Pittsburgh. This is ****ing insane.
- Bob Johnson: Stanley Cup in year 1 of HC of the Pens.
- Bowman: Stanley Cup in year 1 of HC of the Pens.
- Dan Bylsma: Stanley Cup in year 1 of HC of the Pens (technically less than 6 months in)
- Sully: Back to back Cups in about 19 months of head coaching of the Pens.

The 5 Stanley Cups have less than 5 tenured years of head coaching. That has to be an insane ****ing stat.
Let's just keep firing these mofos and keep winning cups.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like a pretty smart guy that doesn’t mind having a lot on his plate. I assume he was coach/GM in juniors as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad