Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Ty Smith and a 3rd round draft pick in 2023 for John Marino

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah so... again... where the Devils are and where the Penguins are in their respective arcs is not the same. The roster each team was working with and the pieces they felt needed addressed are not the same. What is Marino? A soft defensive defenseman with some ability in transition who probably needs the RIGHT partner to click. That's like... every damned guy on this blueline last year FFS. It was an easy call to move out some of that for some size (Petry and Rutta), better overall offense (Petry), the ability to anchor a pairing and a side of more experience for the post season.

The trades need to be looked at as a whole. This isn't hard. I'm glad Jersey got a little of what they needed, too! Sometimes it's neat when both teams can get what they want. Also what are we whining about? We got to see Marino and Math plenty in the post season. Last I checked that's where this team's priorities are and they came up very small, there. Ho hum.

Also also who cares about their ages? How much does that actually matter NOW?

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also trades take a while to pan out. Trading a petulant Kessel for a (finally) top 4 young blueliner in POJ worked out well now, but it did not look great the year it happened. Galchenyuk… let’s not talk about him.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
They absolutely did not lose the Matheson trade. Get out of here. They got the better player and one that they sorely needed. Injuries suck and are random, so I'm not going to hold it against Petry.

Even by your logic, the Pens "Lost" both trades and yet somehow came out being a better team. So two losses makes a win. Which is the end goal, a better team now.
2022 PENS Defense:

OUT:
Matheson
Marino

IN:
Petry
Rutta
Joseph (Matheson out created open spot)
Smith (AHL)

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Don’t forget:

IN:
Heinen and Kap at $4.5 mill
They don't play defense. Thought the discussion was how the defense was revamped. Heinen and Kapanen ($4.2 by the way) were on the team last season as well. If your going to flaunt your ignorance, perhaps it's best to just be quiet.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
There's a reason why you are a poster on HFBoards and not one of the 32 NHL GM's. You simply don't understand. It wasn't a move of Marino for Smith. This has been explained many times, but it doesn't seem to sink in. It was a move from having Marino, Matheson and Ruh playing full time to having Petry, POJ and Rutta. Smith is the sweetener that hopefully will pay off, but is not currently needed because of POJ's play. Bringing Smith up to sit is a waste for him and for the team. If a LD gets hurt longer term, Smith will be the guy, but he won't be playing RD and he won't be sitting in the luxury box.

I'm sure his phone will ringing any minute now from a team president offering him a GM job based on his insightful critique of Hextall.

Reactions: Pens x and RSPens

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I'm not going to try to talk down Marino because I've always been high on him, but he is what he is. New Jersey fans thinking he suddenly became this incredible player were just overreacting to a small sample size. He's a minute eating, puck moving DFD who's a black hole offensively. It's exactly what he was before this year and it's exactly what he has become after a hot start with the Devils.

He's a #3 defenseman that you need to pair with a good partner to mask his flaws. It's no different than someone like Matheson, who actually seems to be doing better in Montreal than Marino is doing in New Jersey.

In the end, the Penguins defense with Petry, Rutta and POJ is better than the Penguins defense last year with Marino, Matheson and Ruhwedel. I think you can judge the trades on their own however you want, but the Penguins ended up improving because of them and I'm optimistic it will continue that way as Smith gets his chance in the future.
Good post

They don't play defense. Thought the discussion was how the defense was revamped. Heinen and Kapanen ($4.2 by the way) were on the team last season as well. If your going to flaunt your ignorance, perhaps it's best to just be quiet.
Great post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad