Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Golden Knights 2 - Cough Drops and Hot Dogs for Everyone?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Did anybody miss Maatta tonight?

Schultz definitely made me think about it, that's for sure.

I think the problem is that a lot of people (especially me) have inaccurate views for what Johnson and Schultz are. Both are high risk OFD that struggle defensively, it's not a surprise that those two would struggle as a pair.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
EjFIuWP.png
kVKpjgU.gif
EjFIuWP.png

Bringing the smolder​

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Everyone bitched, panicked, and whined about the Pens losing one game. The caps looked like the best team in the world to start the season and are down 6-0 on a back to back.

Sound familiar? A tired Cup winner? It's okay to look around from time to time and realize it's not just the Pens that some of this stuff happens to. :)

edit: Shouldn't say everyone. There are a lot of great patient posters. Just not @KIRK :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like i've said all summer and all will repeat again: I am all for trying many different things. I wanted to see how it played out. I'd go with how it's playing out and what I see is...

Sheahan/Cully need to center their own line.
Brass can take shifts at center but can also look great at LW.
Sprong needs more minutes.
Geno line is hurting defensively.
Sid is a passenger, which normally means he's saving himself up for something beauuuutiful.

I'd try anything.

Nobody else has worked with Jake-Sid over time. Try Brass.

Geno was as dominant as he's ever been 200 feet with Hags-Horny. You don't screw with that for anything. Whatever you 'gain' for Phil putting Phil with Geno, you LOSE more with Geno.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Three added notes:

1. Major props to DeSmith. Huge game.

2. Anyone else notice how Brass and Sid INSTINCTIVELY were on the same page? They saw things similarly. Nobody else can stick on RW with Sid-Jake. Maybe give Brass a look?

3. HMK still sucks.
In that one pre-season game Brassard had a couple shifts with Geno and they were reading well of each other, too.

Brass is smart and seems that he can do well with both Sid and Geno.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Everyone *****ed, panicked, and whined about the Pens losing one game. The caps looked like the best team in the world to start the season and are down 6-0 on a back to back.

Sound familiar? A tired Cup winner? It's okay to look around from time to time and realize it's not just the Pens that some of this stuff happens to. :)

I can dig this whole 'Dr StrangeCole or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love No Defense' schtick you have going.

Not sure i like that 4th line.

I'm a little more concerned about Sid and Geno lines that work.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
#1 star for me is De Smith
#2 star is Kessel
#3 star is Riikola
#4 star is Malkin
#5 star is Jake

Heart attack kids with some elderly sprinkled in.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am suggesting that the Pens sure as **** consider it.

Sid doesn't like playing with Horny. He'd rather die than play with Phil. He's oil and water with Rust. Simon doesn't cut it. Sprong won't get an honest look.

I see no reason not to look outside the box.

I watched that Jake-Sid-Brass shift. That was a line working as something greater than the sum of its parts.

It's the same reason I keep pimping HGH.

Testify.

Sid and Brassard had a few shifts together last season and it was absolutely banging then too. DO EET.

Did anybody miss Maatta tonight?

*remembers the sight of Oleksiak skating around nowhere in particular in the neutral zone, looks at Johnson-Schultz's possession stats* Yup.

My lines for next game . . .

Jake-Sid-Brassard
HGH
Rust-Sheahan-Phil
Simon-Cullen-Sprong

Thoughts?

That line 4 is gross and would never be used. Demote Simon for Grant/ZAR/Bluegers however, and we have a party...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Everyone *****ed, panicked, and whined about the Pens losing one game. The caps looked like the best team in the world to start the season and are down 6-0 on a back to back.

edit: Shouldn't say everyone. There are a lot of great patient posters. Just not @KIRK :sarcasm:
Lol and they're tired from 1 deep run. Pens finally blew their reserves last season after going deep in the playoffs back 2 back years.

And people talking up the Caps like they're going to do it again, hahaha...

Reactions: ColePens

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Everyone discussed issues we've been facing for two seasons that don't seem to be improving and relying on your big guns (and goalie) to bail out a team that's wholly inept defensive night after night is not a recipe for success.

I went ahead and fixed that for you. :laugh:

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bench Oleksiak. Get Maatta in next game.

Get JJ away from Schultz.

Dumo-Letang
Rikkola - Schultz.
Maatta- JJ
How about we don't put Maatta back in or Oleksiak and play Ruhwedel instead.

I think Oleksiak hasn't been that bad, he's just so large on the ice its hard to miss anything he does.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The Pens doubled up goals on the powerhouse VGK missing players to injury and using their back-up goalie.

Clearly, all of the issues have been solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad