Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4 - Canadian 3 - Shoot Out Edition - Are you not entertained?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
The only reason he's even playing is because we're missing 2 top six wingers. You know that the second one of them returns, it'll be Puustinen out instead of Harkins.
Harkins time on ice this game: 4:24.
Puustinen time on ice this game: 15:36.

Harkins time on ice last game: 6:36.
Puustinen time on ice last game: 11:52.

I mean, if your scenario happens, then by all means be angry about it, but it's silly to invent a scenario just to be angry about something.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
A gutsy win while on the second half of a back-to-back against a rested opponent.
The Penguins are 2-0-0 so far this season in such situations.
Last season, we were 0-6-3, meaning we've gotten more points from rested opponents while tired so far this season than we did the entirety of last season.
the team is unquestionably better this year, but they're still not good enough.

I don't know what you can even change at this point. Like if you gave me a "free transaction that the salary cap ignores" i don't know what one piece would help. Obviously getting healthy would be nice, but they're still too wildly inconsistent everywhere except... 1C?

Reactions: Andy99

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
the team is unquestionably better this year, but they're still not good enough.

I don't know what you can even change at this point. Like if you gave me a "free transaction that the salary cap ignores" i don't know what one piece would help. Obviously getting healthy would be nice, but they're still too wildly inconsistent everywhere except... 1C?
If the Power Play can manage to not be so putrid, that alone will be a major help.
The past two games were a welcome change; hopefully it's at least somewhat permanent.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
One decent period and somehow got the two points. Feels nice. Crosby was awesome and the power play miracle continues, Nedeljkovic with his 2016 Murray impersonation in the second half of the game (though the posts helped too). And they scored on two shootouts attempts in a row? My jaw is still hanging open.

Feels like Karlsson has been told to look for a pass first when he is in our zone and his rashness leads to big blunders. Why can't he carry the puck more like he is used to and usually excels at? Whatever the reason is, we are sure not getting our money's worth with him right now. Malkin and DOC with really silly penalties late in the game.

At least we keep getting points and hanging on in games where we play like crap lately except for the Florida trip where we were outclassed but this could well be a double edged sword as it gives Sully more chances to keep his job.

P. S. Whose genius idea was it to organize a dads trip to Canada in December?!? I am surprised any dads even showed up. :)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If the Power Play can manage to not be so putrid, that alone will be a major help.
The past two games were a welcome change; hopefully it's at least somewhat permanent.
Obviously this year it's hit rock bottom, but the power play has been an issue for years now, i have no faith in them getting their heads out of their asses against good teams

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Man, Malkin is on a second line having to do everything on his line. One can understand the turnovers here and there since Rakell has been gone. Smith is much not that good and never really was. Even with the Golden knights he was on the 3rd line. We should have got Tarasenko when we had the chance. Who is young in the Ducks that is under performing?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
To be truthful, I thought they'd rally behind getting Karlsson a cup. This is not the case, maybe for the top line.

Man, Malkin is on a second line having to do everything on his line. One can understand the turnovers here and there since Rakell has been gone. Smith is much not that good and never really was. Even with the Golden knights he was on the 3rd line. We should have got Tarasenko when we had the chance. Who is young in the Ducks that is under performing?
Smith was top lines too. He was 3rd line for the cup run, but so was Stone.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Obviously this year it's hit rock bottom, but the power play has been an issue for years now, i have no faith in them getting their heads out of their asses against good teams
As a general rule, they've been playing well against everyone, it's just that the opponents' power play has been working and ours has not.
This is in contrast to prior years, where the power play has not been producing but there have been other problems as well.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Nice to see the power play get something.

+Ned played
+ Crosby 3 point Night
+ Puuts
+Harkin for playing under 5 minutes but getting a shoot out goal.
Sullivan is playing him but Sullivan does not want to. Lack of options.

- Malkin - that penalty in OT there was no reason for that Laziness. Big Malkin fan here but you can't do that.
- Sullivan for putting Malkin over the boards when they have the puck. In OT bring Malkin out when we have it. Thanks.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Harkins time on ice this game: 4:24.
Puustinen time on ice this game: 15:36.

Harkins time on ice last game: 6:36.
Puustinen time on ice last game: 11:52.

I mean, if your scenario happens, then by all means be angry about it, but it's silly to invent a scenario just to be angry about something.

Doesn't take much to "invent" that scenario -- or see it come true. Puustinen is surely pigeonholed by Sully as a top-6-or-nothing player. When there are no vacancies left in the top 6, or when Puustinen has one bad game or maybe 2, the experiment is over if it doesn't end even sooner.

He is supposedly not suitable for the bottom 6, is supposedly not a PK-er, and then there's the old "he'd be better off playing in WBS than sitting in Pittsburgh" excuse (when he really should be PLAYING in Pittsburgh, not sitting).

If he is demoted when Rakell returns (IF???) then it won't take long for Puusy to look just as meh and unproductive as Harkins, Nieto or whoever at 6 minutes a night with inferior linemates.

We've been told in the past that all Puustinen does is score, and when he's not scoring then he's not doing anything helpful, kind of like Daniel Sprong. Puusy's games so far this season put the lie to that, as he has been very active defensively and helpful on the power play even if he doesn't get credit for that goal yesterday.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
One decent period and somehow got the two points. Feels nice. Crosby was awesome and the power play miracle continues, Nedeljkovic with his 2016 Murray impersonation in the second half of the game (though the posts helped too). And they scored on two shootouts attempts in a row? My jaw is still hanging open.

Feels like Karlsson has been told to look for a pass first when he is in our zone and his rashness leads to big blunders. Why can't he carry the puck more like he is used to and usually excels at? Whatever the reason is, we are sure not getting our money's worth with him right now. Malkin and DOC with really silly penalties late in the game.

At least we keep getting points and hanging on in games where we play like crap lately except for the Florida trip where we were outclassed but this could well be a double edged sword as it gives Sully more chances to keep his job.

P. S. Whose genius idea was it to organize a dads trip to Canada in December?!? I am surprised any dads even showed up. :)
i thought we established last year that the dad’s trip is supposed to be during the trade deadline

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Key takeaways:

Harkins still sucks at regular hockey and I want him scratched
DOC is fine on L1, but he's atrocious at the PK
Puusy should continue to get regular minutes, even when Rak/Rust return
I'm turning into a Hino Fanboi. Just love his game

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

After the first few games I thought Smith and Malkin were gonna kill it the entire season.
But man these 2 just seem like oil and water. Kinda like the 2nd season of HBK, it just doesn't have the same magic.

Smith should be tried with Sid, but then who does Malkin get now? DOC and Puus? Yikes...

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Imagine that, scoring on the Powerplay helps you win games.
And OT/SO helps you get 2 points instead of 1.

And considering how tight the divisions are, and how the Pens missed the playoffs by 2 points last year while losing 11 games in OT ... Maybe Sullivan should finally invest some time during practice that category.

Just winning 2 of those 11 gets them in.

I'm not saying bring back mustache boy.... But bring back mustache boy. Mustache boy gets them into the playoffs last year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

They probably realized that’s better than a Dads trip at the TDL like last season lol, given that we stink and players are likely to be traded…

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
What is even Malkin hockey at this point though. He is playing it now, this is closer to his typical game. Just be happy when he doesn´t cause a direct goal against. He didn´t, tonight, Ned killed that PP in OT. Malkin and EK are very similar with these lapses. Some neutral zone turnovers by Malkin, I can live with them. He can be much worse. IMO, his last few games, he´s been a slightly better version of himself. Also, Malkin is paid 6M and EK is paid 10M.
EK overall, had been far better than Malkin on the year. A few rough game lately, no biggie.

Malkin looks washed

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
My takes from being at the game

Overall considering we were in a b2b and all, what happened in the 1st period I expected more of in the 2nd and 3rd. Glad they came out and played hard.

Crosby is just at another level despite his age
Malkin played a lot less engaged and still take that dumb penalty at bad times during the game
Jake is Jake, smart hard worker and rarely puts us in a bad spot, same thing for Smith
Karlsson is real fun to watch out there, definitely a notch above Kris IMO
Puustinen is an NHLer, It's that simple, maybe not for shootouts but ....
Carter needs to f***ing get lost ASAP, more interested in the women in the stands ..
Neds was shaky in the 1st, terrible rebound control but completely handled himself great the rest of the way having control after that.

Great night overall, kid had a blast as he saw Sid scored a couple + the SO

Keep it rolling into Toronto boys!!!!

Reactions: ChaosAgent

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

If you think this is rock bottom, you are going to be sad as each year is significantly worse as our core falls off the cliff in production. We certainly aren't in the "OMG how much higher does this go?" part of the roller coaster and are well into the "Wheeeeeee" phase.

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, EK, Jake, Rust, etc will all most likely be worse players next year.

war-basic-chart.png

ppo-war-graph.png

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Listen I am glad they won the game, but…..

I would have f***ing throughly enjoyed to see Harkins miss it to watch the lineup coming behind him.

It would have been amazing.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad