Prospect Info: Penguins #3 prospect - RUNOFF

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Are people more manly than Sweden than in the Czech republic in some way? Simon has even played more games in the Czech Elite League than Oskar has in the Swedish Elite League. Simon also participated in the WC last year which is quite high competition, and did very well.

I guess I value the Swedish league more.

But I see where you are coming from. I dropped the ball there. I still stand by Sundqvist making it as a regular, or has the better chance then Simon's better upside coming to light.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
It's really a toss-up between these two. I had a hard time deciding. Sundqvist has a lower ceiling but seems more suited to a bottom 6 role. He also brings some needed size and grit. Simon obviously has more talent but is way smaller and softer. If he can't make the top 6 he might not be able to effectively play on a checking line, or might not even want to. Sundqvist I'm sure knows his future role and is already working towards being good at everything that contains. So I picked him by a hair but Simon may well prove me wrong a year from now.

I wouldn't be voting for him either until #6 maybe. I feel that Bjorkqvist would have more success in our org. He was compared to Komarov, will be coming to NA one year earlier than Sundqvist did, and he actually has a chance of being a second liner on our team I guess, instead of being stuck behind Crosby and Malkin like Sundqvist is.

On the other hand Björgkvist hasn't played a single pro game yet - and won't for a few more years at Providence. That's 3-4 years of <40 games college seasons, wearing helmet cages and not being allowed to fight. Sundqvist played over two seasons for the (at the time) best team in the SEL, plus games in the European Champions League, before moving to WBS.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I picked Sundqvist. I believe that he can be a good 3C someday and offers the potential to be a great 2-way player and PK'r. He already looked like a natural NHL player in his limited time so far.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
On the other hand Björgkvist hasn't played a single pro game yet - and won't for a few more years at Providence. That's 3-4 years of <40 games college seasons, wearing helmet cages and not being allowed to fight. Sundqvist played over two seasons for the (at the time) best team in the SEL, plus games in the European Champions League, before moving to WBS.

Nothing says that Bjorkqvist has to be in college for 3-4 years.

If this is true, Bjorkqvist will either turn pro a year younger than Sundqvist was when he did, or he will turn pro at a similar age as Sundqvist. And he will have plenty of North American experience before, which Sundqvist didn't have.

Also, fighting is a complete non-factor. They don't fight in the SHL either. And I wouldn't see wearing helmet cages as a negative factor at all. What's wrong with reducing injury risk?

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
went with Simon but could I could've gone either way. It's the classic case of upside vs. likelihood to reach their potential.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't see Simon as a top six or bust type player.

He back checks conscientiously and he makes good reads in his own zone, I don't see why a smart player like him can't continue to grow defensively.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

He back checks conscientiously and he makes good reads in his own zone, I don't see why a smart player like him can't continue to grow defensively.

People just need to look at Kuhnhackl as a perfect example. Drafted in junior as a top six-or-bust type goal scorer, developed into a reliable player who can play as a bottom six NHLer.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

People just need to look at Kuhnhackl as a perfect example. Drafted in junior as a top six-or-bust type goal scorer, developed into a reliable player who can play as a bottom six NHLer.

Yep. I don't get this top six or bust talk about Simon.

People obviously who haven't watched him play and simply looking at heights and weights I guess.

Derp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad