Prospect Info: Penguins #3 prospect - RUNOFF

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
As the race between Simon and Sundqvist was 51-50 with 25 for 'other' we're having a 24 hour run-off. Winner takes 3rd place, loser grabs #4.

Going to add Dea and Percy to the next full poll unless someone else gets more than two mentions til tomorrow.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Shootouts are killing the integrity of the prospect poll.

Sundqvist. Simply because he's already NHL-ready, and even if he "busts" he'll still be a solid 4th liner. Simon's got a more boom or bust feel to him.

Last edited:

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Its close, but Simple Simon translated his skill game to North America pretty quickly and that's more impressive than what Sundqvist has done thus far.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This idea that low upside = sure thing is crazy. Simon.

I don't think that's the reasoning. Sundqvist already looked like an NHL player and his floor is a lot higher than Simon, who's essentially top 6 or bust.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I don't think that's the reasoning. Sundqvist already looked like an NHL player and his floor is a lot higher than Simon, who's essentially top 6 or bust.

I have to disagree here. The skill level in the NHL keeps increasing. There's plenty of skilled players playing on third lines already on some teams. He can be a third liner, depending on his teams philosophy.

Besides, I thought Simon looked really good when he was up here. The reason why Sundqvist got to play more was because the injuries on our centers lasted longer IMO.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have to disagree here. The skill level in the NHL keeps increasing. There's plenty of skilled players playing on third lines already on some teams. He can be a third liner, depending on his teams philosophy.

Yeah, I agree with that. You need your 3rd line to score. Hell, that's why Tyler Kennedy ever had a spot here, so it's not even something all that new. But I don't think he's wrong in thinking that Simon will have to fill a different role. To put it another way, Simon will need to be good enough to score on a regular basis at an NHL level. Sundqvist is more likely to stick in a lower scoring role.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Besides, I thought Simon looked really good when he was up here. The reason why Sundqvist got to play more was because the injuries on our centers lasted longer IMO.

Yeah, that's basically what I was going to say, as well. I've never heard of Simon being referred to as irresponsible, or anything. And like you pointed out... the league seems to be trending more towards scoring players throughout the top nine instead of just six.

I like Sundqvist but I suspect that he's pretty limited as an NHLer. Useful but limited. I'm going with Simon here largely because of that. I also don't know how much more NHL-ready Sundqvist really is compared to Simon. Frankly I won't be voting for Sundqvist for another couple of picks.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, that's basically what I was going to say, as well. I've never heard of Simon being referred to as irresponsible, or anything. And like you pointed out... the league seems to be trending more towards scoring players throughout the top nine instead of just six.

I like Sundqvist but I suspect that he's pretty limited as an NHLer. Useful but limited. I'm going with Simon here largely because of that. I also don't know how much more NHL-ready Sundqvist really is compared to Simon. Frankly I won't be voting for Sundqvist for another couple of picks.

He has looked solid any time he's been up. I'd like to see his offense get a tad better though. But if Cullen doesn't sign, I am perfectly fine going into the season with Sundqvist as our 4C. I can't say the same for giving Simon a spot. Though part of that is that I have just seen him less, and part is that he'd likely be filling a bigger role that is harder to fill mid-season. Its entirely possible that Simon comes into camp looking like the more ready of the two.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I wouldn't be voting for him either until #6 maybe. I feel that Bjorkqvist would have more success in our org. He was compared to Komarov, will be coming to NA one year earlier than Sundqvist did, and he actually has a chance of being a second liner on our team I guess, instead of being stuck behind Crosby and Malkin like Sundqvist is. And since we drafted Gustavsson over Bjorkqvist just a month ago, I'd rank Gustavsson over both of them.

I may be optimistic, but I don't believe our prospect pool is as bad as some make it out to be.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He has looked solid any time he's been up. I'd like to see his offense get a tad better though. But if Cullen doesn't sign, I am perfectly fine going into the season with Sundqvist as our 4C. I can't say the same for giving Simon a spot. Though part of that is that I have just seen him less, and part is that he'd likely be filling a bigger role that is harder to fill mid-season. Its entirely possible that Simon comes into camp looking like the more ready of the two.

I don't necessarily disagree with that but my rationale for not being comfortable with Simon as 4LC has less to do with whether or not he could do it and more to do with stunting his development. Particular on offense. Frankly I feel largely the same about Sundqvist. I'm not nearly as bullish on his potential offensive headroom as I was when he was drafted but he's still quite young and might be better suited playing bigger, more important minutes in the A instead of the ~6 minutes or whatever the coach would trust him with on the fourth line. But I guess you have to start somewhere and the team might well need him to do it, regardless. And Sundqvist's size and more-than-occasional nastiness really helps his case as a "right-now" depth player.

I think Simon's game looked fairly mature for his age in his brief stint up. Likely a product of where he came from as opposed to junior/college players. Of course, I suppose Sundqvist could say the same.

I may be optimistic, but I don't believe our prospect pool is as bad as some make it out to be.

I don't think so, either.

It might be some recency-bias speaking but I think that the last couple of drafts have gone a long way toward complimenting and rounding out some of the good stuff Shero did leave the team with.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't necessarily disagree with that but my rationale for not being comfortable with Simon as 4LC has less to do with whether or not he could do it and more to do with stunting his development. Particular on offense. Frankly I feel largely the same about Sundqvist. I'm not nearly as bullish on his potential offensive headroom as I was when he was drafted but he's still quite young and might be better suited playing bigger, more important minutes in the A instead of the ~6 minutes or whatever the coach would trust him with on the fourth line. But I guess you have to start somewhere and the team might well need him to do it, regardless. And Sundqvist's size and more-than-occasional nastiness really helps his case as a "right-now" depth player.

Ideally, I would want Sundqvist as our first callup, getting big AHL minutes when we're healthy. I think he can still improve down there. But if we need him in the NHL, I'd be comfortable with him at 4C to go into the year.

For Simon, I didn't mean if he made the team at 4C. If he makes the team, I assume its in a top 9 wing spot. I just don't see him and OS fighting for the same spots really. So that's part of why I think OS is more ready, because I think he's filling a smaller role and has less competition for the spot. But I also don't see a development issue for Simon if he does get a spot because of that.

I think Simon's game looked fairly mature for his age in his brief stint up. Likely a product of where he came from as opposed to junior/college players. Of course, I suppose Sundqvist could say the same.

Honestly, I have no memory of Simon when he was up. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because I don't have negative memories either :laugh:

I think a lot of the readiness opinions (mine included) likely stem from the difference in familiarity with the two and the perceived difference in the role we want these guys to fill.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Simon was also good in his limited time in the NHL, so I don't think you can use that as support for Sundqvist. I picked Simon because his upside is drastically higher than Sundqvist's upside. Even if Simon doesn't hit his ceiling, I honestly don't even know if Sundqvist will be a better player. I really don't think Sundqvist will be more than a good 4th line center with snarl.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Simon. I've seen him play against team Canada at 2015 wc and he was literally the best Czech player (a team with Voracek, Sobotka, Jagr, Hertl, Kovar ..) He's a very smart, creative guy with a decent shot and great hands. Top 9 potential for sure.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have more faith in Oskar using his size to carve out a regular NHL roster spot. Both are projected to be contributing two way bottom six forwards. They are also not that far off of being rated the same Sundy 6.5B and Simon 7.0D. The upside Simon has isn't going to take away Sundqvist's size and he has been playing against men for a few years now. Plus the fact if they don't sign Cullen it's Sundqvist's spot to lose.

I believe we have lost track of Wilson. He should be in here.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I have more faith in Oskar using his size to carve out a regular NHL roster spot. Both are projected to be contributing two way bottom six forwards. They are also not that far off of being rated the same Sundy 6.5B and Simon 7.0D. The upside Simon has isn't going to take away Sundqvist's size and he has been playing against men for a few years now. Plus the fact if they don't sign Cullen it's Sundqvist's spot to lose.

I believe we have lost track of Wilson. He should be in here.

Are people more manly than Sweden than in the Czech republic in some way? Simon has even played more games in the Czech Elite League than Oskar has in the Swedish Elite League. Simon also participated in the WC last year which is quite high competition, and did very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad