Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2, Jets 1 (OT) - Phil in OT = Money; Letang in OT = Moron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
tumblr_nrqxi4O5RA1txyx4lo1_1280.png

And another.

Reactions: ColePens

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
As much as I'd like to see this team dominate everyone all the time, I do just want to see them turn it on every now and again. They did that against the oilers, who I think are better than their record. As long as they show a good effort every few games, I'm fine with them not looking as good in between.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Pens are currently 2nd last in PDO, so optimistically that should normalize as the year goes on.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pens are currently 2nd last in PDO, so optimistically that should normalize as the year goes on.

Well, there were some outlier games (in the bad direction) but I'd like to look at the analytics further after another 10 games. We are not having the same shooting percentage as last year and pucks are not going in 5 on 5. Sid and Geno still have not turned it on and it's worrisome because if we are giving up so many high quality shots like last year, we need to balance that by being opportunistic in goal scoring . Is this because our bottom two lines can't take advantage offensively of match ups, or lack of effort or creativity by the top guys, etc? Who knows yet. But if we're going to be giving up a lot of high quality shots to the opposition, the pucks on offense need to be going in at ES

kyle3434

Jul 16, 2005
I really wish Letang at some point in his life would have learned how to give a pass for a one-timer. I really miss Gonchar's ability to put it at the perfect pace in the perfect spot. Also, way way wayyyy too casual with the puck while being pressured near the blue line.

Letang was unlucky on the goal against. I felt he tried spinning away and pulling his stick in so the puck would go to the corner instead of hit him. Unlucky.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't really understand what Martin was thinking with the way he used the pens def last night.

Letang played 30 mins last night.

Maatta played 18 mins last night.

Way to many mins for Letang, not enough for Maatta IMO.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I love Phil Kessel. He is such a joy to watch play the game of hockey. He's sooooo easy to root for, too.

We're winning ugly this week, but we're winning.

I can't wait until 87 and 71 start taking over games again. It'll come.

I still HATE our first PP unit. Letang, ugh.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really wish Letang at some point in his life would have learned how to give a pass for a one-timer. I really miss Gonchar's ability to put it at the perfect pace in the perfect spot. Also, way way wayyyy too casual with the puck while being pressured near the blue line.

Letang was unlucky on the goal against. I felt he tried spinning away and pulling his stick in so the puck would go to the corner instead of hit him. Unlucky.
Gonchar also had wider passing lanes because the d had to respect his shot at all times. He's a tough comparison for anybody. Gonchar is probably a top 10 all time pp qb.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Gonchar also had wider passing lanes because the d had to respect his shot at all times. He's a tough comparison for anybody. Gonchar is probably a top 10 all time pp qb.
Soooo same thing for Schultz, right? We don't have to go back to 2009 to get someone who has a respectable shot from the top of the umbrella.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Keeping two teams with McDavid, Drai, Laine, Scheifele and Wheeler to one goal each is pretty damn impressive.

Yeah I was sort of shocked that some users didn't think the Pens played well. We even had an Oilers fan stop in here and tell us how frustrating it is to see our forwards get sticks on pucks and transition right back up to offense. I thought these 2 games were very well played.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The forwards have tightened up their gaps and back-checking the last two games , but still, we are giving up high scoring chances and 2-1s, and really we can thank Murray most for the low scoring games. The 5-5 offense is still a problem (without getting into Letang).

kyle3434

Jul 16, 2005

Letang's one time passes to Malkin are a lot of time's ahead of Malkin's right foot, so too far ahead. That means the passing lane is there if it can be too far ahead of Malkin. Now if his passes always were behind Malkin, I would agree with your reasoning.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The excuses have started for Sheahan.

Fun fact: Sheahan's got as many points in his 2 games with the Pens as Bonino has in his 5 games with the Predators. So what's your excuse for Bonino, once again, not producing in the early going?

ETA

Aug 8, 2008

Agreed. I was more upset about the unnecessary icing by Letang that led to the face off in the Pens zone and the ensuing goal***. To be fair, there were a number of unnecessary icings by Pens players last game.

***I'm disappointed the refs didn't check whether Letang's stick was above the crossbar ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Soooo same thing for Schultz, right? We don't have to go back to 2009 to get someone who has a respectable shot from the top of the umbrella.
Well yeah, he's obviously better at it. I'm just saying that gonchar is going to make most anyone else seem lacking, Schultz included.

Letangs main asset is his skating. His worst attributes are all highlighted when possessing the puck at a standstill. The powerplay qb role just isn't for him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well yeah, he's obviously better at it. I'm just saying that gonchar is going to make most anyone else seem lacking, Schultz included.

Letangs main asset is his skating. His worst attributes are all highlighted when possessing the puck at a standstill. The powerplay qb role just isn't for him.

Letang's always been at his best when he doesn't have time to think about what he's doing, he just lets his natural ability take over. The PP gives him too much time to think about what he needs to do, which in turn causes him to over-think things instead of just relying on his God-given talent.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd also say that Letang simply doesn't have good instincts on the PP to fall back on.

I think part of that is due to his limited hockey IQ and part of it to him kind of deferring to Sid/Geno/Kessel when he's on the PP. He second guesses himself on the PP, because he thinks he's got to get it over to one of those guys, instead of taking control of the PP as the QB.

Letang looks dangerous in the offensive zone at 5 on 5 because he doesn't defer as much. He'll go where his natural ability takes him, and be more confident about making a play. On the PP, it's like his mind is stuck in "gotta pass to one of the other guys" mode.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think part of that is due to his limited hockey IQ and part of it to him kind of deferring to Sid/Geno/Kessel when he's on the PP. He second guesses himself on the PP, because he thinks he's got to get it over to one of those guys, instead of taking control of the PP as the QB.

Letang looks dangerous in the offensive zone at 5 on 5 because he doesn't defer as much. He'll go where his natural ability takes him, and be more confident about making a play. On the PP, it's like his mind is stuck in "gotta pass to one of the other guys" mode.

I don't know how to describe him on the PP anymore. He's a massive contradiction.

You see him look like he's overthinking things and you see him clearly not think about what he's doing. You'll see him deferring and then you'll see him ignore Malkin to shoot into some shins or be pissy when he doesn't get the puck passed to him. I've seen him described as trying to keep up with Crosby and Malkin, but you could probably say he has delusions of taking over the PP. He's a mess on the PP and I don't think there's one specific problem to address.

I've been thinking about his season so far. We're at the point where rusty isn't the right word anymore. Still getting his confidence back, refining himself or struggling to find a groove may be more accurate. It's not surprising and it's still Letang's "process" when coming back from injury. His skating looks fine, his shot is as inaccurate from the point as ever and it's nothing new on the stupid front. Unless it's negligible to see but has a serious effect on him I think he's physically fine and we're seeing him coming back from a serious amount of time off.

His TOI is f***ing stupid, though.

STL: 26:05, 28 shifts (OT)
CHI: 23:43, 30 shifts (blowout)
NSH: 25:59, 33 shifts (Cole injury)
WSH: 27:09, 30 shifts
TBL: 25:38, 27 shifts
FLA: 28:20, 30 shifts
NYR: 27:01, 31 shifts (OT)
FLA: 26:18, 29 shifts
TBL: 22:46, 28 shifts (blowout)
EDM: 27:58, 32 shifts (OT, Schultz went down in P1)
WPG: 30:12, 30 shifts (OT, down 2 regular D)

He has the second highest ATOI of his career immediately coming off a serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad