Prospect Info: Penguins #10 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Prow takes #9. Added another defenseman, 2016 6th round pick Joe Masonius.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (86.21%) (+1)
#2 Jake Guentzel (67.41%) (+7)
#3 Oskar Sundqvist (39.68% in 3rd poll, 55.56% in run-off) (+-0)
#4 Dominik Simon (40.48% in 3rd poll, 44.33% in run-off) (+2)
#5 Lukas Bengtsson (43.75%) (new)
#6 Filip Gustavsson (49.49%) (new)
#7 Tristan Jarry (42.39%) (-2)
#8 Kasper Björkqvist (50.70%) (new)
#9 Ethan Prow (42.67%) (new)

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Voted Hall. Teddy is closer to being an NHL call up but I think Hall is more valuable now and has potential to be a top 4/6 D man.

Add Jeff Taylor!?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I went with Hall because of potential upside. Not Teddy's fault, but I don't know where he fits if Bones is re-signed.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Things are starting to get really muddy here. But I think we still have lots of prospects with upside and/or capabilities to play in the NHL someday that shouldn't written off. I'm not going to be one of those people go off about how ****** the rest of the prospects to choose from are.

I still really like Archibald. He had a really successful college campaign and I don't think it's too late for it to translate into AHL success. Rust and Kuhnhackl never set the AHL on fire and they turned out to be very effective players on the big club, so I'm hoping Archibald could follow the same route. And I think his speed, skill, and tenacity could translate and be really effective in Sullivan's system.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Things are starting to get really muddy here. But I think we still have lots of prospects with upside and/or capabilities to play in the NHL someday that shouldn't written off. I'm not going to be one of those people go off about how ****** the rest of the prospects to choose from are.

I agree totally. I think there's plenty of worthy prospects still even at 10+ on our list.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

I still really like Archibald. He had a really successful college campaign and I don't think it's too late for it to translate into AHL success. Rust and Kuhnhackl never set the AHL on fire and they turned out to be very effective players on the big club, so I'm hoping Archibald could follow the same route. And I think his speed, skill, and tenacity could translate and be really effective in Sullivan's system.

Two years ago I thought Archibald was a slam dunk to have a productive NHL career. He desperately needs to turn things around this season. I couldn't imagine him having a worse start to this pro career so far (sans injuries).

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Two years ago I thought Archibald was a slam dunk to have a productive NHL career. He desperately needs to turn things around this season. I couldn't imagine him having a worse start to this pro career so far (sans injuries).

Next season will be very telling for him. But I don't think there's any reason to freak out about his pro career yet.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Next season will be very telling for him. But I don't think there's any reason to freak out about his pro career yet.

Well, maybe you should be? Here is who he is competing against and how he stacks up against them:

- Archibald, 121 AHL games played, averages 22 points over 82 games. Slight ppg regression over his 2 seasons.
- Simon, 68 AHL games played, averaged 58 points over 82 game season. Rookie. 2 years younger than Archibald.
- Dea, 121 AHL games played, averages 39 points over 82 game season, 2+ years younger than Archibald.
- Sprong + Guentzel = limited AHL data, but already ahead of Archibald on depth chart.
- For comparison purposes, Wilson & Sheary averaged 70 & 74 points per 82 AHL games, respectively.
- Rust & Kuhn had lower production than the other above mentioned players, but both progressed every season and then had seamless transitions into the NHL.
- He's behind Sundqvist too and may be behind Blueger as well before too long.

Given his collegiate career and skillset, I'd say it is a massive disappointment for him to be where he is right now.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Well, maybe you should be? Here is who he is competing against and how he stacks up against them:

- Archibald, 121 AHL games played, averages 22 points over 82 games. Slight ppg regression over his 2 seasons.
- Simon, 68 AHL games played, averaged 58 points over 82 game season. Rookie. 2 years younger than Archibald.
- Dea, 121 AHL games played, averages 39 points over 82 game season, 2+ years younger than Archibald.
- Sprong + Guentzel = limited AHL data, but already ahead of Archibald on depth chart.
- For comparison purposes, Wilson & Sheary averaged 70 & 74 points per 82 AHL games, respectively.
- Rust & Kuhn had lower production than the other above mentioned players, but both progressed every season and then had seamless transitions into the NHL.
- He's behind Sundqvist too and may be behind Blueger as well before too long.

Given his collegiate career and skillset, I'd say it is a massive disappointment for him to be where he is right now.

Everyone develops differently. If his numbers don't look much better next year then it might be time to consider him a flop. Massive disappointment is a little extreme for someone that was a 6th round pick.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Everyone develops differently. If his numbers don't look much better next year then it might be time to consider him a flop. Massive disappointment is a little extreme for someone that was a 6th round pick.

The disappointment isn't in regards to where he was drafted. It's how he has looked/performed in the AHL compared to his collegiate career. There are scores of PPG collegiate players who never transitioned well in the pro's. I hope he's not one of them, but there is very little to be excited about so far and he continues to fall in the depth chart.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
The disappointment isn't in regards to where he was drafted. It's how he has looked/performed in the AHL compared to his collegiate career. There are scores of PPG collegiate players who never transitioned well in the pro's. I hope he's not one of them, but there is very little to be excited about so far and he continues to fall in the depth chart.

It definitely hasn't been a smooth transition. I get some of the skepticism but I just don't think he should written off quite yet. If his game starts coming together at the pro level, it'll come together in a big way I believe. If not, oh well, he was only a 6th round pick. It'll suck cause he showed some solid promise, but I won't lose too much sleep over it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Me too. Kinda want to know what everyone is seeing in him that I'm not.

These were my thoughts on Hall. From everything I read in the draft threads, he's not that great of a prospect, no very mobile, but is a defensive dman with size. Everyone seemed surprised and a little disappointed with the pick when it happened considering who else was on the table.

Why people are putting him above guys like Bleuger, Arhibald, and Dea is surprising to me.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
These were my thoughts on Hall. From everything I read in the draft threads, he's not that great of a prospect, no very mobile, but is a defensive dman with size. Everyone seemed surprised and a little disappointed with the pick when it happened considering who else was on the table.

Why people are putting him above guys like Bleuger, Arhibald, and Dea is surprising to me.

Hall was a late riser. Plenty of rankings had him going higher in the third. He was also one of our most impressive guys at camp. His footspeed is actually pretty good. I'd rank him above Bluegers any day.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I think Rust has already become what Archibald was/is projected to be. For now there's no room for him in Pittsburgh. But he's not ready anyway. With all those older prospects now graduated he needs to grab a top 6 spot in WBS and show some production.

And Hall had a lousy start to his draft year. Suspended for a head shot, then sidelined with a broken jaw. His stock likely would've been higher had he played a full season. OHLprospects said he had good straight-ahead speed but needs to improve his lateral and backwards skating. If he does he can become a 3rd pairing defensive defenseman with some serious snarl. Segalla seems the same type, only even less offensively gifted and 3 years older.

I'm still struggling to imagine a niche for Blueger in Pittsburgh. Stylewise he seems like a Bonino-type. Good two-way instincts, decent hands but not much of a shot, neither fast nor big. Overall he just always looked kind of meh.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

You just listed three players whose odds at carving out an NHL career right now are pretty darn low. So yeah, at this stage I'll take the relative unknown with a bit of pedigree.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
With blueger being picked that makes it SEVEN europeans in our top-10. Only sundqvist and blueger were acquired under shero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad